Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Which versions of DC Characters do you like better as other versions?

Hello,
    I would like to ask who do you like better in a different version (TV Show,Anime,Pre-Flashpoint,NEW52,Rebirth etc. etc. etc.)

Mine are:

Supergirl:
    I prefer her Pre-Flashpoint.
    She looked better, was very pretty.
    I loved the friendship with Cassie,her training with the Amazons etc. etc.

Cassie Sandsmark:
    I prefer her Pre-Flashpoint origin and attitude.
    I liked her there better because of her being DAUGHTER of zeus and her having the lasso of lightning.

Conner Kent:
    I LOVE the Johns Conner Kent version.
    He had great feats,I liked his look and his attitude.

Cat Grant
    I prefer the Pre-Flashpoint version of her.

Arsenal
    His Rebirth Version was a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT for me.
    I prefer the Arsenal with the daughter who also had a very cool attitude.

Young Justice/Teen Titans:
    Young Justice in Pre-Flashpoint had great storylines, many great supporting characters like Traya and a great Team with Empress,Secret etc.

Astonishing Member

I started reading DC characters either on Earth-One Pre-Crisis or when they were created Post-Crisis. So by default a lot of my favorites are Pre-Crisis.

I prefer the Batman who actually wasn't emotionally damaged beyond repair. The Bronze Age guy who had more trust than paranoia towards his JLA teammates. The guy who didn't have the perfect defense in his utility belt unless he had a logical reason to (no Bat-Shark Repellent for the .001% chance a shark would pop-up during a battle in mid-town Gotham, no "I never leave the cave without my Green-K ring"). A Batman who might have planned a JLA assault on Darkseid but would have been Hunger Dog food if he went toe-to-toe with ol' Stoneface.

I prefer Clark as Superboy (not Conner or Jon), but the Clone-of-Steel was better before he got Lex as a donor and Kryptonian powers. I prefer his powers to look like Superman's but operate entirely differently (tactile TK field rather than super-tough skin, psionic strength not sun-charged muscle tissue ...) And while he answers to Conner or Kon-El he is independent of Superman in Hawaii or with Young Justice rather than under the Kents in Smallvile or the League as part of the Teen Titans.

And i swear there was a Cat Grant who wasn't a b*tch. Someone who was maybe not on the same level of skill as Lois, but was an actual reporter as opposed to a sex-kitten (Lois & Clark TV show), ball-busting media goddess (Supergirl TV show) or some combination of both (Pre-Flashpoint and recent Supergirl comics).

And i miss the Pre-Crisis Barry Allen whose adventures involved super-speed but did not revolve around it. No Speed-Force. Had a normal happy childhood. No Speed Force. Had a happy marriage. No Speed Force. Often defeated his Rogues using real-world science. Did i mention how his adventures didn't revolve around the Speed Force and other speedsters.

I like Young Justice animated versions of Artemis Crock and Jade Nguyen the best.

I also preferred Perez's version of Steve Trevor.

Incredible Member

I love the 1991 cartoon Swamp Thing (don't get me wrong, the comics are awesome too).

Partly it's nostalgia (the cartoon was my introduction to the character after all) but I also like that the cartoon version, while powerful, has more vulnerabilities and weaknesses, and isn't the god-like entity he is in the comics. I've never liked the whole "Invincible Hero" trope.

Same for Abby Arcane (again don't get me wrong, comic Abby is an angel and I adore her), but I love how in the cartoon Abby is never a damsel. She never needed to be saved throughout the series (in fact she saved Swamp Thing's life in episode 4) and was often vital in stopping Arcane by providing crucial information.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 06-26-2020 at 05:35 AM.

Astonishing Member

I liked Martian Manhunter as a creation of the White Martians.

The other Green Martians never existed and all his memories are false.

I thought that was a fresh take on the character.

My Top 3 (DC Comics)

1. Mary Marvel
    (Pre-Final Crisis)

2. Arsenal: Roy Harper
    (Pre-Flashpoint)

3. Firestorm
    (Raymond/Stein combo)

My Top 3 (DCAU/WB-TV)

1. Riddler
    (BTAS version)

2. Poison Ivy
    (BTAS version)

3. Mr. Freeze
    (BTAS version)

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-26-2020 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Astonishing Member

Green Arrow - I vastly prefer the Arrow version played by Stephen Amell to the comic-book versions (with the exception of the GA/BC romance, which I definitely prefer to Olicity). I think he was a far more complex character than most of the comic-book Green Arrows, and while the Batman similarities were front and center, I actually felt he was a more flawed and vulnerable take on the Batman concept.

On a related note, I definitely prefer the show's Roy Harper to the comic-book version. As great a story as "Snowbirds Don't Fly" was, it has rather positioned Roy as the Robin knock-off who's a recovered drug addict (alcoholic in the New 52). I found the struggles of the TV Roy played by Colton Haynes to be a lot more compelling - a young man driven by poverty and circumstances into a life of crime, who's inspired by the Arrow to turn a new leaf both in his personal life and in terms of becoming a hero to the city. The show had its own take on the 'addiction' storyline with Mirakuru and the emotional fallout of that was really one of the more heartwrenching storylines of the series.

