Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Wasn't that literally what was already happening with Fresh Start?
    I mean, in case anyone was assuming they'd do it again or try and go for synergy with the MCU I guess? So the Avengers Trinity is probably safe even if they're not in the movies anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That part about Venom and Knull is odd because Marvel had a major event with the former very recently, why are they going back to the well so soon?
    When does Venom 2 come out again? Movie schedules are so screwed up now, I lost track... but may be trying to capitalize on that?

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That part about Venom and Knull is odd because Marvel had a major event with the former very recently, why are they going back to the well so soon?
    Money? If they have financial concerns and want to focus on things that are safer, then I guess another Venom event is a no-brainer for them. Also, the BC article describes this new event as a sequel to the Carnage one, so maybe that was already planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Wasn't that literally what was already happening with Fresh Start?
    To a certain extent, but the fact that they replaced Iron Man so quickly after he came back clearly showed that they were willing to do it again in a heartbeat, despite how many fans complained about it. I guess it's possible that now's the time when they're gonna put their feet down and say no more.

I think a lot of the focus on core books and direct market sales has to do with comic book shops. I mean, they were hit pretty hard by the pandemic. It's fine for Marvel if a trade sells well on Amazon, but it sucks for the shops. Focusing on the direct market and core titles that sell well is probably better for them.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

"- More focus on core titles and a bigger expectation about titles performing well in the direct market"

Wait..don't low selling books make most of their money digitally? Why do they care so much about the direct market now?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    I think a lot of the focus on core books and direct market sales has to do with comic book shops. I mean, they were hit pretty hard by the pandemic. It's fine for Marvel if a trade sells well on Amazon, but it sucks for the shops. Focusing on the direct market and core titles that sell well is probably better for them.
    And what is stopping those comic book stores from stocking those trades???

And are these not some of the SAME stores that were calling for employees at Marvel and DC over books that featured certain demographics?

Marvel can't pander to a market that has been HOSTILE to them over certain books that marvel did NOT force anyone to order.

Ms Marvel nor Miles nor any of the hated so-called SJW books can not put a store out of business.

The last time I checked EVERYTHING in a comic book store can be bought CHEAPER elsewhere. If one chooses to go that route.

Core titles can't stop that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    "- More focus on core titles and a bigger expectation about titles performing well in the direct market"

Wait..don't low selling books make most of their money digitally? Why do they care so much about the direct market now?
    Probably a reaction to DC's antics of looking at other markets. Markets were marvel was already there.

I am like you-why care now? Because it didn't care for you at times.

You can't make Ms Marvel sell more floppies-too many hate her in the direct market. Marvel has to accept that.

I know some will think this mean that HATED New Warriors book will never see the day. Well if they don't see the day NEITHER does any pitch with the original cast as well.

If it means the only black lead books are Miles and Panther-that doesn't help Storm, Falcon and the rest.

Now Young Avengers and other fringe books.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And what is stopping those comic book stores from stocking those trades???

And are these not some of the SAME stores that were calling for employees at Marvel and DC over books that featured certain demographics?

Marvel can't pander to a market that has been HOSTILE to them over certain books that marvel did NOT force anyone to order.

Ms Marvel nor Miles nor any of the hated so-called SJW books can not put a store out of business.

The last time I checked EVERYTHING in a comic book store can be bought CHEAPER elsewhere. If one chooses to go that route.

Core titles can't stop that.
    Comic shops don't have direct competition when it comes to buying floppies. Sure, someone could just get a digital comic, but comic shops are the easiest way to get floppies. It's much easier to order a trade on the internet. Nothing is stopping shops from ordering trades, but that doesn't mean they'll sell considering there's a better alternative in buying them online.

Honestly don't know where you're going with this point.

Didn't Marvel require stores to meet certain order thresholds in order to get certain variant covers? A couple years back, Marvel forced stores to over-order books in order to get certain variant covers. Would be surprised if the same or similar tactics are not still being used. That's kind of forcing stores to order books they don't need.

Nonetheless, the number of comic book shops is shrinking. Are SJW books to blame? I don't think so, but the decreasing number of comic shops is undeniable.

I don't think floppies sell cheaper elsewhere, but I could be mistaken.

I honestly think the comic shops are in an irreversible decline as the comic industry becomes more digital. The efforts to prioritize the direct market are an attempt to prop up a market that relies on a physical product in an increasingly digital age.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

You think Marvel was lying about how great their digital sales were?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

All I know is that there better be a Captain Marvel book or I'm out!

