Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Alan Scott in the Green Lantern 80th Anniversary *spoilers*

Well, they finally pulled the trigger on Alan Scott's sexuality. I know a lot of hard liners are going to be upset, but I think this is a great new wrinkle for future creators to explore.

Although it obviously wasn't the intention of those early Alan Scott stories, it's shocking how well they work within the context of a closeted gay man living through the mid-20th Century. It will be interesting to see how they handle his failed relationship with Rose and his later marriage to Molly. It also gives his strained relationship with his son Obsidian even more depth.

This is really giving the upcoming JSA series a lot of stuff to chew on. Looking forward to it.

I mean hey a characters sexuality has never bothered me when it comes to comics/stories, if he’s gay then I guess he’s gay now if not then we move on. It really all depends on if the next writer wants to pick up on it or not, either way I’ll take having one of my favorite green lanterns back no matter what.

I will say that I have also really appreciated these past stories involving the JSA.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I thought it was a fantastic 10-page story.

I know people were theorizing it would happen when they brought the JSA back to the main comics.

Always Rakzo

I'm cool with Alan still being into men although this makes me wonder how Jade and Obsidian are going to exist now.

The story itself is still rather simplistic as expected from Tynion and I feel like the one handling it should have been James Robinson considering he does have a history with Alan and understands his character. Seriously, why the hell is Tynion here? I had enough of him in Batman already. Great Frank art though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I'm cool with Alan still being into men although this makes me wonder how Jade and Obsidian are going to exist now.

The story itself is still rather simplistic as expected from Tynion and I feel like the one handling it should have been James Robinson considering he does have a history with Alan and understands his character. Seriously, why the hell is Tynion here? I had enough of him in Batman already. Great Frank art though.
    I mean it’s possible he’s bi, or if there’s a word where you don’t view sexuality but just the person (I don’t know what that’s called). Like he could have loved Jimmy and also some time later fall for Rose/Thorn. I’m sure it happens.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean it’s possible he’s bi, or if there’s a word where you don’t view sexuality but just the person (I don’t know what that’s called). Like he could have loved Jimmy and also some time later fall for Rose/Thorn. I’m sure it happens.
    I would be pretty cool if Alan is Bi (and it wouldn't surprise me considering this is Tynion writing him).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think the word your thinking of is Demi-Sexual

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I think the word your thinking of is Demi-Sexual
    Looked it up after you posted and you are correct, thanks for the assist.
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few children out there fathered by gay men already. I know a few of them

It's not like the birth of Jade & Obsidian originally came from a healthy relationship or anything. This just makes the whole Rose/Alan thing even sadder.

I feel like he's the "safe" Lantern to make gay (or bi). If it was Hal or John I would be a bit more impressed. But an old guy who can easily be slotted in harmless mentor to new heroes role instead of saving the world in big crossover events, yeah, the safest GL of note you can change.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

The current DC writers and editorial have no respect for continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I feel like he's the "safe" Lantern to make gay (or bi). If it was Hal or John I would be a bit more impressed. But an old guy who can easily be slotted in harmless mentor to new heroes role instead of saving the world in big crossover events, yeah, the safest GL of note you can change.
    I'm pretty sure they could reveal Hal is omni-sexual and only a small segment of fandom would be upset by it. I mean, guys like Hal, Captain Kirk, and Lando Calrissian strike me as guys who would literally nail anything, irregardless of gender, species, or dimensional vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    The current DC writers and editorial have no respect for continuity.
    Considering that DC's continuity has been in flux since 1945 when they retroactively introduced Superboy, isn't constantly evolving and adapting older stories and character for modern audiences more respectful than treating it as something preserved in amber, never to altered?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm pretty sure they could reveal Hal is omni-sexual and only a small segment of fandom would be upset by it. I mean, guys like Hal, Captain Kirk, and Lando Calrissian strike me as guys who would literally nail anything, irregardless of gender, species, or dimensional vibration.
    Well true, we all know Lando did bang that robot...