Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    With how he wrote Kraven, Vulture, and Mysterio, I'm thinking you're right, Frontier. And I hope he brings him back during his run.
    Here are my Top 10 ideas in no particular order. 1: Otto and Peter team up against Norman. Not buddy, buddy but because they both hate his guts. 2: Shocker. I like the character, but I have yet to see the defining story involving him. 3: End of OMD. 4: Pete and MJ remarry. 5: I would love to see Spider-Man versus Juggernaut again. 6: Bring back Hobgoblin ( Kingsley). 7: Pete become more successful. It could be Parker Industries or something else but no more “Poor Pete. 8: Let Pete get a Doctorate. He is smarter then most people in Marvel ( maybe not Richards, Stark, Banner or Pym), but smarter then most. 9: Bring in Annie from ( RYV). Letting her meet Pete and MJ can set up an interesting dynamic. 10: No more Aunt May.

I like Spencer and his run has been fun and enjoyable, but I am really hoping it picks up the pace here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Im enjoying Spencers run but if he's leaving I mean Donny Cates expressed a passionate interest in writing Spidey.
    Cates would be Amazing For real, I love the way he writes Peter.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Im enjoying Spencers run but if he's leaving I mean Donny Cates expressed a passionate interest in writing Spidey.
    That is so important. On of my issues ( one of many with Dan Slott), was he always gave the impression that he liked Spider-Man but not Peter Parker ( the constant ‘Charlie Brown’ comparisons used to irk me no end. Why? Charlie Brown was a loser, always was and likely always will be). Enjoying both characters ( and the supporting cast) is huge to me:

BANNED

Folks, 2021-2022 is a LONG way off, so let's enjoy Spencer's run.

Remember how people wondered if the comics business would withstand this pandemic? We might not have gotten any Marvel comics.

And remember that historically shorter runs of Spider-Man are valued far more than longer runs. Just because Slott on ASM put a lot of stock of writing as many issues as possible doesn't change the fact that the 30 issues of Roger Stern's ASM is better than the entirety of his 200 issues (not including the 40 issues which other writers scripted for him).

So Spencer ending the run with 100 issues (which by the way isn't a short run...that puts him in Michelinie territory), isn't such a bad thing.

As for who'll be the next in line...Cates has thrown his hat in the ring, but you also have other contenders like Gerry Duggan (who's on fire with Marauders and other titles) and whose blend of humor, action, comedy could make him a decent fit for Spider-Man. Christopher Cantwell, the showrunner from Halt and Catch Fire, has done well as a first time Marvel comics writer in stuff like Doctor Doom and he's set to take over Iron Man from Slott, so maybe him?

If Cates comes on ASM, he would be the first writer who transitioned from Thor to writing ASM. Historically that has never happened until now. The reverse has happened (Defalco and JMS went from ASM to Thor) but never the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Personally I'm completely ready for a new dynamic between Peter and Otto. As long as Spencer doesn't write them like Slott/Gage did during the later point of their run, I'm good.

I'm guessing Spencer probably conceptualizes Otto differently then Slott did anyhow.
    I can't speak for others obviously, but I think now is the perfect time in-story for Otto to "revert" back to his characterization right before his first death at the hands of Kaine -- except I wouldn't see it as a reversion, as I think that particular status quo for the character makes sense after what Otto went through with Superior.

Regardless, I do hope we don't get a cackling silver-age Dr. Octopus. Depth and nuance are always welcome.

-Pav, who liked the white suit as well...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Folks, 2021-2022 is a LONG way off, so let's enjoy Spencer's run.

Remember how people wondered if the comics business would withstand this pandemic? We might not have gotten any Marvel comics.

And remember that historically shorter runs of Spider-Man are valued far more than longer runs. Just because Slott on ASM put a lot of stock of writing as many issues as possible doesn't change the fact that the 30 issues of Roger Stern's ASM is better than the entirety of his 200 issues (not including the 40 issues which other writers scripted for him).

So Spencer ending the run with 100 issues (which by the way isn't a short run...that puts him in Michelinie territory), isn't such a bad thing.

As for who'll be the next in line...Cates has thrown his hat in the ring, but you also have other contenders like Gerry Duggan (who's on fire with Marauders and other titles) and whose blend of humor, action, comedy could make him a decent fit for Spider-Man. Christopher Cantwell, the showrunner from Halt and Catch Fire, has done well as a first time Marvel comics writer in stuff like Doctor Doom and he's set to take over Iron Man from Slott, so maybe him?

If Cates comes on ASM, he would be the first writer who transitioned from Thor to writing ASM. Historically that has never happened until now. The reverse has happened (Defalco and JMS went from ASM to Thor) but never the other way.
    Somehow I don't see Spencer transitioning to Thor .
    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I can't speak for others obviously, but I think now is the perfect time in-story for Otto to "revert" back to his characterization right before his first death at the hands of Kaine -- except I wouldn't see it as a reversion, as I think that particular status quo for the character makes sense after what Otto went through with Superior.

Regardless, I do hope we don't get a cackling silver-age Dr. Octopus. Depth and nuance are always welcome.

-Pav, who liked the white suit as well...
    I'm fine with an Otto who sees Spidey as a his worthiest opponent and doesn't care about his identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Somehow I don't see Spencer transitioning to Thor .

