View Poll Results: How would you like Keaton to return as Batman?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thomas Wayne/Flashpoint Batman

3 10.00%
  • Bruce Wayne/Batman from the Burton films

20 66.67%
  • New version of Bruce Wayne/Batman

7 23.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default How would you like Michael Keaton to return as Batman?

In light of the recent rumors (which do genuienly seem like more than rumors) that Keaton may be returning to the cape and cowl, not just in the upcoming Flashpoint movie, but also potentially for multiple appearances in future DC films.

How would you like them to approach Michael Keaton's return as Batman?

Thomas Wayne/Flashpoint Batman: Considering the movie he's appearing in, this may seem the obvious choice. There's a long proud tradition in DC media of superhero actors returning to play the hero's father in a reboot (Adam West as Thomas Wayne in the Brave and the Bold cartoon, John Wesley Shipp as Henry Allen on The Flash) and this would be the biggest example of that. It allows Keaton's Batman to continue to be a distinct character and potentially co-exist alongside Pattison's Batman in future films.

Bruce Wayne/Batman from the Burton films: Basically, a continuation of the version Keaton played in the Burton films, potentially ignoring the Schumacher films with other actors. I guess in a way this would be the most fan-pleasing option (akin to Brandon Routh's recent return as an older version of his Superman). And there are certainly ways to make it happen, with the Multiverse and alternate timelines. But keeping this Batman around beyond the Flashpoint film raises challenges. There's already the conflict between the Affleck and Pattison versions to address - throwing Keaton's version in only adds to the continuity nightmare. Though I dare say there can be ways around it.

A new version of Bruce Wayne/Batman: Not an explicit continuation of the Burton films, but a new version altogether. Maybe the Batman Beyond Bruce (a fan favorite option). Or a DKR Bruce. Maybe just a future time-traveling version of Pattison's Bruce Wayne. Again, this raises questions of how to keep the character around, though it'll be a lot easier to present this Bruce as a possible future/alternate version of Pattison's Batman, than to inject a version from a different franchise altogether into the DCEU.

BANNED

No thanks. The man looks like a dweeb.

I voted new version of Bruce/Bats.

Specifically Old Man Bruce in a Batman Beyond movie.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Keaton should definitely return from his Universe. He's still my favorite Batman of all time.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

The possibilities are infinite: he can be the Flashpoint's Thomas Wayne, he can be an old Bruce Wayne who gave his cowl to Dick Grayson (in this case Tim Drake and Damian could be the new Nightwing and the new Robin respectively), he can even be the uncle Philip who raised Bruce after his parents' death (in this case the movie should be focused on the metamorphosis of Bruce Wayne from orphan to Batman).

Michael Keaton says it best himself... "I'm Batman."

Astonishing Member

I honestly would have preferred Bale, or a recast batman like
    Matthew Goode.Keaton is not a bad actor but associating the new universe with Burton and later Schumacher films? Bad move I think.

Retired

If it was twenty or thirty years ago, I think Adam West would have made the best Bruce Wayne for what they seem to be doing. My understanding is that the Keaton character will be walking between worlds. So he's a science fiction Batman. Most of the film and T.V. Batmen have been too grounded to be science fiction characters. Even the Tim Burton movies didn't really have any science fiction in them--certainly not parallel worlds. At least with Adam West he voiced Bruce Wayne on THE NEW ADVENTURES OF BATMAN, which featured Bat-Mite.

Putting Christian Bale in that role would be the worst, because his Bruce Wayne was so grounded. Christopher Nolan didn't even want him teaming up with Superman.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

"I'm Batman! Well, one of them, actually. It's kind of complicated. Maybe a flow chart would help. Do you have pen and paper handy?"

I'd love it if he played the old man Batman from the Millerverse. Old Keaton is gritty as hell and would be a perfect fit. Throw in Carrie Kelley and I may just poop myself with glee!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If it was twenty or thirty years ago, I think Adam West would have made the best Bruce Wayne for what they seem to be doing. My understanding is that the Keaton character will be walking between worlds. So he's a science fiction Batman. Most of the film and T.V. Batmen have been too grounded to be science fiction characters. Even the Tim Burton movies didn't really have any science fiction in them--certainly not parallel worlds. At least with Adam West he voiced Bruce Wayne on THE NEW ADVENTURES OF BATMAN, which featured Bat-Mite.

Putting Christian Bale in that role would be the worst, because his Bruce Wayne was so grounded. Christopher Nolan didn't even want him teaming up with Superman.
    I dunno. Batman showing up on another world alone doesn't make him a 'science fiction character'. Batman has always done the gritty and grounded work of fighting lunatics and taking down organized crime in a world where aliens, sorcerors and time-travelers also exist. I agree it might be jarring to see Keaton's Batman in such a setting. But remember, its been 30 years since we last saw him (assuming they're sticking to the continuity of the Burton films). We have no idea what kind of Batman he could have become in the meantime or how much his Gotham changed.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/the_f...ration-a176238

Anyway, there's an interesting, but unlikely, theory here that Keaton's Batman will be the 'main' DCEU Batman moving forward, and Pattison's version will be confined to a self-contained trilogy. I have my doubts about the wisdom of a Batman in his seventies be the 'main' Batman, but who knows?

Astonishing Member

Keaton is perhaps the only live-action incarnation of the character that seemed more interesting to me than his villains so I’m game but I’d much rather him appear in a potential live-action Batman Beyond movie instead of being awkwardly shoehorned into a Flash movie acting against a Ezra Miller.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Happily ever after alongside a Michelle Pfieffer Catwoman.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Happily ever after alongside a Michelle Pfieffer Catwoman.
    Yes! I'd want to see them reunite, even if it's just one scene.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Keaton is perhaps the only live-action incarnation of the character that seemed more interesting to me than his villains so I’m game but I’d much rather him appear in a potential live-action Batman Beyond movie instead of being awkwardly shoehorned into a Flash movie acting against a Ezra Miller.
    So apparently, he'll make his DCEU debut in Flashpoint, and that will then set up a Batman Beyond movie, according to the latest rumors.