Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Considering that DC's continuity has been in flux since 1945 when they retroactively introduced Superboy, isn't constantly evolving and adapting older stories and character for modern audiences more respectful than treating it as something preserved in amber, never to altered?
    I don't know, taking things out of amber is how we get Jurassic Park...

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Well true, we all know Lando did bang that robot...
    Exactly, and how many people got upset about it? The world has changed for the better in a lot of ways, even if it feels like we're stuck in a dumpster most of the time.

Exploring Alan's struggles in the 1940s, when thing were far different for gay men, is what makes this an interesting choice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I'm cool with Alan still being into men although this makes me wonder how Jade and Obsidian are going to exist now.

The story itself is still rather simplistic as expected from Tynion and I feel like the one handling it should have been James Robinson considering he does have a history with Alan and understands his character. Seriously, why the hell is Tynion here? I had enough of him in Batman already. Great Frank art though.
    Um, lots of Gay men married women and had kids due to society. My father is one. He was gay, married my mother, had 2 kids and then said F it, he's tired of living in the closet, got divorced, got custody of the kids and move to South Carolina with his partner and his partners kids, who had the same story. So, it's very plausible that a gay man/woman can have biological kids via sex with someone of the other sex...

I don't know, taking things out of amber is how we get Jurassic Park...
    Like I said, that cat has been out of the bag since '45, then again in '49, and '56 and '62, and so on. There's only a handful of years in DC's entire history when the stories haven't been built upon stories that had rewritten, contradicted, or recontexualized older stories. DC's continuity never has and never will be like Marvel's.

Exactly, and how many people got upset about it? The world has changed for the better in a lot of ways, even if it feels like we're stuck in a dumpster most of the time.

Exploring Alan's struggles in the 1940s, when thing were far different for gay men, is what makes this an interesting choice for me.
    Eh, I'm not a JSA guy, but is DC really good at cranking out introspective period pieces like that? I feel like it's more just something they say but don't show much in modern times cause ew old people sex. That's why he's the safe choice.

Like I said, that cat has been out of the bag since '45, then again in '49, and '56 and '62, and so on. There's only a handful of years in DC's entire history when the stories haven't been built upon stories that had rewritten, contradicted, or recontexualized older stories. DC's continuity never has and never will be like Marvel's.
    That wasn't a real argument, that was a cheap joke.

Reminds me of Larry in the Doom Patrol show.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Considering that DC's continuity has been in flux since 1945 when they retroactively introduced Superboy, isn't constantly evolving and adapting older stories and character for modern audiences more respectful than treating it as something preserved in amber, never to altered?
    Obviously the continuity of DC Comics has been perfect. However, it seems Post Flashpoint any attempt to enforce some sort of coherent universe has been thrown out the window.

Post Crisis on Infinite Earths, an attempt was made to not contradict stories from Earth One cotinuity, with some clearly defined exceptions such as the Wonder Woman mythos and the integration of characters from Earth C, Earth F, Earth X, and Earth 2.

Also, if you want to appeal to modern audiences, don't tinker with what doesn't need to be fixed, create new legacy characters who are a more effective way of embodying contemporary values.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 06-23-2020 at 06:53 PM.

I liked it. I think it adds an interesting wrinkle when done to the 30s/40s more pulp type character rather than the reinvention of the character from the New 52 era.

Eh, I'm not a JSA guy, but is DC really good at cranking out introspective period pieces like that? I feel like it's more just something they say but don't show much in modern times cause ew old people sex. That's why he's the safe choice.
    The upcoming JSA book is supposed to be set in the 1940s, not the modern day.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Obviously the continuity of DC Comics has been perfect. However, it seems Post Flashpoint any attempt to enforce some sort of coherent universe has been thrown out the window.

Post Crisis on Infinite Earths, an attempt was made to not contradict stories from Earth One cotinuity, with some clearly defined exceptions such as the Wonder Woman mythos and the integration of characters from Earth C, Earth F, Earth X, and Earth 2.

Also, if you want to appeal to modern audiences, don't tinker with what doesn't need to be fixed, create new legacy characters who are a more effective way of embodying contemporary values.
    But if the idea is to explore Alan's life as a closeted gay man in the 1940s, you can't do that with a new legacy character.

You could retroactively create a new 1940s gay character to be a member of the JSA, but wouldn't that feel like a bigger cheat than exploring that one of their previously established members was in the closet?

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Reminds me of Larry in the Doom Patrol show.
    Which I thought was one of the more interesting aspects of that show.

The upcoming JSA book is supposed to be set in the 1940s, not the modern day.
    Maybe then. But even so there's no guarantee that it will be brought up much less brought up well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I liked it. I think it adds an interesting wrinkle when done to the 30s/40s more pulp type character rather than the reinvention of the character from the New 52 era.
    Agreed. There's already gay characters in the modern day that you can tell stories with, so New 52 Alan didn't really interest me, whereas this does. It's the dichotomy of the classic '40s superhero being a closeted gay man that makes this something new we haven't really seen before.

But if the idea is to explore Alan's life as a closeted gay man in the 1940s, you can't do that with a new legacy character.

You could retroactively create a new 1940s gay character to be a member of the JSA, but wouldn't that feel like a bigger cheat than exploring that one of their previously established members was in the closet?
    Or you could do a new character and a new team in that era. Like Watchmen.