I think the DCAU Justice League remains my gold standard for any Justice League lineup. And certainly, the Shayera Hol Hawkgirl from the show is my all-time favorite 'Hawk' character (and I'm saying this as someone who loves Venditti's recent work on Hawkman). Ditto for the DCAU Wally West Flash.

I also prefer a lot of other media and 'alternate' takes on Superman to whatever is the current mainstream version. American Alien was a definite favorite for me. The MOS movie. Grant Morrison's New 52 run.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My favorite versions of Superman are all in other media outside of comics. My favorite across the board is the Ruby Spears Superman. Smallville had better stories than the mainstream Superman books. Particularly the Season 11 comics. The Donner movies, obviously being the basis for the others.

BTAS was the best adaptation of Batman ever and probably always will be. Followed by the Nolan movies.

Gal Godot IS Wonder Woman.

Stephen Amell IS Green Arrow.
    Assassinate Putin!

I usually go with the main versions of the characters. But...

The Krypton TV show version of Brainiac was the best, imo.

Current Hawkman is a favorite too, on that note...

If this list was about the worst versions of characters, it would be very difficult to find someone who could top DCAU Hawkman as the worst character of all, even considering the Injustice universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I like Young Justice animated versions of Artemis Crock and Jade Nguyen the best.

I also preferred Perez's version of Steve Trevor.
    That's not surprising. YJ Artemis simply has more appearances than the comic version, to the point that when her VA was hired, she'd assumed from the character description that she was Arrowette from the YJ comics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Going off adaptations

DCEU Steve Trevor

GL:TAS Guy Gardner

S:TAS Metallo and Toyman

Brave and the Bold Aquaman

Terrance Stamp's Zod

Adam West's Batman.
    Last edited by Gaius; 06-27-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Astonishing Member

Oh boy, there are a lot actually.

There's the TV version of Vibe, for example. The original version was a broad stereotype and kind of a joke. The later one was too bland and didn't have enough personality. The one on The Flash played by Carlos Valdes hit the sweet spot (well, at least for a few seasons).

My favorite versions of Hawkman and Hawkgirl are the Silver Age versions. And it seems to me that they're not among the more popular versions. When people bring up their favorite Hawkman, it's usually the revamped Golden Age one from JSA with his endless supply of past lives. Or it's the super-gritty Hawkworld version with its depiction of a corrupt alien society. But the Hawks who are police officers from a borderline utopia where the only criminals are thrill-seekers, who talk to birds and chose to stay on Earth aren't really high on many lists. But I like all the quirky little bits of them. At least people probably like them better than the Hawk-avatar version.

Favorite Flash: probably Silver Age Barry Allen. The true everyman of the era. Not because he "had problems" like Spider-Man but because of what problems he didn't have. He wasn't an orphan, wasn't royalty, wasn't a billionaire, wasn't an alien, wasn't a mythological figure. He was just a regular guy with powers who wanted to help.

My favorite Aquaman is probably the one from Batman: The Brave and the Bold, who's part Hercules, part bombastic, boastful sailor. I do also like the early Silver Age version too, though. From when he was the protector of the seas but not king of Atlantis yet. I'd rather Aquaman were out adventuring and helping seafarers than sitting on a throne.

Favorite Green Lantern: Kyle Rayner. I know he didn't have the best villains or supporting cast (unless you like heroes who only hang around other heroes) back when he was the main guy. But I still just love how the ring was recontextualized as a tool of creation rather than a weapon of destruction. A cosmic paintbrush, so to speak.

Bruce Wayne - up until late Bronze age. He was intelligent and a good fighter, but not a supergenius who was great at everything and made the rest of the JL superfluous. A good father. A good friend. Had some jerkish times, no doubt, but overall a good person. There was still a Bruce and not just Brucie.

Cassie Sandsmark - early version. I like before Zeus was her dad, when she pursued the powers she wanted and became a superhero that way, because she was impressive, rather than because he was her dad. Definitely prior to Teen Titans days.

Kon-EL - Prior to Conner Kent, him being a mix of Lunthor and Clark. Back when he was in Hawaii and TTK was his only power. He was so much more distinctive then.

Green Arrow and Black Canary - the 1970s. When she was a widow, and he'd been revamped as the political liberal and made a bit more standout. They weren't always written greatly, but sometimes they were, and that was my favorite era. Before she was split into two character and he was made into a cheating jerk (I feel like he and Bruce just became such made people to their loved ones in post-COIE).

Hawkman and Hawkwoman - Silver and Bronze ages all the way.

