Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Toyman is kinda tough because Winslow alone has had some pretty drastic variations. I usually don't like him a great deal, but I can say he's generally more interesting than he at first seems. I like that since Lex is the number one villain, Schott is in a position to have a more memorable result of conflicts with Superman, instead of coming back every few months.
    Too Drastic. These are not the same guy in a new costume...these are completely different characters...that could simultaneously exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I actually do like Jack Nimball best though, as he was a "field villain" who used "toys" like a power to essentially go toe to toe. It's kinda cool that he had a finite story, but maybe he was gone a little too soon.

STAS is likely the most memorable version, and a great re-do... but I have to say that he's also just a Batman villain painted over for Superman.

Hiro eh... cool but no point in lumping him into the moniker imo. I love that he deals with Japanese pop culture and you know... the electronics that actually appeal to youth and entertainment these days.
    They all have their merits... Jack and Hiro are my favorites.

As for the 90s killer, there is surely room in Superman's rogues gallery for grimdark foes...but don't name any of them Toyman please.

Extraordinary Member

I generally agree with the idea that the STAS version is the most memorable, and the one who’s demented psyche makes the most sense for his theme. However...
    Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Too Drastic. These are not the same guy in a new costume...these are completely different characters...that could simultaneously exist!

They all have their merits... Jack and Hiro are my favorites.

As for the 90s killer, there is surely room in Superman's rogues gallery for grimdark foes...but don't name any of them Toyman please.
    ...I think you could easily have multiple Toymen, and even make some jokes about “competing brands.”

Winslow Schott as the elderly, grandfatherly Toyman who is a mildly evil Santa Claus with a soft spot for kids (in a *good* way, mind you) who just happens to have a sadistic side towards adults who’ve crossed him...

“Junior” Schott, who’s the demented man-child with the toy-mask after making a bad deal with an Apokiliptikan-affiliated portion of Intergang; his transformation is something that drive the older Schott into semi-retirement, and he’s operating more on Blue and Orange Morality...

The Toyman formerly known as Jack Nimball, who’s basically a dead Jack Nimball that Junior tried to “fix” and improve, looking like the Alex Ross designed marionette version, and acts as Junior’s public face and proxy, almost like a video-game Avatar, with a very dark and macabre attachment to him/it from Junior (“My favorite toy!”)...

Hiro, the Japanese amateur superhero who’s suing Schott for the name because he trademarked it first! .... and it’s bad publicity.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The Toyman formerly known as Jack Nimball, who’s basically a dead Jack Nimball that Junior tried to “fix” and improve, looking like the Alex Ross designed marionette version, and acts as Junior’s public face and proxy, almost like a video-game Avatar, with a very dark and macabre attachment to him/it from Junior (“My favorite toy!”)...
    I've never understood...why can't he just call himself Jack B Nimble (or Jack Bee Nimble or something)?
    Last edited by scary harpy; 07-01-2020 at 08:47 AM.

I generally agree with the idea that the STAS version is the most memorable, and the one who’s demented psyche makes the most sense for his theme. However...

...I think you could easily have multiple Toymen, and even make some jokes about “competing brands.”

Winslow Schott as the elderly, grandfatherly Toyman who is a mildly evil Santa Claus with a soft spot for kids (in a *good* way, mind you) who just happens to have a sadistic side towards adults who’ve crossed him...

“Junior” Schott, who’s the demented man-child with the toy-mask after making a bad deal with an Apokiliptikan-affiliated portion of Intergang; his transformation is something that drive the older Schott into semi-retirement, and he’s operating more on Blue and Orange Morality...

Hiro, the Japanese amateur superhero who’s suing Schott for the name because he trademarked it first! .... and it’s bad publicity.
    I'm vaguely on board with the idea of multiple different versions. Didn't Schott kill Nimball in the comics? Maybe that could be something that Junior did. I never liked the idea of one Toyman as being an artificial creation of another though. And I always got the vibe from Super-Friends that Toyman, who looked like Nimball, was an alien in that show. He had a planet and everything, and after all, the Legion of Doom was gathered together from remote galaxies... Hm.

But Hiro suing Junior for the Toyman trademark is an excellent idea. Of course, the evil Toyman will respond with violence rather than in court, which lends itself immediately to a War of the Toymen story where Superman has to intervene on Hiro's behalf!

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I've never understood...why can't he just call himself Jack B Nimble?
    final_5c11652ff41bff00120b1c29_347144.jpg
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Honestly, I'm going to be the "lone" guy who says the brightly-colored "classic" version. I enjoy all of them, and think that several could/should exist - maybe he was experimented on by LexCorp and his "better" self is a product of a medicine that makes him childlike and whimsical (and sometimes on Superman's side, but always protecting kids) but if he can't get the experimental medication or it's withheld from him for some reason, he breaks mentally and becomes the 90's version. Hiro could be his son, maybe?

I like all of them, but the one we just saw under Bendis is great.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member

At this point we should probably be treating Toyman like we treated Clayface in the Bat-mythos for a while. Just kind of assuming there would be another new version and wondering what they'll be like.

While I understand people's preference for the childlike STAS version and the child-killer version, I think there's potential for the Winslow Schott version without him being a child-killer. I kind of liked Geoff Johns's version who specifically hated other adults and created robotic dolls to stand in for them. There was kind of a creepy Dr. Coppelius quality to him. Like someone who had the affect of a "kindly old toymaker" but liked his automatons more than people.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    At this point we should probably be treating Toyman like we treated Clayface in the Bat-mythos for a while. Just kind of assuming there would be another new version and wondering what they'll be like.

While I understand people's preference for the childlike STAS version and the child-killer version, I think there's potential for the Winslow Schott version without him being a child-killer. I kind of liked Geoff Johns's version who specifically hated other adults and created robotic dolls to stand in for them. There was kind of a creepy Dr. Coppelius quality to him. Like someone who had the affect of a "kindly old toymaker" but liked his automatons more than people.
    I can take or leave the child killer aspect (I do think Supes should have a Rogue who is Arkham-tier nuts), but I 100% hate when they portray him as a pedo. That’s too edgy for me.