Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Dude you need to chill out! It's a comic book...........
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Who exactly??

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Who exactly??
    The one cursing you because you don't agree with their opinion.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Exactly. It's just a comic book. None of this matters in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Oh **** you. No one gives a flying **** you moron
    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I don't give a **** about your opinion on Spider-Man, dude. I'm just tired of everyone being on my ass about this stuff and keep trying to rationalize their jaded viewpoints and shoving it down others' throats like its Gospel. Newsflash: you are not the definitive word on Spider-Man. Neither am I. So why don't we stop pretending and just move on?
    Waaaaaaaaaaayy over the line.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Waaaaaaaaaaayy over the line.
    Yeah, sure. It was. I was over the line. But who cares? None of this matters. We all die, these comics burn up, and nothing is accomplished except wasted years and wasted time.

BANNED

First of all we haven't had a new issue in months...
    We haven't had new issues for many comics for months, because of this called pandemics. It's a strange complaint to make.

Not a real big development there. Before that we had the Absolute Carnage crap fest with NOTHING added to peter's personal growth there.
    Not written by Spencer, it was by Donny Cates who was prevented from making any lasting changes in Peter's life owing to Spencer being the lead writer.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    We haven't had new issues for many comics for months, because of this called pandemics. It's a strange complaint to make.

Not written by Spencer, it was by Donny Cates who was prevented from making any lasting changes in Peter's life owing to Spencer being the lead writer.
    Actually, Spencer did still write the Absolute Carnage tie-in issues. At the very least, he was credited by the comic as its writer, from what I could recall. That said, Absolute Carnage was primarily Venom's story, so it wouldn't be the right moment in time to be making shocking changes to Peter's life in the first place.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Actually, Spencer did still write the Absolute Carnage tie-in issues. At the very least, he was credited by the comic as its writer, from what I could recall. That said, Absolute Carnage was primarily Venom's story, so it wouldn't be the right moment in time to be making shocking changes to Peter's life in the first place.
    And there was growth: Peter and Eddie knowing each other's identities and being friends for the first time since...ever. And Peter defeated Carnage-Osborn, which he didn't do in "Go Down Swinging." How that isn't growth I don't know.

Incredible Member

I stated in one of my 4 or so posts that I am aware of the COVID Pandemic slowing things down and that the pacing of the book was already pretty slow to begin with. I live in NYC and I'm fully aware of the situation however I have also mentioned on DC was still digitally releasing new books like Batman, Wonder Woman and Justice league whereas Marvel has been sporadically releasing things that IN MY OPINION don't seem important or have no real developments.

Absolute Carnage had a two issue tie in in Amazing Spider-Man that was written by Spencer. One of those tie ins specifically dealt with Kindred and Norman Osborn and whole that may be a "development" for them, it doesn't really add to Peter Parker (just yet.) Venom and Spider-Man knowing their civilian identities is NOT a new development as it's been done before. Granted that Eddie was more civilized with Spider-Man but that's mainly a Danny Cates written character growth for Venom, not Peter Parker. And yeah Peter beat Norman Osborn whom had just a small fraction of the Carnage symbiote but in Amazing 800, Peter also willingly told the Venom Symbiote he could handle Norman at the very end. It's not like Peter couldn't handle Norman then and him being Norman again is not a new development IN MY OPINION.

These are not opinions I am pushing upon any of you as fact. My opinion is the pacing for this current volume is a little slow and I don't feel anything new has been added.

The Absolute Carnage ASM tie-in issues were really strong, I thought. Ottley got to shine channeling some of that Invincible action and the story impressed me because for being a tie-in to Venom's event it did a lot to move threads forward with Kindred and was actually a pretty meaningful rumination on Osborn's relationship with Peter while not having him even really be present mentally.

Some of my favorite arcs so far have been the first arc, the JJJ/Big-Man arc, 24 and 25, the Absolute Carnage arc, the Chance/Foreigner arc, and the Gog arc. Just solid Spidey stories, nothing groundbreaking but fun stories with good art.

I've been reading Spidey since 2001, there's been a few times where I lost interest in picking up the main title like Civil War and ASM post Peter's Superior return, I got back in around Clone Conspiracy and that event just disappointed me so much after the first issue, and then I returned again for Slott's final arc which I enjoyed. I like liking new Spidey comics, it's like hanging out with old friends.

One of the biggest pluses so far for me has been all the Ryan Ottley, I was thinking years ago how he'd be such a good fit on Spidey if he ever stopped drawing Invincible and man has he been such a treat on the book. Love that they're giving him pretty much everybody to draw! It's like Michilinie writing stories for McFarlane to draw, just give him everybody.

BANNED

I stated in one of my 4 or so posts that I am aware of the COVID Pandemic slowing things down and that the pacing of the book was already pretty slow to begin with. I live in NYC and I'm fully aware of the situation however I have also mentioned on DC was still digitally releasing new books like Batman, Wonder Woman and Justice league whereas Marvel has been sporadically releasing things that IN MY OPINION don't seem important or have no real developments.
    The release and distribution are absolutely not Spencer's domain. He's not the guy taking decisions about that.

You are conflating your issues with Spencer's run with the distribution of Marvel. If you have issues about Spencer, you have a right to say that. But blaming that on top of the distribution stuff is a) unfair, b) given the crisis at hand, incredibly insensitive. I mean who cares if the pacing of comics is too slow when it seemed for a while that the entire comics business would collapse in the wake of the pandemic. As it is many tiltes are cancelled or moved digital, people have been laid off.

I mean Marauders by Gerry Duggan has been on a cliffhanger for several months past its projected resolution due to the pandemic but you don't see people picketing Duggan for being too slow when the first Marauders issue (which came out in the first week after Marvel restarted) continued its buildup.

Incredible Member

The release and distribution are absolutely not Spencer's domain. He's not the guy taking decisions about that.

You are conflating your issues with Spencer's run with the distribution of Marvel. If you have issues about Spencer, you have a right to say that. But blaming that on top of the distribution stuff is a) unfair, b) given the crisis at hand, incredibly insensitive. I mean who cares if the pacing of comics is too slow when it seemed for a while that the entire comics business would collapse in the wake of the pandemic. As it is many tiltes are cancelled or moved digital, people have been laid off.

I mean Marauders by Gerry Duggan has been on a cliffhanger for several months past its projected resolution due to the pandemic but you don't see people picketing Duggan for being too slow when the first Marauders issue (which came out in the first week after Marvel restarted) continued its buildup.

I am not sure how to make my thoughts as simple as possible as to not confuse anyone without writing a wall of text here that no one will read to begin it but I will try to make it clear as possible to avoid further conflict.

I am fully aware of the COVID situation for a number of reasons; I live in Queens, New York and nothing has been easy about any of it. I am considered an "essential worker" but all of my friends and family have been laid off and we have had several deaths in the family related to COVID. So I state again; I am fully aware of the situation and don't believe I am being "insensitive" about it. My argument (for lack of a better term) regarding comics is that we live in a digital age and Marvel seemed to be the only company that decided they would only release some books and yet none of those books are their important main stream titles. Now that statement will bring a flurry of angry posts assuming I am saying books like Jane Foster or Empyre Avengers are not important. I am not trivializing those titles. I am simply comparing DC and Marvel in that DC still released the Batman title (which has been building up to the Joker War story) and Superman (whatever the hell Bendis is doing there) and Wonder Woman and Justice League. Even Boom Studios has continued to release Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Marvel slowed their release or stopped them entirely and I do understand. I stress again I DO UNDERSTAND. However, that decision makes the pacing of Spider-Man that much harder and in my opinion is making me lose focus or interest in whatever is being built with Kindred.