Flash - Barry Allen, silver age, for much the reasons AdamFTF gave. He's pretty much the only character with his own title I read through the silver age issues - much better than Superman or Batman of the era. He's my Flash. A good person who grew up reading comics and, when he was given powers, went out to be a hero. Not even because "heroes are so cool" but because he cared and wanted to help. Though he had some fun, too. Which is good - miss heroes enjoying what they do.

Steve Trevor - Movie version, followed by Golden Age version. Good, intelligent, capable - a hero in his own right. And not threatened by Diana having abilities and capabilities that he does not. I hate that so many people want to diminish him, make him less heroic, less active, or have fewer of the traditional sexually attractive/masculine traits (and some points explicitly stating they want him more feminine). I hate that that happens with strong female heroes - they much either be surpassed/dominated by their male love interests or their male love interest must lack traditional masculine traits and be weaker than other men and so forth.

Tim Drake and Stephanie Brown - 90s versions. Before she got chirpy and wisecracky and when she was an independent and he wasn't mired in angst and then behaving like Bruce in his more jerkish days.

Dick Grayson - First half of '80s or second half of '90s. When he was mature, capable, intelligent, a fantastic detective. And yes, he was also faithful and explicitly a sex-in-serious-relationships person. But mostly for how much more mature and capable he was then. Other character respected him. He was leader when on Titans. Later you go "he isn't a thinker" and that he acts without thinking. Fights or kisses as his only interaction with non-family and is all emotion and no brainpower or impulse control. Big cuddle bug and no strategy or detective work or whatnot. I feel he was much diminished. And that's even before Ric.

Roy Harper - Daddy!Roy is my favorite. I didn't much care for him in the older stuff I've read. And then they killed his kid and then rebooted the universe so she didn't exist.

Jaime Reyes - First 25 issues of his 2006 series.

Ted Kord - 1986 Blue Beetle version. I'm not in to the JLI stuff very much. There some I like, but too often, it's not funny to me. The characters act like morons and are the butts of jokes and way less intelligent that prior appearances. And don't get me started on my loathing the (much later) depiction of Sue and Ralph.

Sue and Ralph Dibny - Silver age. When he was definitely an attention-seeker, but also handsome, charming, and a very capable detective. Instead of a below-average doofus that Sue treats with disdain.

I like Aquaman and Mera in some of the more recent (mostly 2 or 3 years ago) stuff I've read.

Garfield Logan. Pre-Crisis, when he was growing and become more mature and before I knew he'd be forced to not grow up.

Raven - the early days, actually, before the "removed from emotion" aspect came into play. I mean, I still like her after, don't get me wrong. But I like the earlier setup better.

Cat Grant - early post-COIE. Later, she becomes a caricature, at least at times. Even in Rebirth, where she's got her own successful business - there are jokes and some of them are funny, but they come at the expense of treating her seriously as a character/professional.

Jimmy Olsen - radio show version. Copy boy who grows into a cub reporter. Intelligent, a capable reporter in the end. Got rescued a lot by Superman early on. But not the universe's buttmonkey, and he very much had a role in a world without silver-age zaniness. Since I like seeing Jimmy, but don't care for the that sort of aspect of the silver age, it was nice for me. Also quite good in the bronze age, though I think Mr. Action was taking it too far, and he shouldn't be that.

Kate Kane - I liked the very early stuff before her father and twin were introduced (stuff with Renee, etc.). I really didn't like setup after it changed. I hated her father in the role he was in. And I didn't like how the stepmother was in a "bad" (about Kate's tux, and the friends being snotty), and I really hate evil twins (yeah, brainwashed, but still). And I really have read extremely little of her since, so beyond the very early 'Tec with her (if I'm remembering correctly, and I may not be), I can't say much. I just like the first era better than the second, and can't say anything about subsequent ones. I do prefer her not as Bruce's cousin.

There are some others I've forgotten, no doubt, when I have specific version I like, and still others I like, but sort of form an amalgam of for my ideal.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 06-27-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Superman: Silver/Bronze age, All-Star and Morrison's New 52 Action

Batman: Bronze Age and BTAS (original series), and I have a soft spot for Adam West's

Wonder Woman: Golden Age, Rucka and Gal Gadot

Robin: Bronze Age Dick Grayson (extends to early Nightwing), BTAS

Batgirl: Bronze Age Barbara Gordon, BTAS

Lois Lane: STAS

Jimmy Olsen: All-Star

Supergirl: Silver/Bronze age

Lex Luthor: Bronze age, All-Star

Batman's villains: for pretty much all the major ones, BTAS are the true versions (especially Joker and Harley). But I also love Burton's Catwoman

the Cheetah: Rucka's Rebirth of Barbara Minerva, Alex Ross's take on Priscilla Rich

Steve Trevor: Chris Pine

Etta Candy: Morrison's Earth One, Golden Age

Donna Troy: pre-COIE New Teen Titans

Green Lantern: Morrison's current work with Hal

Aquaman: Jason Momoa

Cyborg, Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy, Terra: both NTT and animated (though for Terra I lean more heavily towards animated)