View Poll Results: Who is closest to their source?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ant-Man (Lang)

    4 10.00%
  • The Black Panther

    10 25.00%
  • The Black Widow

    4 10.00%
  • Captain America

    27 67.50%
  • Doctor Strange

    10 25.00%
  • The Falcon

    2 5.00%
  • Hawkeye

    0 0%
  • The Hulk

    3 7.50%
  • Iron Man

    8 20.00%
  • Scarlet Witch

    0 0%
  • Spider-Man

    2 5.00%
  • Valkyrie

    0 0%
  • Vision

    5 12.50%
  • Wasp

    0 0%
  • Winter Soldier

    9 22.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 61
  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    You may be mistaken faithful as a 100% adaption of the source. Let me just come out and say, that is an impossible achievement. there is a difference between that and the characterisation itself.

    Evolution Wanda is the best portrayal of Wanda because it is the only portrayal of wanda that has covered all sides to her personality we have seen in the comics.

    WATX Wanda and Movie Wanda have failed to do so.
    Comic Wanda was never “generic goth chick with daddy issues”. Sorry.

  2. #17
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    You may be mistaken faithful as a 100% adaption of the source. Let me just come out and say, that is an impossible achievement. there is a difference between that and the characterisation itself.

    Evolution Wanda is the best portrayal of Wanda because it is the only portrayal of wanda that has covered all sides to her personality we have seen in the comics.

    WATX Wanda and Movie Wanda have failed to do so.
    Sorry but you managed to contradict your own point in the same post.

    And your first sentence here makes your other posts that are mostly of "How dare they change anything in a movie" or "they made a joke there, it is crap" esp. ironic.

    But to say that "Evolution Wanda is the best portrayal of Wanda because it is the only portrayal of wanda that has covered all sides to her personality we have seen in the comics" is one of the most funny things on the net at least for today.

  3. #18
    Wonder Moderator Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,525

    Default

    Okay, folks, this is a discussion about what people think are the best adaptations of comic characters to the big screen (MCU universe)

    This is *not* another thread to slam the MCU as a whole or to declare that the MCU has been 'Disneyfied'. There's a whole other thread for that.

    Stick to the topic and be nice about it, please
    Gaelforce
    Superman/Wonder Woman/TV Film Forum Moderator
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

  4. #19
    Mighty Member 90'sCartoonMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lala Land
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Uncle Ben exists in MCU.
    He exists, sure, but we don't know the extent of the influence he's had on who Peter Parker is. Aunt May is more like the Ultimate version, an Aunt May who was not only never on the verge of having a heart attack because of the kinds of danger Peter was in but also was able to accept and encourage him being Spider-Man. Since I don't know this Uncle Ben that was part of Peter's life, it feels like we're missing something from Spider-Man as a character.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    X-men Evolution was really bad about completely changing characters into things they weren't. Like Goth Rogue, teenage Forge from the 60s, well adjusted teenage videogamer Arcade, the entire Brotherhood ...
    That felt like they were trying to update the characters. For all we know, in another decade or so, some MCU characters will feel like poor attempts to be hip and modern.

  5. #20
    Peter Scott SpiderClops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    7,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    He exists, sure, but we don't know the extent of the influence he's had on who Peter Parker is. Aunt May is more like the Ultimate version, an Aunt May who was not only never on the verge of having a heart attack because of the kinds of danger Peter was in but also was able to accept and encourage him being Spider-Man. Since I don't know this Uncle Ben that was part of Peter's life, it feels like we're missing something from Spider-Man as a character.
    "When you can do the things I can, but you don't. And then bad things happen. They happen because of you."

    -Peter Parker to Tony Stark in Captain America: Civil War.

    I don't need anything more than that to know how much Uncle Ben has affected his life.

  6. #21
    Mighty Member 90'sCartoonMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lala Land
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    "When you can do the things I can, but you don't. And then bad things happen. They happen because of you."

    -Peter Parker to Tony Stark in Captain America: Civil War.

    I don't need anything more than that to know how much Uncle Ben has affected his life.
    Sure, because we know Spider-Man, his backstory, and have probably seen many different interpretations of him and can fill in the blanks, that line is very effective. Thinking about the MCU as someone's first (and possibly the one that leaves the biggest impression) exposure to Spider-Man, I'd prefer them to know more about Uncle Ben, if not actually see him on screen so we can see Tom Holland play off this Uncle Ben actor.

    I almost included lack of J. Jonah Jameson as well (because I've always thought Jameson is one of the most important supporting characters in Peter's life), but given what we've seen of him, I'm optimistic about the way he's handled. Who knows? Maybe we'll see the MCU Spider-Man's full origin in the future. Despite people saying they don't need Uncle Ben again after the Raimi and Amazing movies, I think it's a disservice to this version of the character not to have an MCU version of him.

  7. #22
    Fantastic Member basbash99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    East Taunton, Mass, USA
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Gunn's GotG is very faithful to the DnA Guardians.
    I disagree. Drax in particular is way different from the DnA depiction. Peter Quill was more of world weary ex-superhero forced into a leadership role than a happy go-lucky Han Solo wannabe that was in a state of arrested adolescence. Rocket wasn't so much "angry new york/jersey guy" in terms of personality. And let's not get into Mantis.

    Mind you, i love both GotG movies but the members do vary considerably from their comic counterparts imo.

  8. #23
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    ...So then I said screw it and voted for Vision because he's still a synthezoid created by Ultron who joins the Avengers and discovers his humanity. Feels like they hit the major beats with him.
    Vision doesn't necessarily deviate the most from the source of any of the MCU characters, but he's one of those that I think deviates the most. He spends almost no time in the films struggling with who and what he is, which was one of his major 616 beats.

  9. #24
    Fantastic Member Castle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I disagree. Drax in particular is way different from the DnA depiction. Peter Quill was more of world weary ex-superhero forced into a leadership role than a happy go-lucky Han Solo wannabe that was in a state of arrested adolescence. Rocket wasn't so much "angry new york/jersey guy" in terms of personality. And let's not get into Mantis.

    Mind you, i love both GotG movies but the members do vary considerably from their comic counterparts imo.
    GOTG quarried my mind, After the film was out I had to learn more about the series and download some comics online to see if marvel has done anything so far off. It turns out they hadn't. We were talking of 2nd tier comic characters in another thread but prior to the movies I think GOTG were more like 4 tier characters to Iron Man and Thor that were 2nd tier characters.

    This could be the very reason there is nothing about the comics that is faithful to the movies. I think to a limited extent, it worked for GOTG but for such an Iconic character like Spiderman and his life with Uncle Ben, it doesn't.

  10. #25
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    8,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    GOTG quarried my mind, After the film was out I had to learn more about the series and download some comics online to see if marvel has done anything so far off. It turns out they hadn't. We were talking of 2nd tier comic characters in another thread but prior to the movies I think GOTG were more like 4 tier characters to Iron Man and Thor that were 2nd tier characters.

    This could be the very reason there is nothing about the comics that is faithful to the movies. I think to a limited extent, it worked for GOTG but for such an Iconic character like Spiderman and his life with Uncle Ben, it doesn't.
    Yet Spidermans as big as ever. So what you meant to say was it doesn't work for you. Clearly for the majority of the movie going audience it worked just fine.

  11. #26
    Fantastic Member Castle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yet Spidermans as big as ever. So what you meant to say was it doesn't work for you. Clearly for the majority of the movie going audience it worked just fine.
    Its about faithful to the source, Uncle Ben and Spiderman are interchangeable, You can't tell a batman film without not having to an extent the presence of what his parents death meant. you cant tell an xmen story without what separates or binds mutants and humans together and you definitely cant tell a superman story without him leaving kypton to come to earth. Spiderman is missing that foundation where all his stories were born.

    Clearly for the majority of the movie going audience it worked just fine.
    But the majority will tell you how much MCU Spiderman is the least most faithful, which is what the OP asked.

  12. #27
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    ...But the majority will tell you how much MCU Spiderman is the least most faithful, which is what the OP asked.
    No more so than Scarlet Witch. So, no, not necessarily least faithful.

  13. #28
    Fantastic Member Castle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    No more so than Scarlet Witch. So, no, not necessarily least faithful.
    I can give Scarlet Witch a Pass. MCU could not use mutants or give her that back story, though later changed in the comics and a big mistake that marvel made because you should never change your decades source material for a future movie.

    The issue with scarlet witch is, she has not really had a story since Age of Ultron and the little promos we have seen from Wandavision seems very flaky of the character to the source. I am not demanding Netflix Sabrina the teenage witch but I dont want nickelodeons 90s sabrina either, which seems to be the direction MCU is taking the character.

    I kind of change my mind though not fully, the most faithful to the source material of scarlet witch was X-Men TAS but we only saw her once unlike Evoluton where she was a major character.

    As for Spiderman, compared to other sources, MCU is the least faithful. the most faithful would be the Amazing Spiderman movies. This is not the same as scarlet witch, where MCU could not say anything about mutants, MCU had access to Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy and they should not have made Aunt May young.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-05-2020 at 04:09 PM.

  14. #29
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    11,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Its about faithful to the source, Uncle Ben and Spiderman are interchangeable, You can't tell a batman film without not having to an extent the presence of what his parents death meant. you cant tell an xmen story without what separates or binds mutants and humans together and you definitely cant tell a superman story without him leaving kypton to come to earth. Spiderman is missing that foundation where all his stories were born.



    But the majority will tell you how much MCU Spiderman is the least most faithful, which is what the OP asked.
    The origin having been told twice in 2 semi-recent films does make telling it a third time a bit redundant, especially when one of the biggest complaints about superhero films is always having to make an origin film - although they could use a couple more lines calling back to Uncle Ben tp remind us without having to have 30 or so minutes of a movie taken up by it yet again. Still, this Spidey quips, unlike the Raimi Spider-Man, so his characterization seems more in line with the comics. I haven't seen anything with Garfield's Spidey so I can't comment on him.

    Batman gets the origin retold since it has been relatively long between takes - by the time the next Batman film comes out it will have been longer between that film and Batman Begins than it was between the latter film and Burton's first Batman film. Meanwhile the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man film is only 3 years older than Nolan's Batman, yet we are on our third live action version now.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

  15. #30
    Fantastic Member Castle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The origin having been told twice in 2 semi-recent films does make telling it a third time a bit redundant, especially when one of the biggest complaints about superhero films is always having to make an origin film - although they could use a couple more lines calling back to Uncle Ben tp remind us without having to have 30 or so minutes of a movie taken up by it yet again. Still, this Spidey quips, unlike the Raimi Spider-Man, so his characterization seems more in line with the comics. I haven't seen anything with Garfield's Spidey so I can't comment on him.

    .
    I never asked for origins stories. there needed to be some major quick flash back or strong presence that uncle ben's soul was still there. Its missing in the MCU. more so than ever, the source does not make Spiderman career goals about Avengers or the marvel universe. There is a reason, Spiderman is maybe the only character in the MCU that has his own authentic universe and this came from the source. You don't need the MCU or other marvel comic sources to enjoy Spiderman.


    . Still, this Spidey quips, unlike the Raimi Spider-Man, so his characterization seems more in line with the comics. I haven't seen anything with Garfield's Spidey so I can't comment on him.
    Raimi Spiderman is the best interpretation of the character down to the quips. Raimi quips was not done to look too kid friendly like Holland's quips and Garfield quips were too teen angst and bullyish. Raimi quips had the edge of perfect sarcasm. Garfield, though was the one that followed the source more closely but nowhere 100% faithfully.

    Batman gets the origin retold since it has been relatively long between takes - by the time the next Batman film comes out it will have been longer between that film and Batman Begins than it was between the latter film and Burton's first Batman film. Meanwhile the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man film is only 3 years older than Nolan's Batman, yet we are on our third live action version now.
    Batman gets flash backs. Batman Begins, Batman and Robin and Dawn of Justice used Flash backs. they were not 100% origins films.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-05-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •