Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I feel like the whole direct market thing is by far the worst decision if true. Now would be the time for them to explore other markets, not reinforce their dependence on the old model. A lot of books won't even stand a chance if the direct market is a bigger deciding factor now. Say bye bye to books like Runaways or Ms. Marvel having long runs.

LOL. I guess this decision would be more about Venom than Knull. I mean, Knull only exists because of Venom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    A more concise line makes sense, but they should be focusing more on digital instead of cancelling books because they don't on the direct market.
    Pretty much this, hopefully they meant single issues, regardless of format, and will continue to push digital, but trades make the industry the bulk of its money right now. I get that it is harder to see how successful a book will be in tpb VS single issues, because you have to wait for 5 to 6 issues to even be complete before you can know, but it would be a shame to see tpb successes like Squirrel Girl, which sold low numbers in single issues but then cracked the NY Times Bestseller list in trade, and they out out an OGN for the series because of its success in that market, not being given a chance.

I get the desire to focus on more core characters for now, but hopefully it is just a temporary measure for a year or so, and won't affect stories already in progress

To the people griping about Knull, I think the focus there should be more on Venom, since he is the protagonist, and Knull is the villain, and I doubt the core character directive applies to villains.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I'd be kinda upset if 2021 is all about Venom instead of the Fantastic Four's 60th anniversary, but that's just me...
    Bingo....I hope there are plans and we just haven't been made privy to anything yet. They should get some of the more esteemed FF creators on board with this. Maybe even court Mark Waid, Jonathan Hickman and even John Byrne for a contribution.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I had to google to see who Knuill was. Which might be a problem for a 2021 event.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that was like "huh?"

BCs rumors being on the mark are about 30% honestly.

The Venom event seems like they are still chasing after Metal but with Venom 2 in 2021, it sadly seems like a no brainer (Can't wait for Cates to show how badass he is by beating everyone only to be stopped by Eddie's son) and the core titles focus is laughable because Marvel always wants to bring out a new hero and see if its a hit, even after the bubble burst back in the 90s.

Also, not focusing on digital or one shot YA trades is getting really foolish considering the audience for them is right there but Marvel is doubling down on the direct market. Doesn't help with the ON SALE WEDNESDAY variants which no one is gonna buy at all.

Again, this is a BC rumor so I wouldn't put any stock in it but this plan already is a mess.

Astonishing Member

This is all about money and risk, and the pandemic has made Marvel cautious. Once they've recovered they'll get back to business as usual, and the longer the pandemic lasts the bigger impact it'll have on the company financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post

Again, this is a BC rumor so I wouldn't put any stock in it but this plan already is a mess.
    You're underselling Rich Johnston's track record.

- Less limited series, one-shots and books featuring lesser known characters
    - Legacy characters may still thrive, but we shouldn't expect the original characters to be replaced anymore
    - More focus on core titles and a bigger expectation about titles performing well in the direct market
    - Marvel was concerned about Empyre pre-pandemic, but they have high expectations for it now, specially its critical acclaim and the changes it'll bring to the MU
    - Some Empyre tie-ins have been cancelled indeed
    - Summer 2021 event will be all about Knull and Venom

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post

The Venom event seems like they are still chasing after Metal but with Venom 2 in 2021, it sadly seems like a no brainer (Can't wait for Cates to show how badass he is by beating everyone only to be stopped by Eddie's son) and the core titles focus is laughable because Marvel always wants to bring out a new hero and see if its a hit, even after the bubble burst back in the 90s.

Also, not focusing on digital or one shot YA trades is getting really foolish considering the audience for them is right there but Marvel is doubling down on the direct market. Doesn't help with the ON SALE WEDNESDAY variants which no one is gonna buy at all.

Yeah, if this is true, Marvel's business model is outdated. They should be focusing on digital and not just the direct market. Instead, their last two attempts at a digital line have been bad ideas. First they did double issue digital exclusives. Using the Netflix characters. Guess what? Those characters were the wrong ones to do that with. They should've focused on characters younger readers like. The Jessica Jones comics ended up getting a print release later anyway, since that's where her audience really is. The current digital exclusive comics are just finales of series that are cancelled or ending. Which pissed off a lot of people because if they want to read those comics in print, they have to buy the TPB, therefore double dipping on earlier issues, with the exception of Ironheart which was a two issue mini released entirely digitally. The comics that SHOULD be digital exclusive, are titles like Runaways and in fact pretty much anything with a teen lead except for Miles Morales (the only one that sells above 20k in direct market regularly) - had Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl still been running I'd have said the same about those.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

That part about Venom and Knull is odd because Marvel had a major event with the former very recently, why are they going back to the well so soon?

But the other aspects of the rumor look quite likely. Marvel (for whatever reason) is married to the direct market and seem unwilling to break away with it (DC was even the first company to go day and date digital). But renewed focus on the DM definitely isn’t the way to go IMO.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    And marvel has failed. Spider-man was a one shot hero in the last issue of a dead title. Marvel took a risk and it paid off. Deadpool got a try out in a mini series after showing up in new mutants. Transformers and power pack did so well they become ongoing. Spider-gwen, ms marvel and other now big heroes got their start in one shots and mini series or were new heroes. Remove these and you may have missed a hero that could take off as the next deadpool or ms marvel.

Also look how well dc's wonder woman, raven and beast boy one shots sold even beating out all marvel titles on the book charts at the time and they were one shot trades.
    They're doing less; not putting out 30 per month.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    And marvel has failed. Spider-man was a one shot hero in the last issue of a dead title. Marvel took a risk and it paid off. Deadpool got a try out in a mini series after showing up in new mutants. Transformers and power pack did so well they become ongoing. Spider-gwen, ms marvel and other now big heroes got their start in one shots and mini series or were new heroes. Remove these and you may have missed a hero that could take off as the next deadpool or ms marvel.

Also look how well dc's wonder woman, raven and beast boy one shots sold even beating out all marvel titles on the book charts at the time and they were one shot trades.
    I don't know if trying what worked with spiderman is the way they should be thinking. Being stuck in the past is what gets them in trouble.

I don't see anything about not using new characters?

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    You're underselling Rich Johnston's track record.
    No, I'm right on the mark. I'll never forget someone on a forums leaking Civil War 2's first issue and he tried to get on the forum and interview the person. It was so pathetic.

- Legacy characters may still thrive, but we shouldn't expect the original characters to be replaced anymore
    Wasn't that literally what was already happening with Fresh Start?

Spectacular Member

Donnie Cates has really gone out of his way to ensure that Knull has a lasting effect on the greater MU. He seems to use him at every opportunity, and I wouldn't be surprised if next year's big event did involve him in some major way.