Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    1. It's not about durability, it's about pain in disorientation. The whistling doesn't even do any permanent harm, since Supes is back in the air with no problems later on.

2. This is not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of you not wanting to put in the work of providing a counter argument. Your position is predicated on the assumption that the Flash is operating at his normal capacity. My position is to point out that there is zero reason to make that assumption because of the context of the situation.

We know the layout of the area, because there are several establishing shots of the area. We know that Ivy does not have full mastery of her thralls powers, and from that we can extrapolate that the Flashes due not have access to their more esoteric tricks, like phasing.

Based on the locations where the Flashes are laying, we can determine what direction the Flashes were coming from. We can tell for a fact that Barry could not have traveled in a completely straight line, because in this establishing shot, there's a fence in the way in the direction he came from. The too Wally's are less clear cut, but it's possible that they had to run around a tree and the batmobile from the directions they came from.

Since they are being controlled by Poison Ivy, and they're not moving in straight lines, they must therefore be moving at speeds that Ivy is capable of reacting at. Which in turn means that it makes perfect sense for Catwoman to be capable of reacting to the Flashes.

Not to mention that in context, this barely counts as a victory. Catwoman beats three extremely nerfed speedsters, Batman uses a trick that explicitly would not work against regular Superman, and then they get captured off screen. The fight ends with them losing, and it's treated as such a foregone conclusion that we don't even see it.
    You are assuming that Ivy controls each and every action of her mind controlled victims. That's not how her powers have ever worked.

She gives an instruction and the mind controlled people go off to accomplish it under their own power. It's not like she is piloting them like a mech or driving them like a car. Her own reaction times dont factor in here and quite frankly never have. It's not even telepathy she controls them with. Unless this instance is somehow different? I admit I haven't read it.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    You are assuming that Ivy controls each and every action of her mind controlled victims. That's not how her powers have ever worked.

She gives an instruction and the mind controlled people go off to accomplish it under their own power. It's not like she is piloting them like a mech or driving them like a car. Her own reaction times dont factor in here and quite frankly never have. It's not even telepathy she controls them with. Unless this instance is somehow different? I admit I haven't read it.
    As I understand it, Ivy's powers have been changed, I think via a connection to the green? Not sure, I only read that issue to get context for the fight scene.

Anyway, the scene immediately preceding the Flash bit establishes that in this instance Ivy is controlling them more thoroughly than normal, as Superman doesn't have the agency to react as he normally would when hearing a loud noise.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

If I can undercut the current somewhat ridiculous argument of "Is this scene the dumbest or not," for a moment.

Regardless of feelings on the sequence itself, if there is an in-universe context or reason to explain some of the stupid stuff then, by definition, that isn't as dumb as other stuff that has been mentioned or shown here were ridiculous things happen for no reason. I refer you to Cable shrinking Galactus with Pym Particles and shooting him into space like an unwanted rodent illustrated on page one of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    If I can undercut the current somewhat ridiculous argument of "Is this scene the dumbest or not," for a moment.

Regardless of feelings on the sequence itself, if there is an in-universe context or reason to explain some of the stupid stuff then, by definition, that isn't as dumb as other stuff that has been mentioned or shown here were ridiculous things happen for no reason. I refer you to Cable shrinking Galactus with Pym Particles and shooting him into space like an unwanted rodent illustrated on page one of this thread.
    I fear your rodent control measures might be deemed somewhat excessive in certain quarters, sir.

“Look up there, Mum! What’s that? Is it a hamsteroid?!”
    “No, son. It’s just a rattelite.”

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I fear your rodent control measures might be deemed somewhat excessive in certain quarters, sir.

“Look up there, Mum! What’s that? Is it a hamsteroid?!”
    “No, son. It’s just a rattelite.”
    Rats in London need extreme measures.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Rats in London need extreme measures.
    Ah, is that what they mean by ‘capital punishment’?

Ah, is that what they mean by ‘capital punishment’?
    Hahaha, very good.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I am familiar with the explanations and I still think that the entire scene is immensely dumb. I could buy super sensation earn being a weakness on a person with normal durability and normal everything else. Not against a guy that can fly through the vaccum of space and tank nukes to the face.
    Superman's Invulnerability are also Required Secondary Power for his Super Hearing(to prevents his eardrums from pops away) and the rest of his super senses(to prevents Sensory overloads)
    Last edited by Masonicon; 06-28-2020 at 05:42 PM.
    whatever Scientists tells us what they believes are the only things that exists in Reality(our world), they treats what US government and mainstream news media said about things like 9/11, CO2 Emissions, and so on as their gospel

https://lnk.bio/Masonicon

calling Real Life Martial Artists that can break walls "Comic Book Peak Human" is like calling Pre-new52!Cassandra Cain "Shounen Manga character"

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Tim Drake VS Pod Cassie.
    I keep seeing stuff that's worthy of a win. I'm just going to toss this one out again with the greater detail that Tim was already pretty badly beaten up and tired, and Pod Cassie was supposedly perfectly fresh.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Incredible Member

To be honest, that’s most hero vs hero or team vs team fights ever.
    It depends. Take for example the Autobots vs. the Avengers. Optimus did talk to them but it didn't do any good as the Avengers weren't in their right minds (they were being affected by a device that made them super-aggressive).

Another example, Captain America vs. Iron Fist. Cap didn't know who IF was, thought that he was a Kung Fu killer and that he'd just killed Jarvis (he walked in on Danny standing over Jarvis's prone body). Given the circumstances I think we can forgive Cap not listening to reason there.

By contrast let's look at DC vs. Masters of the Universe. A bunch of DC guys led by Steve Trevor meet a team of Heroic Warriors led by Man-At-Arms. Duncan says they're looking for He-Man and Steve orders a completely unprovoked attack. Granted, the DC heroes were upset as they thought He-Man had killed Superman (except of course for Batman because Heaven forbid that anyone else in the DCU ever be allowed to be smart except him), but Duncan and co weren't doing anything remotely hostile or suspicious and Duncan's question (delivered in a very civil, polite manner) clearly showed they were not party to He-Man's supposed crime.

My point is if you want to write a good "hero vs hero" story either

A) Have at least one side be not in right mind, under a malign influence and such,

or

B) Provide circumstances that make it understandable why one side wouldn't listen to reason.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 06-29-2020 at 09:44 AM. Reason: fixing mistake

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    B) Provide circumstances that make it understandable why one side wouldn't listen to reason.
    For all the problems that people may have with Dragonball Super, one can't really argue that the Tournament of Power didn't give a good reason for a bunch of largely heroic characters to be fighting to functionally destroy one another's universes.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 02-03-2021 at 11:53 PM.