Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mike Mignola discontinuing work with Scott Allie

This whole thing is very disturbing.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    I mean better late than never I guess but hard for me to praise Mignola here. Allie had another incident in 2015 where he groped and bit someone at SDCC and per former Dark Horse staffers on twitter Allie's behavior was an open secret in the office. Mignola may not have known about this specific incident but I find it really hard to believe that he didn't know something was up in regards to Allie. Below is Amy Reeder's response to Mignola:

I also find Dark Horse's initial response to be disappointing, saying they support Mike in his decision, took them a few hours to follow up with a statement in support of Shawna - kind of speaks to the issues over there.

It looks to me like Mignola will have to give a more elaborate explanation.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Took him long enough.

This whole affair has really dampened my love for one of my favorite comics. Of course, whatever minor stress this gives me is so paltry and insignificant compared to the pain he's caused his victims it's hardly worth mentioning. And what about the greater DH leadership? They're totally culpable.

but Mike Richardson has daughters, so it's totes okay.

Yeah, I've had an issue with Allie since this was brought to light some years ago. I believe in giving addicts a chance at reform. Allie is an addict, and most of his behavior was tied to his addiction. But maybe that's not the case now.

It doesn't really matter to me that much anymore. I've stopped reading any Mignolaverse books that aren't written solely by Mignola. The quality just isn't there unless it's only him.

Extraordinary Member

John Arcudi has a statement, broad strokes are that Mignola knew about this kind of behavior back in 2017.

Guy Davis also says Mignola knew about Allie's behavior.

Dammit.

Seems like he played a lot of folks like a fiddle and garnered sympathy claiming it was all alcoholism - but the drink just made him a sloppy, obvious creep instead of a less obvious, sober one.

(Edit)

Interesting altercation between Guy Davis and Arcudi (plus Dave Stewart); Guy accused Arcudi of continuing to work with Scott after a lot of stuff became public, only for him and Stewart to interject that they refused working with him after a certain point but the backlog of material they had worked on took quite a while to be released afterwards.

Also a sad revelation; Guy revealed the reason he left the book, and it seems comics in general, was because of a toxic work environment he specifies as being created by Scott, Mike, and John, causing him to leave long before the allegations against Allie came out.

What a terrible loss for comics, but I hope he's happy and no doubt he's far better paid doing concept work for film, TV, and video games. Then there's the unknown, unquantifiable loss of many talented people who wanted to work on comics and were no doubt run off by people like Allie and some of the other folks we've been learning about recently.
    Last edited by Angilasman; 06-25-2020 at 09:27 PM.

Last edited by Joker; 06-26-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Amy Reeder is off base there.

She's blaming someone for crimes they knew nothing about (as per the statement released) and didn't commit.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

But the argument is that he did know.

And I appreciate Mignola admitting he turned a bit of a blind eye toward it. Accepting the behavior as a side effect of alcoholism. But Arcudi says otherwise.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    But the argument is that he did know.

And I appreciate Mignola admitting he turned a bit of a blind eye toward it. Accepting the behavior as a side effect of alcoholism. But Arcudi says otherwise.
    That's what upsets me the most about this, because Mignola continued to work with Allie I figured that the previous allegations that had been rumored were just that, ugly rumors and not the truth. As a guy with a wife who works with him and the father of a daughter I thought that if there was anything to the rumors he would have broken away post haste so the fact that he never did made me doubt the accusations which is terrible on my part.

Not that it means anything with the ongoing Corvid-era comic situation, I just went on DHC to find their updated list, my LCS has been trying to keep things for me, and I am not seeing any of the Mignola titles on DHC (sparse) upcoming page. It may just be the Corvid re-adjustment issue.
    “Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons.” -- Hellboy.
    “Dude, you’re embarrassing me in front of the Wizards.” -- Tony Stark.

Quote Originally Posted by timbolton View Post
    Not that it means anything with the ongoing Corvid-era comic situation, I just went on DHC to find their updated list, my LCS has been trying to keep things for me, and I am not seeing any of the Mignola titles on DHC (sparse) upcoming page. It may just be the Corvid re-adjustment issue.
    Everything was bumped back around six months due to the pandemic. However, The Last Knight of St. Hagan has been removed from the schedule. October's solicitations aren't out, so anything from then on is still in flux, but this is the projected schedule:

September:
    16: Frankenstein Undone #3
    16: Fearless Dawn Meets Hellboy (Albatross Funnybooks)

October:
    21: Frankenstein Undone #4
    28: Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: The Return of Effie Kolb #2

November:
    11: Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: The Seven Wives Club
    18: Frankenstein Undone #4

December:
    2: Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: Her Fatal Hour and The Sending

The Dark Horse site will add these items following solicitations as usual. (Well, except for Fearless Dawn Meets Hellboy... they aren't publishing that one.)
    Last edited by middenway; 07-09-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Phew, because when I saw none, I have to admit, I was a tad worried.

Of the ones that came out in lockdown - just Witchfinder #5 and Frankenstein #2? Need to make sure my LCS has a copy.
    “Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons.” -- Hellboy.
    “Dude, you’re embarrassing me in front of the Wizards.” -- Tony Stark.