Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Honestly it is not even that, but I didn't really like that in a book that celebrates GLs Batmas was present at all. Ollie I'm ok with since there are lots of important history there. I could also see Flash here, or Justice League as a team. But Batman is like, if you asked any GL fan what they like about the franchise I'm pretty certain that nobody would even think about mentioning Batman.
    And this is on-top of Batman related characters already having three anniversary issues...

Also, regarding Hal's three messages, the one to the corps was basically just a distress call, the one to Carol was sweet but doesn't offer any new insight into his feelings for her or their relationship.

The one amusing thing to me is the idea that Batman got that message and then told the rest of the League about it, "Hey, you'll never guess what Hal said to me...." I mean, it's possible the message appeared to him while he was with the JLA, but I'm going to go with the idea that Bruce is a gossipy little bitch.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Does G'Nort have his own story or at the very least a cameo? Does anyone remember G'Nort?

Extraordinary Member

I assume Tynion got the Alan Scott story because DC wanted the main Alan to be gay too, and put Tynion on it because he's a gay writer.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Tynion will be involved in whatever book the JSA is in.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    It also wouldn't surprise me if Tynion will be involved in whatever book the JSA is in.
    Ugh, please no. I got tired waiting Justice League Dark to get good.

I assume Tynion got the Alan Scott story because DC wanted the main Alan to be gay too, and put Tynion on it because he's a gay writer.

I like Justice League Dark but I don't have a lot of confidence in Tynion writing a JSA book.

But I do agree with why he ended up being the writer for this even though he has absolutely no connection to the GL franchise otherwise.

I'm so used to not really enjoying collections of short stories like this but GL's 80th anniversary special took me by surprise. I really liked it, pretty much start to finish.

Am I the only one who thought Venditti's story was mostly about him trying to reinforce his "stamp" on the franchise by emphasizing the things he brought to the table? Maybe it's just that I was never a fan of the whole "Four Corpsmen" thing to begin with - aside from being too human centric, there are other earth GLs too who get left out.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Am I the only one who thought Venditti's story was mostly about him trying to reinforce his "stamp" on the franchise by emphasizing the things he brought to the table? Maybe it's just that I was never a fan of the whole "Four Corpsmen" thing to begin with - aside from being too human centric, there are other earth GLs too who get left out.
    Personally I really enjoyed Vendetti's story (but then I was a fan of his run too) but I'm curious what would you have put in its stead?

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    Personally I really enjoyed Vendetti's story (but then I was a fan of his run too) but I'm curious what would you have put in its stead?
    I also enjoyed Venditti's run. And I don't have an issue with the story itself, it's just that for a short story, it seemed he wanted to call attention to the stuff that he came up with more than anything else, like the Four Corpsmen, Hal forging his own ring and reinforcing yet again (which I thought became repetitive in his run) his take on each of those four earthmen. He didn't use any other GLs like Jessica or Simon, just the ones that were in his run. There's nothing inherently terrible about that, I get it, but it still came off as being more about him making a callback to his work rather than tell an interesting story about any of the characters. And again, this is just personal, but the "Four Corpsmen" thing just grates me like nails on a chalkboard (the GL oath should be enough )

I mean, I wasn't a huge fan of how O'Neil jammed in a "book of the month club" recommendation in the middle of what could have been a more interesting story either. (it reminded me of all those product placements in tv shows) It just seemed this book was used by some for more self-centered reasons than for actually honoring the GL mythos.

Oh, and since you asked, I would have preferred to have actually seen the battle with Evil Star or Sinestro that he mentioned. (which makes me wonder if those were stories that Venditti meant to do but just never got to)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-05-2020 at 07:30 AM.

It's not something I really have a problem with since, other then Kilowog, the four Earth Lanterns are probably the closest to each other then they are with anyone else, even Jessica and Simon. This dates back to the Johns run.
    Oh, and since you asked, I would have preferred to have actually seen the battle with Evil Star or Sinestro that he mentioned. (which makes me wonder if those were stories that Venditti meant to do but just never got to)
    I think he was. Evil Star was teased at the end of an issue foreshadowing stuff but I think it got dropped to an off-panel fight and there might've been a Sinestro plan to resolve what happened to Soranik.

Tynion isn't gay. He's bi.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Tynion isn't gay. He's bi.
    Either way, he's a member of the LGBTQ+ community. Which is where the notion comes from that he supposedly understands the character better as opposed to writers who have written him as a straight man before.

I liked the Alan Scott story. I thought it was well done.