I am aware that it is not Spencer’s fault that Marvel decided not to go digital with their books and I do not recall ever blaming him for it. I also do not recall stating that I dislike Spencer or his writing. In fact, I did mention enjoying Captain America while the internet was busy sending him death threats and hating on the title. I think Spencer is a fine writer in regards to Spider-Man but my issue with the series is just the pacing. Kindred first appeared two years ago and has made a few appearances with a few hints here and there but as a reader who started collected at the beginning of the 90’s Clone Saga, these long waits on big reveals tend to not deliver or are underwhelming when dragged too long. A few examples that I can think of are when we had Judas Traveller around for two years with his few sporadic appearances only to have a somewhat vague origin in Amazing Spider-Man 417. We had Gaunt during the Ben Reilly era who was hinted at being the main mastermind behind the Clone Saga only to not only have his identity revealed for several more months, but to also find out that there was someone higher up than him and we had to wait for Amazing Spider-Man 418 for that reveal – two years for the Clone Saga to be resolved. During the Spider-Hunt story, we were introduced to yet another Green Goblin who was using primarily in that story and the Goblin at the Gates story. This Goblin disappeared until issues 18 of Amazing Spider-Man and “adjectiveless” Spider-Man only to have a big reveal of a construct with a melting face never to be seen again (probably died but who knows and who cares?)

In the end, my issue is with the pacing. I was “put in my place” for questioning Peter being in college again but how could you fault me for not remembering when we see Peter go back to school in the first issue of this volume and the rest of that five part story and then it was (as far as I recall) not shown again until Curt Connors is giving a lecture about time and we see Spider-Man 2099 crash land onto the oil rig. Then we don’t see school mentioned again (AS FAR AS I RECALL) until the actual 2099 story. Now what about work? I can’t even remember what job Peter has now. Is that my fault for not remembering the exact issue, page and panel of when it may have been hinted that he is doing this, that or the other thing for work? I don’t recall it. I don’t know how else to say this so I guess this is the end of this wall of text rant.

BANNED

I am not sure how to make my thoughts as simple as possible as to not confuse anyone without writing a wall of text here that no one will read to begin it but I will try to make it clear as possible to avoid further conflict.
    I tend to be partial to WoT myself, so no complaints from me about that.

I am fully aware of the COVID situation for a number of reasons; I live in Queens, New York and nothing has been easy about any of it. I am considered an "essential worker" but all of my friends and family have been laid off and we have had several deaths in the family related to COVID. So I state again; I am fully aware of the situation and don't believe I am being "insensitive" about it.
    Well first of all, I want to extend a sentiment of gratitude to you for your work during a crisis. I have a great deal of respect for essential workers. That might sound trite and hollow coming online, but you can take that from me, if you so choose.

At the same time, none of us here can presume to know your background and biography when you post here. So going by your comments, we make observations and critiques.

My argument (for lack of a better term) regarding comics is that we live in a digital age and Marvel seemed to be the only company that decided they would only release some books and yet none of those books are their important main stream titles.
    I am not a fan of Marvel's choices during the pandemic either in terms of distribution. They chose their floppy customers because of pressures by Diamond and other old-boy networks over their customers and consumers. Maybe it's for the best since comics are not really a profit-making venture anymore and going fully digital would end that illusion and have them live or die by the sword. But I understand this complaint.

However, that decision makes the pacing of Spider-Man that much harder and in my opinion is making me lose focus or interest in whatever is being built with Kindred.
    Bear in mind that if things had been different, we would already be heading into ASM#50 at this point, where I am sure the Kindred reveal might have happened. Remember that the original Green Goblin reveal in the Lee-Ditko Era happened between ASM#14 (1964) and ASM#40 (1966) some two years of mystery. Kindred's reveal would happen in that time. If it goes longer than that, that could be an issue owing to what happened with the Hobgoblin.

Okay, I think we all need to take a chill pill and move on. I escalated the situation by letting my emotions get the best of me, and I apologize to everyone. But before the situation gets even more out of hand, I'll ask the mods to close and lock this thread.