Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default How many of Superman's weaknesses are common knowledge in universe?

I was reading one day and was wondering about how Kryptonite became so well known with the populace of Metropolis...and the world. When it comes to Superman's weaknesses like red sunlight sapping his powers, or him not being able to see through lead, how well known are they in universe? I mean magic is easy to guess as it's not a weakness specific to Superman, but to everyone. However with his other weaknesses, how much does the general public know about Superman's weaknesses? Why does everyone know?

Good question!

Not sure I can provide much help, but will try.

I do not believe the vast majority--if anyone--knows about the Sunlight.

Some may be aware of lead shielding from supervision, however, still largely unknown. Also, lead shielding does not always play a major part of villains plans.

Kryptonite seems more well-known, but I do not know to what extent. Some villains, such as Luthor, do know about it and use it against Superman.

I think Kryptonite has probably been reported on by the Planet, but stuff that's more specific like that he can't see through lead or that he's susceptible to magic would probably only be something someone would really have to look into (like Luthor).

BANNED

they are common knowledge throughout the dc creation, and as criticism of the fact that it is too rotten (ww level, weaker than flash) a new one always appears, as some geeks praying on a planet weakened it.

BANNED

Magic should not be a weakness.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    Magic should not be a weakness.
    Why not? There is nothing in Superman's powerset that indicates that he should have any defenses against magical attacks. All his powers are physically based. It goes back to the thread that I had about how DC should have different kinds of invulnersbilities. Shazam and Wonderwoman, should have different types of invulnerability then Superman. I feel Shazam's invulnerability should be some kind of mystical field, Wonderwoman should have somekind of excelerated healing ability etc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Why not? There is nothing in Superman's powerset that indicates that he should have any defenses against magical attacks. All his powers are physically based. It goes back to the thread that I had about how DC should have different kinds of invulnersbilities. Shazam and Wonderwoman, should have different types of invulnerability then Superman. I feel Shazam's invulnerability should be some kind of mystical field, Wonderwoman should have somekind of excelerated healing ability etc.
    It is one thing to have no resistance to magic and another to be weak to it. also if I remember correctly in a comic it was said that superman is a descendant of Rao, therefore the magic runs through his blood. according to your logic it means that kryptonite should be a weakness against all species that do not have special resistance to radiation.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    also if I remember correctly in a comic it was said that superman is a descendant of Rao, therefore the magic runs through his blood
    Anyone remember if Justice League of America (2015-) established or disestablished anything like that (Just start on issue 1 if you want to read it- that whole JLA run is one long story)? Rao was heavily featured in that. It's probably the most extensive run involving a historical Rao or someone claiming to be Rao that they've ever done lengthy wise. I don't recall it stating that Clark was related to Rao, but I also don't remember it stating that he was not, and, to be honest, I don't remember it that well, aside from it being pretty good, and really brightened my day when some back issues that had been delayed came after the New52 Superman was generally gone (The series featured the New52 Superman) were released.

There was some early talk that the series might not be canon and the Superman might be generic despite the New52 costume (Early interviews suggested that he could be, and he was written fairly down the middle early, though a scene with Wonder Woman is open to interpretation), but the ending explicitly ties it into canon and explicitly makes him the New52 Superman. I also remember the infinity stones and the people studying them reappeared in at least one Rebirth Justice League (Regular, not "of America") story, which suggests that the gist of it survived at least the initial continuity changes.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 06-28-2020 at 11:11 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Anyone remember if Justice League of America (2015-) established or disestablished anything like that (Just start on issue 1 if you want to read it- that whole JLA run is one long story)? Rao was heavily featured in that. It's probably the most extensive run involving a historical Rao or someone claiming to be Rao that they've ever done lengthy wise. I don't recall it stating that Clark was related to Rao, but I also don't remember it stating that he was not, and, to be honest, I don't remember it that well, aside from it being pretty good, and really brightened my day when some back issues that had been delayed came after the New52 Superman was generally gone (The series featured the New52 Superman) were released.

There was some early talk that the series might not be canon and the Superman might be generic despite the New52 costume (Early interviews suggested that he could be, and he was written fairly down the middle early, though a scene with Wonder Woman is open to interpretation), but the ending explicitly ties it into canon and explicitly makes him the New52 Superman. I also remember the infinity stones and the people studying them reappeared in at least one Rebirth Justice League (Regular, not "of America") story, which suggests that the gist of it survived at least the initial continuity changes.
    I was talking about a story that came out before new 52. As for the new 52 rao, from what I remember it was something quite rare, I think it was not the real rao, but a Kryptonian who lived thousands of years, and when he went to earth he attacked different kingdoms including Olympus.

BANNED

Cuz magic being a weakness is dumb when superman already breaks the laws of physics. According to dc, magic should exist in everything, including the nost scienctifc based superpowers.

I'd be fine with "magic as a weakness" if it were treated as he just has no natural defense to it, in the same way all humans have a weakness to being burnt alive or lack of oxygen. Magic as an alternate Krpytonite or something Kryptonians specifically weak to needs to be gotten rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I'd be fine with "magic as a weakness" if it were treated as he just has no natural defense to it, in the same way all humans have a weakness to being burnt alive or lack of oxygen. Magic as an alternate Krpytonite or something Kryptonians specifically weak to needs to be gotten rid of.
    Unfortunately if the solicity is to be trusted, Bendis will go hard on Superman "weakness" against magic, if we consider that Bendis, Rucka and Fraction talk about their stories in the Superman line, the way that Rucka said in the Lois Lane series that Superman is "useless" against magic make me think that the next Superman arc will not make me happy.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

What's the difference functionally, between being weak against magic and not having any natural defense against it in a story situation?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

This. Magic is his equalizer. Green K poisons him. Red sunlight drains him. Magic humbles him. Each are different.

Having something as metaphysical as magic be a weakness to an entire race is beyond stupid, but he doesn't even need to be specifically weak to him. I'm hoping Bendis put the work in to research and portray that well. Between those three vulnerabilities, Clark has plenty of ways to harm him outside of cosmic level threats. I'm going to groan if it's like someone gets to roll a 20 on Clark because they can hustle rubes at some card tricks.

What's the difference functionally, between being weak against magic and not having any natural defense against it in a story situation?
    In his own solo adventures? Probably not much. It's when it comes up in stuff like Justice League stories and Superman usually gets singled out for being weak to magic is when it annoys me.