Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Long before he got married, Alan certainly didn't mind the charms of his co-worker, Irene Miller... not that much of this is in print, which makes retcons to his history easier than it would be with the more well-known Silver Age characters, since most people will never have read any of this. There are the two Archives and some other random reprints, but that's about it.
    Alan and Irene.jpg
    Green Lantern 4 - GL gets the girl.jpg
    Last edited by andersonh1; 07-10-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Astonishing Member

I should have stopped readng comics years ago. Actually, I pretty much have. Why change a character with around 80 years of history as a straight man? The new 52 version was exactly that -- a new versoin, so anything goes. But this is just ridiculous. DC loves to sh1t all over their history.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I think you’re right. Given all the reboots, etc in recent years it would be perfectly possible for one of the A list characters to be written as gay. And it would mean a lot more, and be a far braver move from DC.

One way..would be to just have a character fall in love with some one of same sex...for first time in their lives. It does happen.

Let’s see if DC do anything brave with it...say like having some other heroes/ Alan’s friends reacting to it badly. You know...the sort of things that (sadly) happen all the time in the real world.

I do not think DC will do anything “brave” with it, it’s all just cosmetic.

Obviously hope I am completely wrong in this.
    I would love to see this story be told! especially with one of the bigger characters. unfortunately I don't think DC wouldn't do that and if they did I'm guessing it would be with a character (probably of color or female) who just so happens doesn't pop up regularly or usually lead a book. would love to see it regardless, could be a fascinating story if done right.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    Long before he got married, Alan certainly didn't mind the charms of his co-worker, Irene Miller... not that much of this is in print, which makes retcons to his history easier than it would be with the more well-known Silver Age characters, since most people will never have read any of this. There are the two Archives and some other random reprints, but that's about it.
    Alan and Irene.jpg
    Green Lantern 4 - GL gets the girl.jpg
    No one is saying that Alan Scott wasn't written as a straight man prior to this. The point is that retconning a new element on to the character could lead to more interesting stories in the present that could build on the past.

I mean, Alfred being part of Batman's life since childhood is a retcon, too. However, it's one that strengthened the character and enriched the Batman mythos. I think this could potentially do the same thing with the JSA

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    No one is saying that Alan Scott wasn't written as a straight man prior to this. The point is that retconning a new element on to the character could lead to more interesting stories in the present that could build on the past.

I mean, Alfred being part of Batman's life since childhood is a retcon, too. However, it's one that strengthened the character and enriched the Batman mythos. I think this could potentially do the same thing with the JSA
    I think the attempt might be more credible if they could find someone with less of a past history with women to write around. A twice-married man with biological children who had other female love interests before he settled down could have been closeted the whole time, but it seems convoluted to me.

Yeah, I know, it's DC continuity. It's already convoluted!

I think the attempt might be more credible if they could find someone with less of a past history with women to write around. A twice-married man with biological children who had other female love interests before he settled down could have been closeted the whole time, but it seems convoluted to me.

Actress Meredith Baxter had three ex husbands and five kids before she came out late in life.
    Gay people having multiple opposite sex relationships and kids because of social pressures -especially in the past - isn't all that convoluted and actually happens in real life.
    That is the experience of many older gay people particularly.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Bingo.

The important thing is whether or not this leads to good new stories. The old comics aren't going anywhere, and he's no doubt still straight on the Pre-Crisis Earth-2, which still exists somewhere in the Metaverse.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Real life is pretty convoluted, my dude. This happens all the time with gay people who come out later in life. The stigma against them has been so strong that living a lie was preferable to being themselves. Let that sink in.

We're not talking fiction. This happens all the time.

There is nothing convoluted about this. A lot of gay men had relationships with women and had kids due to society’s pressure on them. This whole situation is very reflective of the real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    There is nothing convoluted about this. A lot of gay men had relationships with women and had kids due to society’s pressure on them. This whole situation is very reflective of the real life.
    The pressures also would have been greater back in the nineteen-forties. Bored has an excellent point in stating that the quest for good stories is key. The JSA is a novel concept in that they have a past time to deal with and their lives and adventures are colored by those times. I don't know a lot of gay men well, but those I do know have had a variety of discovery situations. That tells me that stories vary incredibly and anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I should have stopped readng comics years ago. Actually, I pretty much have. Why change a character with around 80 years of history as a straight man? The new 52 version was exactly that -- a new versoin, so anything goes. But this is just ridiculous. DC loves to sh1t all over their history.
    I said this a few pages back, but this *isnt* classic Allan. Classic, OG Allan has not been seen since 1986.

And this isn't post-Crisis Allan either. We're not in post-Crisis continuity, even if a lot of things look similar.

So if it's okay for New52 Allan because he was a new version, it should be okay for this version, who might look familiar but is not, in fact, the same guy we were reading about in the 90's.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The pressures also would have been greater back in the nineteen-forties. Bored has an excellent point in stating that the quest for good stories is key. The JSA is a novel concept in that they have a past time to deal with and their lives and adventures are colored by those times. I don't know a lot of gay men well, but those I do know have had a variety of discovery situations. That tells me that stories vary incredibly and anything is possible.
    True! Also back then openly writing about gay people was illegal, that's another reason why JSA has no queer represent representation. Having a closeted LGBTQ+ character in the group would also reflect that struggle as well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I said this a few pages back, but this *isnt* classic Allan. Classic, OG Allan has not been seen since 1986.

And this isn't post-Crisis Allan either. We're not in post-Crisis continuity, even if a lot of things look similar.

So if it's okay for New52 Allan because he was a new version, it should be okay for this version, who might look familiar but is not, in fact, the same guy we were reading about in the 90's.
    Yeah. If you want to get technical. Post Crisis-Alan died right before Flashpoint.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

That is true. We don't even know if Jade and Obsidian are part of this new continuity. All said -- it's just another reason for me to avoid DC Comics. The history is just too fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    That is true. We don't even know if Jade and Obsidian are part of this new continuity. All said -- it's just another reason for me to avoid DC Comics. The history is just too fluid.
    Jade and Obsidian appeared oin DClock 12. Their situation in whatever DC continuity will be like after the dust settles is more than idle speculation.