Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Eh, that doesn't really count. I mean I could decide that Abraham Lincoln really resonates with me and decide to change my name to Lincoln but that doesn't mean his family is living on through me.
    And you could have learned everything in your life worth knowing from them, been guided into who you were always meant to be, and totally found your calling in life due to your interactions with them, plus being clearly gifted with both their mission and their purpose by their deceased supernatural spirits, and it still wouldn't be enough for some people to accept that you were adopted in every way that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    And you could have learned everything in your life worth knowing from them, been guided into who you were always meant to be, and totally found your calling in life due to your interactions with them, plus being clearly gifted with both their mission and their purpose by their deceased supernatural spirits, and it still wouldn't be enough for some people to accept that you were adopted in every way that matters.
    Maybe some people remember that Rey actually had two parents who sacrificed everything so she can have a better life. Rey didn't like that part of her past so she just tossed it the first chance she got. It makes her come off as cold and opportunistic.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Maybe some people remember that Rey actually had two parents who sacrificed everything so she can have a better life. Rey didn't like that part of her past so she just tossed it the first chance she got. It makes her come off as cold and opportunistic.
    I don’t think that would have been as much of an issue if they’d managed to show her developing a relationship with Luke or Leia big enough to justify the “adoption” - but TLJ being over-invested in a pretentious melodrama with Luke that had no room for Rey and then Fisher sadly passed away.

For a comic comparison, Tim Drake is the Robin who had a living and loving father throughout the bulk of his comic run, and was christened Tim Wayne - at least in business contexts - in his Red Robin run... but it worked in terms of believability because Bruce had been acting as his father for the last few years and he’d been a Robin beforehand. Not everyone liked it, but more because it was part of the general darkening if the character, not because people thought he couldn’t take the name.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    The relationship wasn't really built up in the films well enough to sell that though. I mean some of that is due to Carrie Fisher passing away so you can't really fault them for that but they still had Hammil and could have made much better use of him if that was the ending they wanted for Rey because as it actually was they only shared what, maybe half an hour of screen time together? That's not enough time.

iMan 42s

Rey's ultimate issue is that she's descended from Palpatine. That's also a major issue of her parents *hence why they ditch him and are murdered for it, her not having a legacy or one directly tied to him is why they did that. Family doesn't have to be blood and the family Rey found in the Skywalkers was the better life for her.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Rey's ultimate issue is that she's descended from Palpatine. That's also a major issue of her parents *hence why they ditch him and are murdered for it, her not having a legacy or one directly tied to him is why they did that. Family doesn't have to be blood and the family Rey found in the Skywalkers was the better life for her.
    Luke: Finds out that Darth Vader is his father. Keeps the Skywalker name anyway and redeems it.

Rey: Takes the Skywalker name instead. It makes sense because Rey is first and foremost a scavenger. She got Anakin's blue saber long after his death. She got the Millennium Falcon after Han died. She got Luke's X-Wing after he died. Finally she took the Skywalker name for herself after every Skywalker died. The only thing she doesn't own outright is BB8, if I was Poe I would be very nervous right now.....
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    And yet three films in, the only person who I think has a story that actually tells a “found family” story for Rey is Finn in TFA... a character that TROS seemed to very specifically try and separate her from in terms of closeness, and who only really has the one film (sure, its the best/closest-thing-to-good movie in the Sequel Trilogy, but it’s all by its lonesome.)

And the only OT3 members she’s close to are Han (who died only a few hours after meeting her even though they clicked on-screen) and Leia (who they had to have click largely off screen due to Fisher’s passing.) And neither of them are Skywalker’s - Leia even has an arguably far more positive adoptive family legacy in the Organas that would make more in-universe sense for Rey to adopt.

Rian Johnson burned the bridges for making Rey a Skywalker, whether honorary or otherwise, as well as any chance of the Skywalker family story ending on even a real bitter sweet note, and LFL got buyer’s remorse.

I don’t think anyone will retcon the Sequel Trilogy. But I think the impulse would be completely justified.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

iMan 42s

Luke: Finds out that Darth Vader is his father. Keeps the Skywalker name anyway and redeems it.

Rey: Takes the Skywalker name instead. It makes sense because Rey is first and foremost a scavenger. She got Anakin's blue saber long after his death. She got the Millennium Falcon after Han died. She got Luke's X-Wing after he died. Finally she took the Skywalker name for herself after every Skywalker died. The only thing she doesn't own outright is BB8, if I was Poe I would be very nervous right now.....
    What's there to redeem with Palpatine?
    Everybody knows who the Emperor was. There is nothing to salvage from him be it his Sith legacy or the Empire that even Rey's parents wanted nothing to do with. And even then Luke was an unknown. Anakin gets a free pass because he would've died a war hero to the public and by the time people at large knew who Vader was Luke already had the reputation.
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Ok this is weird...apparently Newsweek is now reporting on this rumor as well. https://www.newsweek.com/disney-star...outube-1514433

Either Newsweek is really desperate for attention or they are covering the bases just in case Disney pulls a Warner Brothers (Snydercut) and does the unthinkable.

Ok this is weird...apparently Newsweek is now reporting on this rumor as well. https://www.newsweek.com/disney-star...outube-1514433

Either Newsweek is really desperate for attention or they are covering the bases just in case Disney pulls a Warner Brothers (Snydercut) and does the unthinkable.
    Clickbait is clickbait and commenting on the temper tantrums and weird alternate realities entitled Star Wars "fans" will cook up for themselves rather then just not watching movies they don't like is classic clickbait. Believe you me, this's going to go to the same place that the "Release the J.J. Cut" conspiracy theory, the petitions for a TLJ remake, and all the other "fan" antics went to when the peddlers of that nonsense realizing that their whining was getting them nothing and moved on to other stuff they could be outraged over.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

It takes some balls to admit that what you made is garbage and to erase it from canon. More balls than Disney has i'm afraid but man, just for the shitstorm that would create i'm still naively hoping.

I love drama, that's always hilarious to watch. (from a safe distance)

Honestly Rey being an adopted Skywalker could work if given the right set up but the way the sequel trilogy works doesn't mesh with the idea narratively. Her taking the name Solo or Organa would make a lot more sense. She actually bonded with Han and Leia but Luke was just some old grump who complained about her idealism.

iMan 42s

It's only reporting on the rumor. Sometimes sites just do that because it's big news within the community, it doesn't mean something is actually happening and to which they clarify that nothing did.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    It takes some balls to admit that what you made is garbage and to erase it from canon. More balls than Disney has i'm afraid but man, just for the shitstorm that would create i'm still naively hoping.
    Or they could just accept that the movies in question weren't up to scratch and move on with the intent of making sure future content is a good as they can make it. Heck, as the prequel trilogy and Clone Wars cartoon have shown, a weak movie series can still be built upon to great effect.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Or they could just accept that the movies in question weren't up to scratch and move on with the intent of making sure future content is a good as they can make it. Heck, as the prequel trilogy and Clone Wars cartoon have shown, a weak movie series can still be built upon to great effect.
    Why not both?

Star Trek has the Abramsverse
    Star Wars already did it to the EU.

Just put it under "Extended Universe" with the rest of the stuff.