Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Usually Spencer's long books are good because he's actually telling one story, so when he goes off track to write about seemingly random stuff you can have some confidence that it is in some way related, and it always is. With Spider-Man, he seems to have so many ideas coming in and characters he wants to write that instead of trying to work them all into the main Kindred story he is just going off on tangents (that at best have minor links like Kingpin and Kindred which barely affect the stories so there is no reason to care about their connection.) So we get these repetitive three-issue arcs that are good in a vaccuum but do nothing for the main story, instead serving these subplots that we have to wait a million years to get back to that feel like filler because the book has relied too much on one mystery that is probably going to disappoint because they waited so long on it and because the book is light on other interesting questions and mysteries. For this book to level up, this Sin-Eater story has to be good, and it likely will be, but also it needs to bring actual change to Peter's life that will actually bring something new to this book.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I don't think I agree that the book is aimless; I'd say a good comparison is Invincible, which had so many subplots running between issues that it often felt like it was too much. But in the end, they all collided into one singular storyline. It didn't happen overnight though - you just had to trust the direction. I think the same thing is happening here: it feels slow because it's double shipping and we're 50+ issues in: but it's just getting started.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I don't think I agree that the book is aimless; I'd say a good comparison is Invincible, which had so many subplots running between issues that it often felt like it was too much. But in the end, they all collided into one singular storyline. It didn't happen overnight though - you just had to trust the direction. I think the same thing is happening here: it feels slow because it's double shipping and we're 50+ issues in: but it's just getting started.
    I'd say that feels like an accurate comparison. I'm optimistic that a lot of these threads are going to be converging soon, hopefully in a satisfying big way. I think that's a make or break. Many of the individual stories while not being earth shattering have been solid, recognizably in character and well-drawn, but nothing specifically in the all-time great section yet.

It's all a storytelling approach where I see why it might not appeal to some as it feels like big things aren't happening often, it's instead a slow burn. On the whole I know I like when every single book feels like it has great importance and is a satisfying read where things happen and progress, I think more of that is necessary in this industry for readers to feel like they're getting their moneys worth, but that may be a problem with much of mainstream superhero comics on the whole.

That feels true for flagship titles like Spidey or Batman. I know a lot of Batman readers were upset with some issues of his run where characters would seemingly take a few steps by the end of the issue because the whole thing was mostly prose. In a way I think that can be satisfying as a single issue but I also see how people can get frustrated by that because they're buying a $3 or $4 issue of a main superhero title advertised as a big story and ostensibly it just spins its wheels getting to its conclusion, even if it's the writer trying to add more gravitas and spend time on something that just doesn't work as well in a monthly space where that is the entire chunk the monthly readers get.

I think the difference is Slott's run started off by having a big shift in status quo and upping the ante seemingly all the time, but that came after 100 issues of the Brand New Day era/direction which was them trying to reset Spidey to the status quo a lot of them grew up with in the 70s more or less. Right now it feels like Spencer is trying to do a more recognizably classic status quo but also not trying to discredit/hit the reset button on any of what came before. Everything counts and *it feels* like it's all going somewhere (what with the overt OMD references, villains from hell and all that).
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 06-26-2020 at 10:05 PM.

I mean, I think Spider-Man's daily adventures with a slow-burn overarching plot and a bunch of sub-plots is fairly par for the course with the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I think Spider-Man's daily adventures with a slow-burn overarching plot and a bunch of sub-plots is fairly par for the course with the character.
    Yeah, I mean Slott's high concept stuff is what's out of the ordinary. He kept putting Peter in one bizarre unreal scenario after another but because he was on title far longer than he deserved, there's this sense that this was the default.

Spencer's run is very much in the spirit of say, JMS, Michelinie, Defalco, Stern, Conway.

Bleeding Cool has a preview of ASM #850! It looks like Norman knows who Kindred is!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This series is about Spider-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    This series is about Spider-Man?
    Oh buzz off with that snark. Yes, it's about Spider-Man. It's been about Spider-Man for (nearly) 850 issues. Just because there are subplots for each character and a fleshed out world doesn't mean the series isn't about Spider-Man or Parker. That's such a loaded mindset.

But when every character in the run has a more interesting life than Spider-Man, is the book really about him, the most boring character in the series? Can I read more Gog comics? That was great. Can Pete have his back broken so Fred can become the next legacy Spider-Man? That'd be dope.

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Yeah, I mean Slott's high concept stuff is what's out of the ordinary. He kept putting Peter in one bizarre unreal scenario after another but because he was on title far longer than he deserved, there's this sense that this was the default.

Spencer's run is very much in the spirit of say, JMS, Michelinie, Defalco, Stern, Conway.
    Indeed, that's why I like it. I haven't enjoyed a Spider-Man comic this much since 2004/2005. I pretty much hated the entire BND/Slott era. This is such a return to form, Spencer can stay as long as he wants. I finally have my hero back.

But when every character in the run has a more interesting life than Spider-Man, is the book really about him, the most boring character in the series? Can I read more Gog comics? That was great. Can Pete have his back broken so Fred can become the next legacy Spider-Man? That'd be dope.
    That's what YOU say. Doesn't mean that's what's actually happening.

Thumbs up

*Thumbs way, way, WAY, down*

I hope you're joking because this sounds horrible to me. I can barely stand Boomerang as a sidekick type much less as the new star of Amazing. At least Otto came from a scientific background before he was "Spider-Man". *yuck*
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-27-2020 at 01:12 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Bleeding Cool has a preview of ASM #850! It looks like Norman knows who Kindred is!
    The newest free Marvel preview magazine also has a 2 page spread from #850 with Spidey and GG seemingly working together fighting all the people with Sin-Eater masks.

That's what YOU say. Doesn't mean that's what's actually happening.
    I agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I agree with him.
    Doesn't mean it's what's happening. It's y'alls perspective.