I'm fine with an Otto who sees Spidey as a his worthiest opponent and doesn't care about his identity.
    Same here, but as with Pav, the last thing I want is "a cackling silver-age Dr. Octopus" so Marvel can get a short-lived nostalgia pop then leave Otto back in limbo (where he was before the run up to Superior).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

This is bad news for me. Spencer's ASM moves too slow and has been SUPER mediocre, almost as if he writes to "play it safe." He also has made third rate villain BOOMERANG the STAR of the book, at times even writing Pete/Spider-Man like his sidekick. I'm ready for another writer's take on ASM.

Do you know what would REALLY be awesome?!? If DONNY CATES graduated from writing Venom up to writing Amazing Spider-Man!!! Now THAT would be the day!!!!!

While I don't like how he made Dare Devil (and formerly Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Iron Fist) actually believe Spider-Man is pals with Fisk and Otto becoming Doctor Octopus again, I've been enjoying Spencer's run thus far even though I'm not really into this Boomerang becoming a friend of Peter's. My favorite story arc has been with Janice Lincoln's Sinister Six/Synister Syndicate.

Like others have said, I really wish we were on Kindred right now, especially with all the solicits, tie-ins, and covers that have been shown these past few months.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    This is bad news for me. Spencer's ASM moves too slow and has been SUPER mediocre, almost as if he writes to "play it safe." He also has made third rate villain BOOMERANG the STAR of the book, at times even writing Pete/Spider-Man like his sidekick. I'm ready for another writer's take on ASM.
    I cannot disagree more. Compared to 10 years of you know who, where almost every story sucked ( except Spider-Island, RYV and a couple of others), Spencer is Steve Ditko. I finally see Peter Parker as an adult instead of a man-child and compelling storylines that are not aggravating me ( like Silk, Jackpot, Alpha and BND to name a few):

I don't dislike Spencer. I actually like a lot of his characterizations - But I feel that, for the amount of issues we are in, there has been far too little movement aside from Kindred stuff and Peter's inter personal relationships. I don't know, it feels kinda slow and with filler issues here and there. Not bad, but to be honest its a bit saddening that my favorite issues were tie-in with Absolute Carnage.

I have hopes for it, though. I think Spencer is just warming up and once the Kindred stuff really takes off, we'll get a rounder run.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I will say that I think Kraven's Last Hunt Lite was unnecessary filler. Oh, and everyone knows how I feel about Boomerang. Still, I think Spencer has done a fine job thus far. Granted, he does play it "safe" but after Slott perhaps this is what the book needs a return to normalcy, who knows?
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I am somebody who has really enjoyed the Spencer run thus far, because in a lot of ways it feels like a breath of fresh air and as the first arc is aptly called "back to the basics." Dan Slott's long run on the book is heavily focused on doing big upends to the status quoand trying big-concept ideas and new setups, (new high tech gear, new scientist job, owning a tech company, Superior, Spider-Island, a new clone saga, stuff like that) and after a while it's nice to have something again that feels more concerned with the characters instead of big ideas. I like a lot of the ideas and stories earlier in Slott's run but characterization and the actual scripting wasn't always the best as it kept going (his Otto however was always on point).

I guess what I mean by focusing on the characters is a big part of Spencer's focus to me seems like he's trying to address a lot of the things people weren't so hot on in the years since One More Day, trying to honor the stuff that's happened since but trying to also rationalize and make sense of these things in terms of the bigger picture of everybody's history. So that's a big plus for me on the run, but I totally agree that more should be happening at this point.

Really it's not even 2 years yet (2 years in July) since the run began, but since it double ships we're almost 50 issues in so that has an effect on pacing the ongoing stories for sure because they want to do it at a certain time. I'm sure if it was shipping once a month we'd have a lot less filler and things would be more to the point but that's just not the nature for a flagship title like ASM. The filler stuff has mostly been enjoyable, however. The one arc I flat out did not enjoy was the 2099 arc.

I guess you could say things like Hunted are filler in the grand scheme of things but I think the thing at the end of the day I appreciate about it is the logistics of paying tribute to Last Hunt by putting og Kraven back in the grave, and simultaneously also having Kraven again for future stories but with a renewed purpose. Always thought it was pointless to bring him back, he never did anything with Spidey again after that until Hunted where Spencer put him back in the grave where he shoulda stayed. Maybe that's also what is holding things back in some people's eyes, as a lot of energy is being expended on trying to put things back.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 06-26-2020 at 04:03 PM.

I think ultimately it comes down to what do you want in a Spider-Man book? After 10 years and 200 issues, do you want it to go back to Basics? Or do you like the direction and want to keep going there? It's ultimately more than Spencer's story; it's the state of the fanbase. A lot of things were kept from Slott's tenure that showed up in other stories (Parker Industries in "Life Story", Spider-Verse in the animated show and the movie, "Spider-Island" in the show and partly the game, Mr. Negative being in the game, Anti-Venom being a major villain in Edge of Time, etc.), and in effect he changed the face of Spider-Man forever. But Spencer is also doing well by honoring the 50+ year history of the character and his world and restoring certain things while keeping others. In a sense, his run is an extended "Superman Reborn" arc.

So it just comes down to that first question: what are you looking for in a Spider-Man story?