Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Thoughts on Dan Vado's Justice League

I'm currently reading the awkward period of Justice League post Giffen/DeMatteis and pre Morrison. Right now I'm on the verge of finishing Dan Vado's 14 issue stint on Justice League America. It's notable for introducing Booster Gold's (awfully dated) armor phase, the third incarnation of Amazing Man, and Ice's family.

Dan Vado is one of those writers who's life is more interesting than the story he tells: He is the founder and publisher of Slave Labor Graphics, and judging by interviews, genuinely had a passion for the Justice League.

I actually think the idea behind Booster's '90s armor is really interesting. A character from the future who doesn't understand his technology and has it broken can't replace it, so it's replaced with analogous- and more analog- present technology is an interesting story beat that could've made for interesting stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I actually think the idea behind Booster's '90s armor is really interesting. A character from the future who doesn't understand his technology and has it broken can't replace it, so it's replaced with analogous- and more analog- present technology is an interesting story beat that could've made for interesting stories.
    I thought Booster's armour would've actually been an okay costume if not for the mask.

Extraordinary Member

Was he the writer that killed Ice?

If so, I hated that storyline.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Vado's run is usually even more reviled than Jurgens was. As stated elsewhere, I really liked it for the most part. Everything with Ice and her family, power upgrade, etc was great; I also thought he captured her relationship with Fire quite well.

I liked that he brought Captain Atom back into the fold, even if he was a bit out of character, what with the forced tension between him and Wonder Woman.

I loved Marc Campos (very 90's) art as well, although he didn't do many issues before being moved to Extreme Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Was he the writer that killed Ice?

If so, I hated that storyline.
    That was actually Mark Waid in Justice League Task Force. He later stated he regretted it (or maybe just was unprepared for the backlash?). But Vado did write the JLA chapters of "Judgement Day".
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I thought Booster's armour would've actually been an okay costume if not for the mask.
    Oh yeah, the product we got wasn't the best. They should have leaned more into Booster's football backstory for design inspiration, but that's all in hindsight.

I didn't like Booster's bulky armor.
    I wasn't fond of Maxima's purple outfit, either. I thought her shiny green/yellow outfit that looked like something from Marvel was close to being iconic for her.

The books were okay, otherwise.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Someone just told me about this thread, and I am honestly surprised anyone still talks about those comics. However, you hit the nail on the head with what you sad about the armor. Booster came from the future and suddenly his armor, which he did not build, is destroyed. It was all supposed to be a metaphor for rebuilding I suppose since everyone was supposed to be in tatters after the death of Superman.
    I am not going to pretend that had I had my own way my run on JLA would have been the next Watchmen, but I was unprepared for the writing-by-committee that they had going on at the time and would often see things changed from my original story without my input.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danslave View Post
    Someone just told me about this thread, and I am honestly surprised anyone still talks about those comics.
    Not just talks about, I still re-read this era every couple of years! I started JL comics with Jurgens & Jones, but your issues solidified my love for many of these characters.

Quote Originally Posted by danslave View Post
    I am not going to pretend that had I had my own way my run on JLA would have been the next Watchmen, but I was unprepared for the writing-by-committee that they had going on at the time and would often see things changed from my original story without my input.
    I can't speak for everyone, but this fan really enjoyed the work put out by that committee! I'd love to hear any behind-the-scenes stories you're willing to share! Not gossip, more along the lines of dropped plots, what was your idea/what wasn't, any unpublished stories, etc.

Thanks for popping into the thread!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Not just talks about, I still re-read this era every couple of years! I started JL comics with Jurgens & Jones, but your issues solidified my love for many of these characters.

I can't speak for everyone, but this fan really enjoyed the work put out by that committee! I'd love to hear any behind-the-scenes stories you're willing to share! Not gossip, more along the lines of dropped plots, what was your idea/what wasn't, any unpublished stories, etc.

Thanks for popping into the thread!
    Ditto. I loved what you did with Ice's backstory. What led you discontinue the Alternative Press Expo?
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 11-28-2020 at 08:35 PM.