Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This is gold .
    I sense a new Justice Society International book. I hope Robanker still continues posts after he finds fame and fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    He did teach PG to box, leading Magog once to complain about her feet leaving the floor, (a reference to her ability to fly, when Magog was boxing her). A minor amusing moment. But...how did Wildcat teach PG how to box, and how did she learn Krav and Thai boxing....given that to properly learn them, you have to spar....and who is PG going to spar with? Only Diana among the super-super set is fast and strong enough and good enough to spar with, and she is busy doing other things.
    Maybe Karen learned to hold back a little for training? Maybe? Nah .

Either that or power dampners could work
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Either that or power dampners could work
    Gah, I ought to post that in that other thread, that's a special pet peeve of mine. Power dampeners that mysteriously work on widely divergent beings with completely different powers, much like the idea of diseases effecting aliens and gods and whatnot as well as ordinary mortals.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I sense a new Justice Society International book. I hope Robanker still continues posts after he finds fame and fortune.
    I would write a JSI for free, man.

He did teach PG to box, leading Magog once to complain about her feet leaving the floor, (a reference to her ability to fly, when Magog was boxing her). A minor amusing moment. But...how did Wildcat teach PG how to box, and how did she learn Krav and Thai boxing....given that to properly learn them, you have to spar....and who is PG going to spar with? Only Diana among the super-super set is fast and strong enough and good enough to spar with, and she is busy doing other things.
    She (like Kal) can dial her powers down to drink a glass of water without so much as cracking it. She can spar with Ted, Judomaster, etc. Technique can be taught across any level of strength.

Though I bet she'd probably go to Dinah or Diana if she wanted training... Maybe Dick to steal some glances at his legendary posterior.

Gah, I ought to post that in that other thread, that's a special pet peeve of mine. Power dampeners that mysteriously work on widely divergent beings with completely different powers, much like the idea of diseases effecting aliens and gods and whatnot as well as ordinary mortals.
    Yeah, it's always been beyond stupid that people can get depowered so uniformly. Like someone hits Flash, a human who had his body changed, with the same beam that hits Clark, and alien who photosynthesizes sunlight into power, and it renders them baseline human is beyond stupid... but so is either of them plucking someone out of a fall to their certain doom and not making them paste. Just something we gotta go with for the story to make sense or else we're courting the plot come to a screeching halt for a lesson in pseudo-science from people with (for the most part) no real background in scientific theory. Let's just roll with it and pop our collars when John Williams' score swells and Clark catches a helicopter out of the sky, dig?
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-03-2020 at 10:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I'm sure Kara can dial her powers down....but when she does, it isn't sparring. Sparring implies near full speed and power, or it's just dancing, and pretty useless...from Kara's perspective. The only way she'd be able to keep her skills, whatever they may be, is to spar with someone like Clark, Supergirl, or best case for Kara's getting better or at least retaining her level of skill....by sparring with Diana regularly. She's the only flying tank type on a Kryptonian level to some degree who is really known for her fighting skill, and the only one who can challenge PG on that level.

You can teach technique across any level of strength and speed, but you can't teach fighting itself that way. You have to actually fight, or at least spar with intent and focus. The rest are kata and basics.
    Last edited by achilles; 12-04-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Fantastic Member

I'd also add Donna, Starfire and from the JLI-era onwards Big Barda as potential sparring partners. While they're not quite the same level at the top end but probably close enough for sparring.

This discussion has reminded me of realism in comics. Good comics, according to some, limits the amount of "suspension of disbelief" aspects. Sure, the character can fly, but the other parts of the story needs to be based in reality. With PG's super strength, for the most part, she's capable of beating so many foes, but gets a challenge when a foe is super-strong as well. Sparring is something I knew a bit about, but not much. Not being able to use one's full strength was something I hadn't thought of and figured Batman could just teach Superman a few moves.

If the science of the "sweet science" is valid, that improves the story for me, even if I don't realize it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This discussion has reminded me of realism in comics. Good comics, according to some, limits the amount of "suspension of disbelief" aspects. Sure, the character can fly, but the other parts of the story needs to be based in reality. With PG's super strength, for the most part, she's capable of beating so many foes, but gets a challenge when a foe is super-strong as well. Sparring is something I knew a bit about, but not much. Not being able to use one's full strength was something I hadn't thought of and figured Batman could just teach Superman a few moves.

If the science of the "sweet science" is valid, that improves the story for me, even if I don't realize it.
    It has to make sense within the world established, not necessarily our world. It's when they stop following their own rules and anyone can beat everyone that you get broken narratives that don't make any sense. This is usually done to try and establish newer characters as threats or something by jobbing old school powerhouses.

Or when just anybody can join the Bat family, apparently. Remember when Bruce had to train for a decade and Robin was a born athlete who got on-the-job training and traditional training every night since he was a child? Now you get a costume and bam, expert in all fields.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Holmes View Post
    I'd also add Donna, Starfire and from the JLI-era onwards Big Barda as potential sparring partners. While they're not quite the same level at the top end but probably close enough for sparring.
    Good call on those two. But...I don't think she really even knows them. They should have them do that...maybe with Wildcat watching somehow...I'm not sure how he could see them spar at speed, but maybe he could coach her. Boxing is actually an awesome form of self defense. There's a video out there on YT where a pro boxer and his girlfriend are walking through a park in Eastern Europe somewhere, and two toughs grab at her. Guy puts on a hilarious clinic in boxing, hits and decks each one with each punch he makes. They wind up dazed, and the couple just walks off.

Fantastic Member

She certainly knows Barda as they were active on the Justice League at the same time, though not always on the same team admittedly. Whether she knows Donna or Kori is unknown but she's probably heard of them and has at least a mutual acquaintance or two?

Incredible Member

Finally, it seems we got a new tease of a JSA project https://twitter.com/THEBRYANHITCH/st...01703704416256

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Finally, it seems we got a new tease of a JSA project https://twitter.com/THEBRYANHITCH/st...01703704416256
    Liberty Belle and The Atom .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Liberty Belle and The Atom .
    I want to presume it's part of a flashback or cover, and the work won't be entirely a period piece. I'm glad we're finally getting something but I also want to see the modern day team members like Power Girl, Stargirl, Jade, Obsidian, Atom Smasher, Cyclone back and see what they can do with Yolanda and Beth now that they're alive again. Anyway now I guess we can know that some progress is being made we can start getting hyped.

Extraordinary Member

Bryan Hitch huh....