Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Why is the Ghost Rider considered as so powerful?

Hello,
    I have to say I dont read much Marvel Comics, but I have seen Marvel Movies etc.

I would like to ask why is the Ghost Rider considered as so powerful?

I mean I read about his powers etc. and also saw the Film (cant remember much of it), but I dont understand why he is considered as so powerful.

I mean they say that his strength level is 25 tons, he has the penance stare (which also has weaknesses against Venom,Punisher etc.) but he doesnt seem to be so powerful to me.

What makes him so powerful?

I mean I can understand Silver Surfer being considered as extremely powerful and DC Spectre, but Ghost Rider seems to be not at their level.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Hello,
    I have to say I dont read much Marvel Comics, but I have seen Marvel Movies etc.

I would like to ask why is the Ghost Rider considered as so powerful?

I mean I read about his powers etc. and also saw the Film (cant remember much of it), but I dont understand why he is considered as so powerful.

I mean they say that his strength level is 25 tons, he has the penance stare (which also has weaknesses against Venom,Punisher etc.) but he doesnt seem to be so powerful to me.

What makes him so powerful?

I mean I can understand Silver Surfer being considered as extremely powerful and DC Spectre, but Ghost Rider seems to be not at their level.
    Well, the Penance Stare doesn't work on Venom due to the fact the Symbiote is an alien. The Punisher isn't remorseful over the people he has killed (plus he doesn't kill anybody who is "innocent").

The Ghost Rider operates in the same fashion as The Spectre, but you are right in that he isn't as powerful (Spectre has turned people to glass and salt on occasion). But his powers do make him formidable. Hellfire is pretty potent (which is what Johnny originally had during his initial run). The Penance Stare was added later on and was thought to be exclusive to Danny.

It really Depends on the writer and the situation. Ghost Rider went up against Green Scar (Worldbreaker Hulk) single handedly. One iteration he is a Demon, next an Angel. The Spirit of Vengeance is pretty damn powerful. But being bonded to a human keeps it in check somewhat. Zarathos apart from Johnny needed the entire Midnight Sons to take him down (including Doctor Strange).

At the moment, Johnny is obscenely powerful because, as the current ruler of hell (one of them anyway) the entire power of being "the king" is at his disposal and is fuelling him to a degree. He took out Danny no sweat and gave Strange a beat down as well.

Mighty Member

Ok-I still dont get it..

Why is he considered as being so powerful?
    He has:
    Strength level (around 25 tons-I dont know how impressive is this in Marvel Comics, but if I compare that to DC Levels this isnt very powerful)
    Hellfire or normal fire (can physically damage people or traumatize their souls)
    Chain (which has different uses and is equipped with the hellfire)
    Penance Stare
    Bike which is very fast and can defy the laws of physic)
    Shotgun

Venom is resistant to Penance Star because he is a symbiote and others feel no remorse.

What makes him so powerful that he can fight the Hulk etc.?

I mean against normal people the shotgun,chain,strength level is great, but Hulk etc. are on a whole other level..
    Based on pure strength alone the Hulk is on a much other level.

Its that because the hellfire and penance star are so powerful that he can burn their souls or?
    Can he increase his strength level and be as strong as the hulk or?

Honestly? And I say this as a fan...

Because he got popular during the grim and gritty nineties and was subsequently wanked by creators to no end.

Mighty Member

That wasnt the question..

My question is HOW can he keep up with HULK etc. if he is only around 25 tons.

Is it the HELLFIRE ability which makes him so strong, can he get stronger or??

What is a "ton?"
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The penance stare doesn't work on aliens? All aliens? Or just symbiotes?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    What is a "ton?"
    I dont understand the question..

A METRIC TON equal to 2204 lbs.

…I mean they say that his strength level is 25 tons.…
    You've got a accurate mesure… Well, to the human being I am, it looks rather high. So, Hulk has a strength of…?

I don't know the story to which you refer, but in all stories I read with the Ghost Rider, this latter was hard to kill.

What is he but a skeleton made of…? So that the laws of physics don't quite apply to him seems… logical.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Ok-I still dont get it..

Why is he considered as being so powerful?
    He has:
    Strength level (around 25 tons-I dont know how impressive is this in Marvel Comics, but if I compare that to DC Levels this isnt very powerful)
    Hellfire or normal fire (can physically damage people or traumatize their souls)
    Chain (which has different uses and is equipped with the hellfire)
    Penance Stare
    Bike which is very fast and can defy the laws of physic)
    Shotgun

Venom is resistant to Penance Star because he is a symbiote and others feel no remorse.

What makes him so powerful that he can fight the Hulk etc.?

I mean against normal people the shotgun,chain,strength level is great, but Hulk etc. are on a whole other level..
    Based on pure strength alone the Hulk is on a much other level.

Its that because the hellfire and penance star are so powerful that he can burn their souls or?
    Can he increase his strength level and be as strong as the hulk or?
    Yes.

1000char
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

How Strong is Ghost Rider [ Johnny Blaze ] ~ zarathos an Angelic Skyfather ? | Marvel COMICS

Extraordinary Member

She Hulk (amped) vs Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes)

Extraordinary Member

Check out this thread by the way.
    THREAD: THOUGHTS ON THIS PHYSICAL STRENGTH ASSESSMENT FROM 1981?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ment-from-1981
    and
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...rom-1981/page2

That wasnt the question..

My question is HOW can he keep up with HULK etc. if he is only around 25 tons.

Is it the HELLFIRE ability which makes him so strong, can he get stronger or??
    The handbooks dont always elaborate on everything for each character. Also, did you read GR 12 or 13? Where Strange was elaborating on Ghost Riders power? He described him as godlike and one of the few as able to actually take down Hulk. Problem according to Strange was the Illuminati weren't innocent so GR took no action.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Spectacular Member

This kind of stuff used to drive me absolutely nuts. How does Spider-man beat Firelord one issue but struggle with Vulture next? How does Gladiator get beaten by Gambit?!?! etc. etc.

I think as fans the best and healthiest thing we can do is accept that these power levels are, more often than not, arbitrary. The needs of the story will outweigh whatever preconceived info there is on a character. All it takes is approval from the editor. Is this always right? No, we fans generally expect some continuity with how strong or capable characters are depicted. But as long as it doesn't break all credibility, writers shouldn't be a slave to this stuff if they've got good stories to tell. Concerning GR, he's gotten buffed so much over the years that it's within plausibility for him to stand toe to toe with Hulk, even if the published power levels don't necessarily reflect that.