Default Differing Schools of Jedi

How would you guys feel about the concept moving forward that the Jedi have different schools, i.e. philosophies that differ in some ways, leading to different sects? Like maybe you have one more focused on what would be called the Skywalker teachings, which is a modernized Order doing away with what Luke (and by extension, probably Rey) felt were outdated concepts that stunted a Jedi's growth and even allowed for Sidious to infiltrate the infrastructure of the Old Repulbic/Old Jedi Order. Then maybe you have a branch that instead embraces the old ways and disregards the Skywalker school's approach on emotions and personal relationships and the like. Basically if anyone's familiar with Witcher lore, something like that, where there was initially one generally order that eventually split into different schools of detail and philosophy. But they still follow the path of the Light, not the Dark Side. Just a thought for something they could do moving way forward in the future with the lore.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I think the Jedi Order would probably have benefited from being more open to different takes on how to be a Jedi or how to view The Force instead of being as dogmatic as the Prequel Jedi could be.

Granted since all of those Jedi are pretty much gone I'm not sure if we'd see an attempt to return to the old ways but I guess someone could read up on the ancient Jedi teachings and think "maybe they had a point."

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Personally, I'd love to see it. Jump forward to the distant future where the Jedi have been repopulated and there are various competing schools of thought. And on top of that, Force users who don't subscribe to any kind of organized religion.

iMan 42s

Over in the Legacy series you had a few different groups such as two resurgent Sith (Krayt's clashed a bit with the old ideas), a new Jedi order, and the Imperial Knights. It's not unprecedented.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Interesting, I never read Legacy so wasn't aware of any of that, thanks for the info.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Interesting, I never read Legacy so wasn't aware of any of that, thanks for the info.
    Definitely worth tracking down, next to Knights of the Old Republic it was one of the best Star Wars comics from the Dark Horse years.

The old EU had many other force-using, or force-worshipping groups that weren't quite Jedi.

We've kind of seen this a bit with Disney too. Guardians of the Whills in Rogue One for example. The Jakku village at the start of TFA was also part of a group who was sort of a "Church of the force".
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Over in the Legacy series you had a few different groups such as two resurgent Sith (Krayt's clashed a bit with the old ideas), a new Jedi order, and the Imperial Knights. It's not unprecedented.
    You know what, to run with your idea it would seem to work so well with Finn. I could see him along with what was hinted at as ex-stormtroopers being force sensitive. I imagine that he and the rest of them could start an order that's more warriors than space monks.

The idea could be insteresting.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    You know what, to run with your idea it would seem to work so well with Finn. I could see him along with what was hinted at as ex-stormtroopers being force sensitive. I imagine that he and the rest of them could start an order that's more warriors than space monks.
    Funny thing is, according to suplimentary material, the "Train from childhood" First Order Stormtrooper program was pretty much inspired by the Jedi Orders-although with probably far less consent. (Some of TROS's stuff also says they deliberated targeted many former rebel's families-Lando's daughter-implied to be Jannah-being an example...and eventually Ben although not as a trooper)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth