Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Default Rumors about post-pandemic Marvel

This is a RUMOR from BleedingCool. Nothing is confirmed so far.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...s-on-the-core/

Summary:

- Less limited series, one-shots and books featuring lesser known characters
    - Legacy characters may still thrive, but we shouldn't expect the original characters to be replaced anymore
    - More focus on core titles and a bigger expectation about titles performing well in the direct market
    - Marvel was concerned about Empyre pre-pandemic, but they have high expectations for it now, specially its critical acclaim and the changes it'll bring to the MU
    - Some Empyre tie-ins have been cancelled indeed
    - Summer 2021 event will be all about Knull and Venom
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 06-23-2020 at 05:01 PM.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

"less z-list characters"
    "an entire event involving Knull"

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    "less z-list characters"

Pretty much my thought too lol.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I feel like the whole direct market thing is by far the worst decision if true. Now would be the time for them to explore other markets, not reinforce their dependence on the old model. A lot of books won't even stand a chance if the direct market is a bigger deciding factor now. Say bye bye to books like Runaways or Ms. Marvel having long runs.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    "less z-list characters"

LOL. I guess this decision would be more about Venom than Knull. I mean, Knull only exists because of Venom.

Less core books and a more focused line could be a good thing because a lot of good, smaller books cannibalize each other and get no marketing. Like Marvel just kinda approves comics they know won't make enough profit for them. But also, please finish that goddamn Runaways run. Also, suddenly getting really picky about where books make money is um, strange. And a linewide event with tie-ins in ongoings like Avengers being about stuff spinning out of Venom of all books sounds absurd.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    This would be a big shame.

I wonder if this might impact Outalwed too since that was going out of it's way to revive a lot of old-school, classic, young hero books as limited series. Of course there's always been the question of what kind of re-structuring is going on with that event now.
    - Legacy characters may still thrive, but we shouldn't expect the original characters to be replaced anymore
    I don't mind this. I mean, I'm not averse to legacy heroes, but I feel like Marvel pretty much tapped out the concept during the ANAD era and I think they shouldn't be in a rush to replace anyone right now. Steve was only back for, what, 2-3 years before they replaced him again? You need to space that stuff out.

I guess the Champions characters are probably the kind of legacy heroes who will still thrive.
    - More focus on core titles and a bigger expectation about titles performing well in the direct market
    From a business sense it makes sense to re-focus on your core titles, but I hope the increased expectations doesn't end up being a noose hanging around their neck.
    - Marvel was concerned about Empyre pre-pandemic, but they have high expectations for it now, specially its critical acclaim and the changes it'll bring to the MU
    I guess it's good that Marvel is so confident in the event. I hope it meets their (hopefully not too high) expectations.
    - Some Empyre tie-ins have been cancelled indeed
    Not surprised.
    - Summer 2021 event will be all about Knull and Venom
    Also not surprised considering Cates' rising stardom and how well Venom sells, and Marvel probably wants a "sure hit" for next year.

I'm guessing Venom and Thor will be the core books for that event.

I'd be kinda upset if 2021 is all about Venom instead of the Fantastic Four's 60th anniversary, but that's just me...
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Kinda peeved that it was just Immortal Hulk that pushed them to allow Ewing to co-write an event

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I'd be kinda upset if 2021 is all about Venom instead of the Fantastic Four's 60th anniversary, but that's just me...
    Hopefully they can do both .

And marvel has failed. Spider-man was a one shot hero in the last issue of a dead title. Marvel took a risk and it paid off. Deadpool got a try out in a mini series after showing up in new mutants. Transformers and power pack did so well they become ongoing. Spider-gwen, ms marvel and other now big heroes got their start in one shots and mini series or were new heroes. Remove these and you may have missed a hero that could take off as the next deadpool or ms marvel.

Also look how well dc's wonder woman, raven and beast boy one shots sold even beating out all marvel titles on the book charts at the time and they were one shot trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Also, suddenly getting really picky about where books make money is um, strange.
    To play devil's advocate here, the rumor claims it's because of ''financial concerns'' due to the pandemic. I guess that is one reason to justify changing the way you look at your profits, even if I disagree with the method.

A more concise line makes sense, but they should be focusing more on digital instead of cancelling books because they don't on the direct market.

Christ more Knull? Aaron and Cates on an event does not arouse much excitement.
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Kinda peeved that it was just Immortal Hulk that pushed them to allow Ewing to co-write an event
    Immortal Hulk is the first thing of his that’s sold well. Quality has nothing to do with it when it comes to creative leeway, it’s all about that $$$.

I had to google to see who Knuill was. Which might be a problem for a 2021 event.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.