Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Sure, the more JSA the better, as long as the creative team is right. Don't forget, the post-Johns JSA era was pretty terrrible.
    Yeah, while I don't care for splitting the team and what followed, at the very least it was nice to see DC really getting behind the JSA again. Justice Society of America, JSA All-Stars, Power Girl and *shudder* Magog. Never thought we'd have so many JSA books running concurrently. JSA vs. Kobra was around then as well if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm still not sure how I feel about that...
    In a meta sense, I don't like it as much because it's effectively trying to make Diana take Superman's historical role, but narrative? Makes sense given her longevity, though I admit it basically robs the JSA of their importance as the old guard as well as Alan as their elder statesman. It shifts some of that over to Diana, which makes her more special at the cost of the JSA. We'll see if it sticks.

Personally? I probably wouldn't have made the change. It's like making Clark as fast as the Flashes. He can't be or else they're not all that special. Likewise, the JSA need to predate pretty much the entire Justice League, at least in man's world/public knowledge.

If this revelation was written by a great writer with the ability to tell deep complex stories and make his characters multi layered then it could work in the jsa book but if DC has tynion writing the JSA book its gonna be a paper thin characterization where alan's entire story arc is based on this revelation. Its fine that DC wants to do this, reinvention is needed in comics and someone like alan isn't the most well defined character as is. overall it might add something to the character, but to get a story like this to land and to redefine a character you need a great writer. Someone like tom taylor would knock this story out of the park but with who DC normally gets for stories like this to quote almost every star wars character ever " I have a bad feeling about this".
    Last edited by regg215; 06-23-2020 at 10:44 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

I can't help but think the sexuality aspect is why Tynion ended up writing it, at least in part.

I don't know if that's still happening with 5G being kaput. Especially with how popular some of the JSA legacies are.

(And I say this as someone who would read a classic JSA book).

I mean, I wouldn't feel any more cheated then if they retroactively added more women to the roster, but that's just me.
    Yeah, while I do expect JSA to finally get a book again by next year, I'm certain it'll be set in the present day. Teen Titans may have just set something up for it in Jakeem Thunder's guest appearance. When he left, he not only had his Thunderbolt back after he was captured by evil genie Elias, he also had Djinn with him, her having quit the Titans.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I absolutely love it. Pretty sure the kids will stay as well -he was a gay man in 40s, he had to stay in the closet-, which opens up many many storytelling opportunities. His relationship with his son is something I'm specifically looking forward to now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I'm cool with Alan still being into men although this makes me wonder how Jade and Obsidian are going to exist now.
    He was a closeted gay man and he was married. Of course he could have children. It still happens all the time.

As for the change, hip hip hooray! I've been hoping this would happen when the real JSA came back. Not necessarily w/GL but just with any of them. And dealing with the closeting issue.

I love it.

I can't help but think the sexuality aspect is why Tynion ended up writing it, at least in part.

I don't know if that's still happening with 5G being kaput. Especially with how popular some of the JSA legacies are.

(And I say this as someone who would read a classic JSA book).

I mean, I wouldn't feel any more cheated then if they retroactively added more women to the roster, but that's just me.
    I mean I think it’d be pretty good if they added back in Black Canary’s mother/Dinah Drake and with the current Hawkman ongoing, Hawkwoman.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Very surprised DC let Tynion do it considering Jade and Obsidian exist again (unless they just ignore Doomsday Clock going forward lol), especially since E2 Alan was only gay cause Obsidian was gone.

This would make Alan one of the oldest gay/bi heroes in comics, appearance wise (1940) and in story, yes? Even if it is a retcon.

Alan can be gay and have kids. They are not mutually exclusive guys.

DC found a way to sell me this book. Guess I'm picking it up today. And I will comment after reading the story. I know it's the internet and that doesn't always happen that way, but hey, I've gotta be me.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Alan can be gay and have kids. They are not mutually exclusive guys.
    Yeah, I don't know why this idea is so hard for people to wrap their minds around. Gay guys have been fathering kids for literally thousands of years now.

Do people think gay guys are unable to impregnate women or something?

Yeah, I don't know why this idea is so hard for people to wrap their minds around. Gay guys have been fathering kids for literally thousands of years now.

Do people think gay guys are unable to impregnate women or something?
    At least for my part, it's the concern that DC will streamline his narrative, have him come out early in the 40s and bypass Jade/Todd.

Having Alan come out when he accepts his son is gay would be far more powerful, the reveal being the tension stemmed from Alan being unable to be as brave as his son in confronting his sexuality coupled with his usual stoicism.

Those stories dovetail so well I'm convinced DC hates it.

Fantastic Member

I'm sure the JSA series will be introducing new characters and teams, much like Roy Thomas's All Star Squadron did, but I think it's important that the JSA proper have prominent members who can explore this stuff.
    Has it been officially confirmed that there is an upcoming monthly JSA book to be set strictly in the 1940s? I knew there were rumblings of a mini for the longest time.

BANNED

I'm fine with it. Anyway theres several other Earths and stories with straight Alan.

I'm pretty sure they could reveal Hal is omni-sexual and only a small segment of fandom would be upset by it. I mean, guys like Hal, Captain Kirk, and Lando Calrissian strike me as guys who would literally nail anything, irregardless of gender, species, or dimensional vibration.
    And don't forget Doctor Who's Captain Jack, who was worse than all those other guys combined. I think he literally hit on a toaster at one point?

I don't know how I'd feel about Hal, Kyle, or John changing sexuality. All of them have a pretty deep relationship history that has played large roles in their stories, and I usually am not in favor of making big changes like this to a character when there's so much precedent that establishes them in a certain way.

But Allan's wife have been a complete and utter non-presence who matters only because of Jade and Todd. She is not important. Considering how rarely Allan mentions her, and how rarely she shows up on the page, it's clear she's not important to Allan either. I know that there are stories, decades old now, which show Allan in a loving relationship with women. But those stories are well in the rear view mirror and we haven't seen that kind of affection in a long, long time.

So Allan being a closeted gay man in the 40's? F*ck yeah. Sign me up for that. It is a retcon that is easily slipped into Allan's history and character; it's not taking anything away from him, it's adding to him. And the idea that we could get stories where Allan, after decades of being in the closet, finally finds the courage to do what his son did, and then goes out on the town? I mean, come on, who doesn't want to read about Old Man Scott trying to not only get back into the dating scene, but do it for the first time as an openly gay man?

I support Allan being gay a billion percent. If his wife mattered to the narrative, I'd feel differently.....but she doesn't, and I'm down with gay Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Having Alan come out when he accepts his son is gay would be far more powerful, the reveal being the tension stemmed from Alan being unable to be as brave as his son in confronting his sexuality coupled with his usual stoicism.

Those stories dovetail so well I'm convinced DC hates it.
    I'm with you. It could be a fantastic tale that really gives Allan a narrative worth reading about, so of course DC will likely hate it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.