Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Stupidest fights in comics

For me, this is the stupidest fight scene in comics. What's yours?

And yes, that's 616 Galactus.

The Recipe for Disaster Blackid's Avatar

Hilarious? yes. Stupid? I don't know....
    The Recipe for Disaster asks for Blasphemy, but as for me, ask for me, I give it gravity.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I mean, we have a whole board principle named after Spider-Man versus Firelord.

I think Cable blasting Galactus in space after shrinking him down is stupider than Spider-Man beating Firelord.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    I think Cable blasting Galactus in space after shrinking him down is stupider than Spider-Man beating Firelord.
    I've not read the comic but, judging purely from Galactus' emaciated face, it looks like he might have been power drained.

If that's the case there's at least an in-universe reason that makes sense if you squint at it.

Spider-Man beat down Firelord just because he tried real hard.

No, he was just shrank. That's the art style.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I mean, we have a whole board principle named after Spider-Man versus Firelord.
    That one was the first, I guess. But it has gained equals throughout the years.
    Power with Girl is better.

Hey, remember Hulk vs that snake.

Also, [obligatory post where Nik complains about Erza versus Ikaruga from Fairy Tail for the hundredth time]

Also, [obligatory post where Nik complains about Erza versus Ikaruga from Fairy Tail for the hundredth time]

I'll probably hate opening this can of worms, but what issue do you have with that fight?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post

I'll probably hate opening this can of worms, but what issue do you have with that fight?
    The typical “ sho en rules state I win due to my cause being friends” clause I believe. Full agreement with that.

In my eyes a win is truly earned depending on context.

Not comics but this really needs to be seen to believed.

https://youtu.be/gFopVNP-_aM

Civil War, Civil War 2, A vs X, I vs X and Injustice tie together for me as far as fight events go.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post

Honestly, given how Fairy Tail went on to establish that Erza's hakama outfit was her most powerful form and had a remarkably consistent feature of completely ridiculous "friendship powerups" it's way less egregious now than it was at the time.

But, to recap it in brief.

Erza is a magical swordsman who enhances her abilities by magically summoning and equipping suits of armour. She ends up fighting Ikaruga, another swordsman.

From the outset, Ikaruga is presented as being better than Erza. Not just slightly better, massively better. From cutting through dimensions, to one-shotting every outfit Erza pulls out, including her apparently "most powerful" armour. It's an utter stomp.

Completely devoid of options. Erza switches to her hakama outfit and it is specifically stated that this outfit has no magical properties and the gulf between Ikaruga and Erza is exactly the same.

Erza then one shots Ikaruga instantly.

At the time, there was zero explanation for this. Erza just did it, Ikaruga lost and it made no sense.

I think what bugged me the most is there wasn't even the slightest explanation for how it happened or any attempt to justify it. The story just went "Well, Erza needs to win this now, so she does," It felt incredibly lazy and was super clunky.

Unfortunately, Fairy Tail as a series went on to do this sort of thing a lot which is one of the reasons why I never finished it.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 06-26-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Honestly, given how Fairy Tail went on to establish that Erza's hakama outfit was her most powerful form and had a remarkably consistent feature of completely ridiculous "friendship powerups" it's way less egregious now than it was at the time.

But, to recap it in brief.

Erza is a magical swordsman who enhances her abilities by magically summoning and equipping suits of armour. She ends up fighting Ikaruga, another swordsman.

From the outset, Ikaruga is presented as being better than Erza. Not just slightly better, massively better. From cutting through dimensions, to one-shotting every outfit Erza pulls out, including her apparently "most powerful" armour. It's an utter stomp.

Completely devoid of options. Erza switches to her hakama outfit and it is specifically stated that this outfit has no magical properties and the gulf between Ikaruga and Erza is exactly the same.

Erza then one shots Ikaruga instantly.

At the time, there was zero explanation for this. Erza just did it, Ikaruga lost and it made no sense.

I think what bugged me the most is there wasn't even the slightest explanation for how it happened or any attempt to justify it. The story just went "Well, Erza needs to win this now, so she does," It felt incredibly lazy and was super clunky.

Unfortunately, Fairy Tail as a series went on to do this sort of thing a lot which is one of the reasons why I never finished it.
    Reminds me of when I decided to drop Fairy Tail, which was during the Tenrou Island arc. Particularly when Natsu nullifying his own Magic suddenly allowed him to eat Zancrow's more powerful Fire God Slayer Magic, which Natsu was shown being completely unable to eat.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis