Incredible Member

Default Static Shock:Milestone's Spider-Man!

Naturally,they talk about the animated show but read his original comic book story,talk about the late Dwayne McDuffie,other Milestone characters like Hardware and Icon,towards the end they briefly discuss the possible return of the Milestone characters. So much in this episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8deVT9s1is

How can a copy of another character be considered any where on the same level of an Actual Character?

Why are people trying to diminish Static, an original powerful black character, to the level of a sidekick and carbon copy of a white male?

Why is it always white ppl doing trying to do this? Is this a reverse racism thing?

Why is this video so similar the "Be Great, Be Yourself" PS5 Miles concept when Miles is just copying spider-mans name and costume?

Sooo many questions...

Is Static really that original? He has electric powers, like Black Lightning. The Young Justice cartoon even had Jefferson be his mentor because of their power similarity.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

If you think Static isn't an original character then you haven't read or know much about Static at all.

You essentially said here that Quicksilver and Barry Allen are the same because they share the same powers.

Miles and Spiderman have basically the same origin, powers, and sense of humor. The only thing different is that he is black, which unless your racist isn't really that much of a difference at all.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveQuestions View Post
    If you think Static isn't an original character then you haven't read or know much about Static at all.

You essentially said here that Quicksilver and Barry Allen are the same because they share the same powers.

Miles and Spiderman have basically the same origin, powers, and sense of humor. The only thing different is that he is black, which unless your racist isn't really that much of a difference at all.
    I actually don't see the point in diminishing either character. There's space for original black teen heroes and black legacies as well. They're an opportunity to empower black kids and kids of all races no matter their uniqueness in the wider scope of comics.

It all comes down to the companies that control these characters to promote and give them their own space. And unfortunately kids who only a few years ago would've been Static fans are playing a Miles Morales video game and watching his award winning animated movies.

Clearly one company is putting in work to uplift their premier young black hero while the other seems to only recently be taking action (and that's assuming Milestone actually comes back). That's not an attack of the characters themselves (I actually prefer Static), but the businesses that control how they're used and perceived.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I actually don't see the point in diminishing either character. There's space for original black teen heroes and black legacies as well. They're an opportunity to empower black kids and kids of all races no matter their uniqueness in the wider scope of comics.

It all comes down to the companies that control these characters to promote and give them their own space. And unfortunately kids who only a few years ago would've been Static fans are playing a Miles Morales video game and watching his award winning animated movies.

Clearly one company is putting in work to uplift their premier young black hero while the other seems to only recently be taking action (and that's assuming Milestone actually comes back). That's not an attack of the characters themselves (I actually prefer Static), but the businesses that control how they're used and perceived.
    Thats not the question.

The question is why does it seem that White people are trying to diminish an actual original Black Character with character specifically designed to be a copy of a White character?

The funny thing here is that Static as a character is more comparable to Spider-Man Peter than he would ever be to Miles since Miles will never be anything other than a copy.

It's almost like White creators/fans purposely seek out ways to make themselves look good while at the same time undercutting Black characters and people?

Its very strange.
    Last edited by IHaveQuestions; 06-25-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Astonishing Member

Thats not the question.

The question is why does it seem that White people are trying to diminish an actual original Black Character with character specifically designed to be a copy of a White character?

The funny thing here is that Static as a character is more comparable to Spider-Man Peter than he would ever be to Miles since Miles will never be anything other than a copy.

It's almost like White creators/fans purposely seek out ways to make themselves look good while at the same time undercutting Black characters and people?

Its very strange.
    I'm black so I can't speak to what individual white people feel like doing but I can say that I've seen plenty of hate thrown towards Miles in favor of Static. And I've seen people throw Static under the bus to prop up Miles. Everyone's got an opinion but it never made sense to me that people need to attack other characters to make their favorites look better.

But I do agree that the Big Two push minority legacy characters because it's easier and in the grand scheme of things there's a permanent ceiling on their development. It's a way of having diversity without actually integrating black heroes into the fabric of their universe or carving out a distinctive space for them. Static is a bigger threat to the status quo of his universe than Miles is and I think creators and businesses know that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Is Static really that original? He has electric powers, like Black Lightning. The Young Justice cartoon even had Jefferson be his mentor because of their power similarity.
    Static wipes the floor with Black Lighting in terms of wehat he can do.

His powers are more than electric. The issue is his first series in not in trade where he does most it.

His abilities have been dumed down to where he "need" folks.

Static did not need hardware in New 52.

He does not need BL.

He was doing everything by himself from creating a HQ, his own stuff and so on.

You take all his version and you pretty much have someone who could be an Omega mutant if he was at Marvel.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I'm black so I can't speak to what individual white people feel like doing but I can say that I've seen plenty of hate thrown towards Miles in favor of Static. And I've seen people throw Static under the bus to prop up Miles. Everyone's got an opinion but it never made sense to me that people need to attack other characters to make their favorites look better.

But I do agree that the Big Two push minority legacy characters because it's easier and in the grand scheme of things there's a permanent ceiling on their development. It's a way of having diversity without actually integrating black heroes into the fabric of their universe or carving out a distinctive space for them. Static is a bigger threat to the status quo of his universe than Miles is and I think creators and businesses know that.
    He's a threat because he's still owned by black folks. He was created by 100% black folks.

Dc nor Marvel can boast a successful black character created bhy black creators only.

How big of a message would have been sent if Static not Panther had a billion dollar and 3 Oscar winning movie?

Incredible Member

How can a copy of another character be considered any where on the same level of an Actual Character?

Why are people trying to diminish Static, an original powerful black character, to the level of a sidekick and carbon copy of a white male?

Why is it always white ppl doing trying to do this? Is this a reverse racism thing?

Why is this video so similar the "Be Great, Be Yourself" PS5 Miles concept when Miles is just copying spider-mans name and costume?

Sooo many questions...
    Sorry,not sure what you mean as the almost 90 minute video is nothing but praise for Static,the Milestone universe and their creators.

Do you mean why do they say Static is based off of an archetype?

Static takes from Spiderman the same way Buffy Summers from Buffy the Vampire Slayer does. Both are everyman teenagers who have to balance two roles and Spiderman codified that archetypal struggle for many comic book fans.

That doesn't mean they are an exact one to one recreation.