Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post

Antarctica is about as far away from home as you can get without leaving Earth.
    Not if you live in Tasmania, New Zealand, or Chile.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Not if you live in Tasmania, New Zealand, or Chile.
    Maybe, but I bet it sure feels that way.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    616 Universe San Fancisco has different bridges. That's canon. Because of the earlier harvest and the Secret Wars.
    Not to brag, but I provided actual bridge documentation.

Just to compliment us on our return to extraneous discussion. It's an enjoyable aspect of this contest.

Maybe, but I bet it sure feels that way.
    Yes and no. One of my cousins spent a year working at Mawson Base, Antarctica.

Oh wow, that's pretty amazing. I'll take your word for it then.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Actually I'd be thrilled. My dream as a paleontologist would be to join a dinosaur hunting expedition in the Gobi Desert, maybe with the AMNH (which I visited during our US trip way back in '98).
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Actually I'd be thrilled. My dream as a paleontologist would be to join a dinosaur hunting expedition in the Gobi Desert, maybe with the AMNH (which I visited during our US trip way back in '98).
    Hopefully, yopu will get to visit again. The AMNH is changed and improved.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Oh wow, that's pretty amazing. I'll take your word for it then.
    According to him, there are definitely times when you know that you're at the end of the world, especially during the winter season. But during the summer season, when there's a lot more activity, often you could just be on one of Australia's remote islands.

It was amazing to hear his stories and see the photos he took, but I don't think I'd want to do it. (Also he's an electrician. My skill set is not one that's needed in Antarctica.)

From what I was told by a fellow biologist who spent a year in Antarctica, the biggest hurdle to being there is a psychological one. She described it as a pretty isolated and claustrophobic experience.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    From what I was told by a fellow biologist who spent a year in Antarctica, the biggest hurdle to being there is a psychological one. She described it as a pretty isolated and claustrophobic experience.
    Definitely. You go through some pretty thorough psych testing before you're accepted for the program (at least here in Oz), and before you start training. According to my cousin Robert, the claustrophobia during the winter months can be a real killer. The other one is that you have to be able to get along with your team members, because they are the only people you will be seeing for at least six months (if your wintering in Antarctica).

Definitely. You go through some pretty thorough psych testing before you're accepted for the program (at least here in Oz), and before you start training. According to my cousin Robert, the claustrophobia during the winter months can be a real killer. The other one is that you have to be able to get along with your team members, because they are the only people you will be seeing for at least six months (if your wintering in Antarctica).
    I have heard of parallels being drawn between extended stays in Antarctica and potential long space trips, like to Mars, or even long stays on the Space Station.

seismic-2 for fun in the tropical sun.

kjn this week.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Worstblogever for me. Frank, in full battlesuit and a Aussie bush hat, cutting loose with a shotgun while astride a camel! Hell, what can be better?

Piggybacking on the recent chat about Antarctica, I don't know if there's any anime fans here, but I watched an absolutely delightful series called A Place Further Than The Universe which was about four Japanese high school girls going on an expedition by their countrymen to Antarctica.

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 06-30-2020 at 01:17 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!