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    All I know is that there better be a Captain Marvel book or I'm out!
    I'm pretty sure Captain Marvel is safe. Haters can't even use the sales excuse anymore, because Kelly Thompson's run has been the best Carol has sold in the direct market in the last 8 years. She is pretty much their biggest solo female character right now, specially since we don't have Jane!Thor anymore.

Didn't Marvel require stores to meet certain order thresholds in order to get certain variant covers? A couple years back, Marvel forced stores to over-order books in order to get certain variant covers. Would be surprised if the same or similar tactics are not still being used. That's kind of forcing stores to order books they don't need.
    Never understood why people still buy more then one copy of a single floppy with a new cover. Yeah in the 90s they did it thinking "i'm going to be rich! I can retire in 10 years with all 20 copies i bought of the 90s x-men 1! "

Then it sunk the american comic market.

Today with floppies $4 i don't get it? Why buy 20 copies of one $4 comic with just a pretty new picture on the cover but the story is the same in every copy? Unless you are going to cgc it and sell it i don't see the point. I could spend that money on a new comic. I also miss when comics had just one cover. They gave us covers that were like trailers. Today it can be just a dull pin up of spider-man for the 3000th time. They have started to do more non pin up covers but we still get them.

Not going to lie. In the 90s i fell for it and got the hologram and 5 covers for a comic. Today i just shake my head at it. Not doing that again. Sorry marvel. It's not the 90s anymore.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    Comic shops don't have direct competition when it comes to buying floppies. Sure, someone could just get a digital comic, but comic shops are the easiest way to get floppies. It's much easier to order a trade on the internet. Nothing is stopping shops from ordering trades, but that doesn't mean they'll sell considering there's a better alternative in buying them online.

Honestly don't know where you're going with this point.

Nonetheless, the number of comic book shops is shrinking. Are SJW books to blame? I don't think so, but the decreasing number of comic shops is undeniable.

I don't think floppies sell cheaper elsewhere, but I could be mistaken.

I honestly think the comic shops are in an irreversible decline as the comic industry becomes more digital. The efforts to prioritize the direct market are an attempt to prop up a market that relies on a physical product in an increasingly digital age.
    Don't most variant covers work this way? Shops need to order a certain amount of a specific issue to get access to a variant and sometimes it is tied to orders of a previous issue.

Marvel does the "focusing on core titles/less minis" every few years and they always come back to trying to new characters and putting out 5 minis a month so I wouldn't worry.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Never understood why people still buy more then one copy of a single floppy with a new cover. Yeah in the 90s they did it thinking "i'm going to be rich! I can retire in 10 years with all 20 copies i bought of the 90s x-men 1! "

Then it sunk the american comic market.

Today with floppies $4 i don't get it? Why buy 20 copies of one $4 comic with just a pretty new picture on the cover but the story is the same in every copy? Unless you are going to cgc it and sell it i don't see the point. I could spend that money on a new comic. I also miss when comics had just one cover. They gave us covers that were like trailers. Today it can be just a dull pin up of spider-man for the 3000th time. They have started to do more non pin up covers but we still get them.

Not going to lie. In the 90s i fell for it and got the hologram and 5 covers for a comic. Today i just shake my head at it. Not doing that again. Sorry marvel. It's not the 90s anymore.
    To be fair-I do get some for display or to supprt that certain artist.

Also in many cases I don't pay cover price for those-I get most of mine from the bins or sales. Unless that is the only issue I am buying.

Don't most variant covers work this way? Shops need to order a certain amount of a specific issue to get access to a variant and sometimes it is tied to orders of a previous issue.
    Yes. You have stores that will do that to get that ONE variant to TRY to sell at a high price. That tends to be the book I eventually see in a bin.

True story- I was a t comic con where a buy had $2.00 variants of books. I spent $20 for 12 books. I looked up the value of those issue or what they were selling for on Midtown. It was about $500.

One was $75 by itself.

Went to Half Price books bought a Power Rangers #1 variant for $2. It retails for $100 on Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    This is a RUMOR from BleedingCool. Nothing is confirmed so far.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...s-on-the-core/

Summary:

- Less limited series, one-shots and books featuring lesser known characters
    - Legacy characters may still thrive, but we shouldn't expect the original characters to be replaced anymore
    - More focus on core titles and a bigger expectation about titles performing well in the direct market
    - Marvel was concerned about Empyre pre-pandemic, but they have high expectations for it now, specially its critical acclaim and the changes it'll bring to the MU
    - Some Empyre tie-ins have been cancelled indeed
    - Summer 2021 event will be all about Knull and Venom
    so much of comics works is produced a people's home studios. there's seemingly little excuse to cut titles drastically. The "bullpen" of legend was pretty much just that.