Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Squirrel Girl curbstomping Doctor Manhattan
    whatever Scientists tells us what they believes are the only things that exists in Reality(our world), they treats what US government and mainstream news media said about things like 9/11, CO2 Emissions, and so on as their gospel

https://lnk.bio/Masonicon

calling Real Life Martial Artists that can break walls "Comic Book Peak Human" is like calling Pre-new52!Cassandra Cain "Shounen Manga character"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masonicon View Post
    Squirrel Girl curbstomping Doctor Manhattan
    I do believe this thread is about fights that have actually happened in official comics/tv series.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchGemini View Post
    Let's not forget Batman vs an early version of the JLA, involving Bruce using gas against the Flash, and Bat-kicking the air out of Wonder Woman's lungs, among other things.

Click here for some stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchGemini View Post
    and Bat-kicking the air out of Wonder Woman's lungs, among other things.
    I remember he pulled the same trick on the Hulk once.

It was stupid then too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Also, [obligatory post where Nik complains about Erza versus Ikaruga from Fairy Tail for the hundredth time]

I'll probably hate opening this can of worms, but what issue do you have with that fight?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post

I'll probably hate opening this can of worms, but what issue do you have with that fight?
    The typical “ sho en rules state I win due to my cause being friends” clause I believe. Full agreement with that.

In my eyes a win is truly earned depending on context.

Not comics but this really needs to be seen to believed.

https://youtu.be/gFopVNP-_aM

Civil War, Civil War 2, A vs X, I vs X and Injustice tie together for me as far as fight events go.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

I mean, we have a whole board principle named after Spider-Man versus Firelord.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Deathstroke vs the JLA is the stupidest fight scene that I have seen in comics.
    ^^^^
    These are the two that come to my mind for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Not comics but this really needs to be seen to believed.

https://youtu.be/gFopVNP-_aM
    I mean.....lol.

Wow. Yeah.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post

Honestly, given how Fairy Tail went on to establish that Erza's hakama outfit was her most powerful form and had a remarkably consistent feature of completely ridiculous "friendship powerups" it's way less egregious now than it was at the time.

But, to recap it in brief.

Erza is a magical swordsman who enhances her abilities by magically summoning and equipping suits of armour. She ends up fighting Ikaruga, another swordsman.

From the outset, Ikaruga is presented as being better than Erza. Not just slightly better, massively better. From cutting through dimensions, to one-shotting every outfit Erza pulls out, including her apparently "most powerful" armour. It's an utter stomp.

Completely devoid of options. Erza switches to her hakama outfit and it is specifically stated that this outfit has no magical properties and the gulf between Ikaruga and Erza is exactly the same.

Erza then one shots Ikaruga instantly.

At the time, there was zero explanation for this. Erza just did it, Ikaruga lost and it made no sense.

I think what bugged me the most is there wasn't even the slightest explanation for how it happened or any attempt to justify it. The story just went "Well, Erza needs to win this now, so she does," It felt incredibly lazy and was super clunky.

Unfortunately, Fairy Tail as a series went on to do this sort of thing a lot which is one of the reasons why I never finished it.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 06-26-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Agreed.

I've read the comic with the Spider-man vs Firelord fight and it's really not that bad. The entire "fight" is basically Spidey running away (he lands a swing kick at the start which knocks Firelord off-balance but that's only because he was caught by surprise).

After Firelord gets caught in a huge explosion Spidey fears he's dead and runs up to check on him. He gets up, Spidey panics, starts leaping around like a lunatic and whaling on him in sheer desperation. Classic case of pulling off a normally impossible feat through the will to survive. Plus Spidey was hitting him repeatedly. Even in real-life it's possible to knock out an opponent with lots of lighter blows, it doesn't always have to be one huge haymaker.
    The problem here is that Spider-man's best haymaker shouldn't register to Firelord, it's like an ant punching an elephant. Firelord shouldn't even feel it.

Incidentally it is true that a hit to the solar plexus doesn't need to be that hard. I know from personal experience that even a playful thump can make the air blast out of your lungs if it happens to hit at just the right time and place, but there's still a threshold of force that needs to be reached. It won't happen if a gnat flies into you for example. Batman's blows would be the equivalent of that gnat.
    Same thing here, unless Batman has Superman level super strength all his fist is going to do is bounce off her. Exceptions being Wonder Woman when she hasn't got powers.

Honestly, given how Fairy Tail went on to establish that Erza's hakama outfit was her most powerful form and had a remarkably consistent feature of completely ridiculous "friendship powerups" it's way less egregious now than it was at the time.

But, to recap it in brief.

Erza is a magical swordsman who enhances her abilities by magically summoning and equipping suits of armour. She ends up fighting Ikaruga, another swordsman.

From the outset, Ikaruga is presented as being better than Erza. Not just slightly better, massively better. From cutting through dimensions, to one-shotting every outfit Erza pulls out, including her apparently "most powerful" armour. It's an utter stomp.

Completely devoid of options. Erza switches to her hakama outfit and it is specifically stated that this outfit has no magical properties and the gulf between Ikaruga and Erza is exactly the same.

Erza then one shots Ikaruga instantly.

At the time, there was zero explanation for this. Erza just did it, Ikaruga lost and it made no sense.

I think what bugged me the most is there wasn't even the slightest explanation for how it happened or any attempt to justify it. The story just went "Well, Erza needs to win this now, so she does," It felt incredibly lazy and was super clunky.

Unfortunately, Fairy Tail as a series went on to do this sort of thing a lot which is one of the reasons why I never finished it.
    Reminds me of when I decided to drop Fairy Tail, which was during the Tenrou Island arc. Particularly when Natsu nullifying his own Magic suddenly allowed him to eat Zancrow's more powerful Fire God Slayer Magic, which Natsu was shown being completely unable to eat.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Ultimate Member

Stupidest fights:

Justice League getting picked apart by Deathstroke.

Most stuff featuring Harley Quinn recently.

Hulk getting choked out by a snake.

Most of Flash’s fights (seriously, the guy still gets shot by guys carrying laser guns).

Eric Masterson Thor being blitzed by Spider-man and being nearly knocked out by said blitz (the blitz isn’t the problem, it’s him getting nearly knocked out by it).

Venom beating up Juggernaut (if there’s an explanation for this one, I’d love to hear/read it).

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    ^^^^
    These are the two that come to my mind for me as well.

I mean.....lol.

Wow. Yeah.
    Having seen it I feel compelled to post it whenever possible.

It haunts me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'm flashing back to the final battle of Crisis on Infinite Earths -- the Arrowverse version. Not only are the Dementors so completely non-threatening that street levelers were holding the line, but the Anti-Monitor -- who punked essentially Kingdom Come/Pre-Crisis/Donner Superman and has all these literally multiversal feats -- was essentially defeated the same way as in OP's example.

Edit: I know the thread title says "in comics." I still need to vent about this fight, though.
    This was because he was weakened from his fight with Spectre Oliver, kinda like what happened in the original. It wasn't stated as the reason, but considering its based off the original event I thought it was a given.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral