Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How do you store your omnibus books

I have a few very thick omnibus books, is there a way to bag and board them or protect them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mider2009 View Post
    I have a few very thick omnibus books, is there a way to bag and board them or protect them?
    I will supose your ominibus books are Hard Covers.
    You can store them Horizontally, like that they don't fall, or the weight doesn't apply on the bottom side of the cover.
    Then you can buy book corners (aka corner protectors).
    You can also buy clear book covers - fitting ones or roll of plastic and you cut out the cover yourself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    I will supose your ominibus books are Hard Covers.
    You can store them Horizontally, like that they don't fall, or the weight doesn't apply on the bottom side of the cover.
    Then you can buy book corners (aka corner protectors).
    You can also buy clear book covers - fitting ones or roll of plastic and you cut out the cover yourself.
    Many are but the mask omnibus are not hard cover.

índice.jpg

Do you guys think this is the best way? I'm not sure

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    índice.jpg

Do you guys think this is the best way? I'm not sure
    I store mine on shelves, vertically. I would never stack them flat, especially 3 and 4 high.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Aren't Omnibus supposed to be stored horizontally?

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Aren't Omnibus supposed to be stored horizontally?
    There are no laws !

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I store mine on shelves, vertically. I would never stack them flat, especially 3 and 4 high.
    Why wouldn't you stack them ?

I've always stored them vertically, like you would see at a library or a bookstore. That seems the most logical to me.

While prepping for a house move, and doing construction in my basement, I moved all my omnis to another room, stacked them horizontally on a bookshelf and tarped them down to keep dust out.
    After the move, everything is back vertical, like I personally like them, but no books had any damage via the 3-4 months being stacked horizontally. if it's hard on spines or glue or whatever, I have no idea.

Mainly to me, it seems like the most sense to stack them vertically. They look better, and if you want ONE book, you grab that one book, vs. having to move 2-3 books on top of it to get to that one book.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

I bag em and store them standing in a plastic tub. No dust no chance of smoke or water damage and easy to store. They are too heavy for books shelves usually.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I bag em and store them standing in a plastic tub. No dust no chance of smoke or water damage and easy to store. They are too heavy for books shelves usually.
    What do you use to bag them, would a large treasury size comic bag work?

And wouldn't the corners get bent over time if stored on the plastic tub?

Mine are in storage tubs right now too. I have a room I'm going to paint first and then I'll be putting in a large Kallax shelf from Ikea to store/display them on.

Incredible Member

I see this type of topic come up a lot after being in the OHC hobby and lurking around these forums for over a decade. In that time I have stored my books both horizontally for several years when I didn’t have shelves, and vertically once I got them set up. There have been negatives to both. Granted I am not a professional librarian or trained curator so this is my personal anecdotal opinion.

When I stored my books horizontally I took extreme care to line them up so all edges were squared up and aligned, I also alternated the spines so that they were not all on top of each other. I stocked them 4-5 books high and tried to keep the thicker heavier books on the bottom to minimize any potential compressional stress on the binding. Despite the care I took and frequent checks and shuffling due to reading, I found many books started to “slide”. What I mean by this is that when viewed from the top a books front cover would start to protrude further out than the back cover. I don’t know if maybe the surface was not level or if there were some other unknown factor, but I am quite anal about my books and as I said I aligned them precisely also they were on top of an extra coffee table and desk I had, so the surfaces were stout and flat. I can only imagine what could happen on a shelf that may have some sag in it.

Once I got my shelves set up I put everything vertical which introduced it’s own issues. I will no longer store any of these books for a significant length of time without making “book shoes” for them. See my posts starting with #40 in this thread (https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ected-editions) for the reason why. In addition to the page sag issue I have also noticed that the older heavier books have had the cover boards flatten on the bottom. It has been very noticeable on the older Omni’s that had the faux leather covers where the texture has been flattened and the edge has gained an almost shiny finish and the cardboard backing has been compressed to some degree making it so the case wrap can be bubbled up from it as it is no longer tight. By making the “shoes” you not only support the page block relieving the stress from the upper binding and keeping the page sag from distorting the pages, but you also distribute the weight across a larger surface and that should take the stress of the thin cardboard cover edges.

For a long time I would see people here and elsewhere talk about the potential damage long term storage of these books vertically might have on their construction and thought it was overblown. I have since come around, but I have also had negative effects personally observed from storing them flat as well. I find that the negative effects of vertical storage can be more easily mitigated than the ones I experienced from horizontal storage. Everyone is going to be different in what constitutes, or what level of degradation they are willing to accept in their collection. For me I am, as stated, very particular about the condition of my collection due to what I have spent on some whales, as well as what some books I bought new that have become whales, are valued at. Take my opinion/experience for what you may, but for how often this comes up I thought I would put out my experience from having been at this a while now and seeing the effects over a period of time from both storage styles.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    I see this type of topic come up a lot after being in the OHC hobby and lurking around these forums for over a decade. In that time I have stored my books both horizontally for several years when I didn’t have shelves, and vertically once I got them set up. There have been negatives to both. Granted I am not a professional librarian or trained curator so this is my personal anecdotal opinion.

When I stored my books horizontally I took extreme care to line them up so all edges were squared up and aligned, I also alternated the spines so that they were not all on top of each other. I stocked them 4-5 books high and tried to keep the thicker heavier books on the bottom to minimize any potential compressional stress on the binding. Despite the care I took and frequent checks and shuffling due to reading, I found many books started to “slide”. What I mean by this is that when viewed from the top a books front cover would start to protrude further out than the back cover. I don’t know if maybe the surface was not level or if there were some other unknown factor, but I am quite anal about my books and as I said I aligned them precisely also they were on top of an extra coffee table and desk I had, so the surfaces were stout and flat. I can only imagine what could happen on a shelf that may have some sag in it.

Once I got my shelves set up I put everything vertical which introduced it’s own issues. I will no longer store any of these books for a significant length of time without making “book shoes” for them. See my posts starting with #40 in this thread (https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ected-editions) for the reason why. In addition to the page sag issue I have also noticed that the older heavier books have had the cover boards flatten on the bottom. It has been very noticeable on the older Omni’s that had the faux leather covers where the texture has been flattened and the edge has gained an almost shiny finish and the cardboard backing has been compressed to some degree making it so the case wrap can be bubbled up from it as it is no longer tight. By making the “shoes” you not only support the page block relieving the stress from the upper binding and keeping the page sag from distorting the pages, but you also distribute the weight across a larger surface and that should take the stress of the thin cardboard cover edges.

For a long time I would see people here and elsewhere talk about the potential damage long term storage of these books vertically might have on their construction and thought it was overblown. I have since come around, but I have also had negative effects personally observed from storing them flat as well. I find that the negative effects of vertical storage can be more easily mitigated than the ones I experienced from horizontal storage. Everyone is going to be different in what constitutes, or what level of degradation they are willing to accept in their collection. For me I am, as stated, very particular about the condition of my collection due to what I have spent on some whales, as well as what some books I bought new that have become whales, are valued at. Take my opinion/experience for what you may, but for how often this comes up I thought I would put out my experience from having been at this a while now and seeing the effects over a period of time from both storage styles.
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but if we have the spine of the Omni facing out for example there is no gap in which to put the board. Do you just insert under the other end and then put it back the way it was? Thanks!

Librarians say you should store heavy books horizontally, without stacking if possible