Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Mini Tournament: The Public Domain

This will be another mini************, in a similar vein to my Martial Artists one.

The theme this time is Public domain figures. Public Domain figures are character's who are no longer own by any individual, and are thus able to be used in a multitude of different works at no cost. The Public domain includes all historical figures, mythological figures, and any works that are old enough.

For this tournament, you will be choose a specific version of a Public Domain Character (IE Marvel's Thor or Castlevania's Dracula), and will get feats from only that version.

To encourage a wide variety of sources, the following power caps will be in place

- Speed will be capped at lightning dodging (The slower stroke, to be specific)
    - Strength will be capped at lifting 100 tons
    - Explosive power will be capped tsar bomba levels of force
    - Characters are durable enough to survive their own attacks to whatever extent they are in canon.
    - Immortality is suspended, but healing factors are not.

I'd like to get 8 players for this

1. Frau Totenkinder (Fables)- Nschornhorst
    2. Raiden (Mortal Kombat)- The MunchKING
    3. Odin (Marvel Comics)- Darth Drizzle
    4. Stardust the Super-Wizard (Fox)- FrenchGemini
    5. Son Goku (Dragonball)- Jackalope89
    6. Nyarlathotep (Lovecraft) - KJS
    7. Sasaki Kojiro (Record of Ragnarok) - Froggy
    8. Lucifer (Vertigo)- Choptop
    Last edited by Jcogginsa; 06-29-2020 at 04:32 PM.

A Zest 4 KungFu Treachery Darth Drizzle's Avatar

Hmmm..

Can I pick Dragonball Multiverse's Zen Buu? He is not from DBZ and is from a fandom site but he only appears in that medium.

And if so is he capped to the rules or do I have to pick someone already within the rules above?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Drizzle View Post
    Hmmm..

Can I pick Dragonball Multiverse's Zen Buu? He is not from DBZ and is from a fandom site but he only appears in that medium.

And if so is he capped to the rules or do I have to pick someone already within the rules above?
    1. Buu is not a public domain character, being from a fanfic doesn't change that. However, Son Goku from regular Dragonball would be acceptable since he's a version of Sun Wukong

2. He would be capped to the rules.

I'm a little confused over the public domain characters.

For instance here is Dr. Doom's public domain page. That is not Victor Von Doom but I don't see him anywhere on public domain sites so is the above Dr Doom the character I get if I choose him?

The same goes for Doc Strange who is publicly listed but not Dr Strange aka Stephen Strange.

Mmm, Stardust the Super-Wizard is a Public Domain character, right? (at least TvTropes says so)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Drizzle View Post
    I'm a little confused over the public domain characters.

For instance here is Dr. Doom's public domain page. That is not Victor Von Doom but I don't see him anywhere on public domain sites so is the above Dr Doom the character I get if I choose him?

The same goes for Doc Strange who is publicly listed but not Dr Strange aka Stephen Strange.
    Victor Von Doom is not in the Public Domain, and he is not intended to be an adaptation of the version who was in the Public Domain, so Victor Von Doom is not Eligible. The same goes for Stephen Strange. He's not an adaptation of The Doc Strange character. If you chose Dr. Doom, you would get the Fox Comics version, not Victor Von Doom

When you look at the examples I gave in the opening post, Marvel's Version of Thor is choose-able because he is an adaptation of the mythological Thor. While Fox's Dr. Doom and Marvel's Dr. Doom are completely separate characters who coincidentally share a name.

My intent in this thread was for y'all to pick character's like Marvel's Thor. Copyrighted characters who are based on ones from the Public Domain. But if you want to pick a character like Doc Strange or Fox's Dr. Doom, I won't stop you from doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchGemini View Post
    Mmm, Stardust the Super-Wizard is a Public Domain character, right? (at least TvTropes says so)
    Yes

Okay, gonna go a different path than usual; Merlin from Arthurian Legend. Debated between him and a couple Greek heroes, but went with the old wizard instead.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Okay, gonna go a different path than usual; Merlin from Arthurian Legend. Debated between him and a couple Greek heroes, but went with the old wizard instead.
    Myths don't have a single canon. You'll need to either specify a specific work from the canon (Like Le Morte d'Arthur) or use a adaptation of him (Like Marvel's Merlin, or Disney's Merlin. Or the 7th Doctor)

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Myths don't have a single canon. You'll need to either specify a specific work from the canon (Like Le Morte d'Arthur) or use a adaptation of him (Like Marvel's Merlin, or Disney's Merlin. Or the 7th Doctor)
    *grumbles in annoyance* Even in the original works, there was a bunch of different versions. Screw it, I'll go with Hercules from Greek Myth. Not DC, Disney, or Marvel or whatever. Going OG on this one.

Extraordinary Member

*grumbles in annoyance* Even in the original works, there was a bunch of different versions. Screw it, I'll go with Hercules from Greek Myth. Not DC, Disney, or Marvel or whatever. Going OG on this one.
    Hercules has the same issue as Merlin.

I'll go with the Black Forest Witch (the witch from Hansel and Gretel) at the height of her power, where she was just a hair's breadth shy of being the elemental for all of magic. a.k.a. Frau Totenkinder/Bellflower of "Fables" from Vertigo Comics.

https://fables.fandom.com/wiki/Frau_Totenkinder

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Give me the famous stealer of belly-buttons himself! But not the Japanese myth Raiden, I'm not familiar enough with Japanese stories to pick an interpretation. I'll take the Mortal Kombat version of the God of Lightning. (It was that or the super Oni version from Makai Kingdom, and that one had less feats outside of general Nippon Ichi power-scaling)
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Why stop at Thor, go big or go home!

I'll go with Marvel's version of Odin, from Norse Mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Hercules has the same issue as Merlin.

The main thing in question is his early life. But I'm talking about 12 Labors Herc, not infant Herc, or too young to walk Herc. He's clever, absurdly strong, and Hera makes his life a living hell simply for existing.

Extraordinary Member

The main thing in question is his early life. But I'm talking about 12 Labors Herc, not infant Herc, or too young to walk Herc. He's clever, absurdly strong, and Hera makes his life a living hell simply for existing.
    Yeah, but there's no single version of the 12 labors out there. There are multiple.