Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I'm surprised no one mentioned the entirety of the Avengers vs X-men storyline. An entire war that could have been avoided, if they had just talked...
    To be honest, that’s most hero vs hero or team vs team fights ever.

Admittedly that one was more egregiously dumb than most, but still.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Yes, it does actually make a world of difference. Because the fact that he is a meat puppet and not his normal self means that he's not going at default speed, he's going at speed's that the person mind controlling him can comprehend.

And the scene specifies that this only works because the person mind controlling Superman does not know how to control Superman's super senses.

And again, ignoring huge amounts of context here. Namely the fact that Moon Knight had half a dozen power ups going into that fight.
    Context doesn't make any of them less dumb.

YMMV I guess
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 06-27-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Catwoman VS. Prometheus would be a personal favorite:

I personally really like that one.

It's Prometheus first attempt at super villainy so he's a bit green. But he's got numerous plans and back up plans for taking down the Justice League (most do not involve him taking them on head on except for Batman because Batman has no powers).

But things start coming apart at the seams for his plans as he underestimated the heroes' ingenuity, a bit of good luck for the heroes and unexpected elements appearance to much up his plans.

One of these elements is Catwoman whipping him in the balls. It's great! Also, when things go south for him he teleports away to his hideout in Limbo, but he forgot that he left Huntress there so she beats him up a bit too before he teleports her away.

It's just a great villain introduction story. Prometheus is established as dangerous and resourceful, but not invincible and seemingly all-knowing.

Since the X-Men have been brought up, I'm going to name/reiterate the JLA Vs. X-Men. Bishop has no business rocking J'onn like that in any capacity. Cannonball is nowhere near strong enough to choke any iteration of Aquaman. And while Iceman vs. Green Lantern sounds like a somewhat decent fight, it wasn't nearly close to spectacular as it could've been.[/i]

Not to be so self servingly biased, but the only fight that made sense was Cyclops vs. Batman. And I'll hear nothing more against it. THIS I DECREE.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Catwoman VS. Prometheus would be a personal favorite:

Stupidest... or best?

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    This was because he was weakened from his fight with Spectre Oliver, kinda like what happened in the original. It wasn't stated as the reason, but considering its based off the original event I thought it was a given.
    That would be supposition, and thus non-canon -- nothing else indicates any kind of depowerment other than undoing AM's work, and the immediate threat was that AM was getting ready to resume his work to make up for that. But even then, that doesn't explain the Dementors being weak enough for street-levelers even at the height of the Anti-Monitor's power and throughout the crossover.
    Last edited by Cyke; 06-27-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Tim Drake VS Pod Cassie.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Spawn vs Batman, written by Frank Miller. Spawn, who was not only at Spiderman's level of strength and speed at the time, is as well trained as Batman is and has a plethora of magic in his arsenal, is routinely getting his ass kicked by Batman throughout the comic. Hell, the narration states his symbiotic costume was apparently handicapping him because it registered Bruce was an innocent (because the Hellspawned symbiote gives a rat's ass about the moralistic predilection of its opponents, despite multiple examples in the comics to the contrary). And any scene where Spawn retaliates in kind is conveniently blacked out and reduced to text sound effects.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Tim Drake VS Pod Cassie.
    Heh. Even the writer, who loathed classic! Cass, knew he had to nerf her considerably otherwise she'd have killed him in an eye blink.

There's a weird example in Contest of Champion II. Early in the series, we're shown X-Force beating Ironman in a fight.

Whether you agree with it or not, it kinda makes sense. Later in the series, we see that Black Widow has taken down X-Force by herself. Off panel.

Honestly, there's a lot of the fights in that series that seem odd.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Context doesn't make any of them less dumb.

YMMV I guess
    YMMV on the Moon Knight thing, however with the other two the context removes every reason to think of them as stupid.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    There's a weird example in Contest of Champion II. Early in the series, we're shown X-Force beating Ironman in a fight.

Whether you agree with it or not, it kinda makes sense. Later in the series, we see that Black Widow has taken down X-Force by herself. Off panel.

Honestly, there's a lot of the fights in that series that seem odd.
    Black Widow's really good but I don't buy she's that good.

Extraordinary Member

YMMV on the Moon Knight thing, however with the other two the context removes every reason to think of them as stupid.
    Not really. For one thing, people here think that they're stupid so that alone clearly makes it YMMV thing.

If the controlled Flashes were trying to do something complex with their powers then I could buy the brainwashing screwing with those actions. But they're just asked to runover Batman and Catwoman at super speeds. With the speed any of those speedsters can achieve, even a fraction of their top speed should make it impossible for Catwoman to tag one of them, much less all three when they're coming in from different directions, without sustaining any type of injury herself.

And I might buy the whistle bit if the person listening on Batman was a person whose only power is super hearing. But this is Superman, completely knocked out by a whistle that regular people can hear without discomfort if Catwoman's reaction is anything to go by. That's just dumb.

Astonishing Member

If the controlled Flashes were trying to do something complex with their powers then I could buy the brainwashing screwing with those actions. But they're just asked to runover Batman and Catwoman at super speeds. With the speed any of those speedsters can achieve, even a fraction of their top speed should make it impossible for Catwoman to tag one of them, much less all three when they're coming in from different directions, without sustaining any type of injury herself.
    Given how creative speedsters are them running at high speeds would be the last thing she can expect from them, since they can run up walls and create tornados, speed illusions/mirages and steal her speed and more. It's one thing to ambush Prometheus and get lucky he didn't bring a cup and stopping a veteran speedster.

Extraordinary Member

Not really. For one thing, people here think that they're stupid so that alone clearly makes it YMMV thing.

And I might buy the whistle bit if the person listening on Batman was a person whose only power is super hearing. But this is Superman, completely knocked out by a whistle that regular people can hear without discomfort if Catwoman's reaction is anything to go by. That's just dumb.
    Re: It's not as simple as it looks. Ivy is controlling six pairs of legs at once, and none of them can run in straight paths (since there are no straight paths in the direction that they come at Catwoman from). Combine that with the fact that Ivy's reaction times aren't greater that Catwoman's, and it becomes much more plausible

Re: Superman- Of course the whistle is going to hurt Superman more than it would a normal person. Super hearing would be more sensitive to it than normal hearing. And the reason regular Superman doesn't have this problem is covered in the comic itself. Here's the actual dialogue

Catwoman: Okay. I was wrong. You did it. Superman with a whistle.
    Batman: Not Superman. Clark knows when to listen and when not to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Given how creative speedsters are them running at high speeds would be the last thing she can expect from them, since they can run up walls and create tornados, speed illusions/mirages and steal her speed and more. It's one thing to ambush Prometheus and get lucky he didn't bring a cup and stopping a veteran speedster.
    She wasn't fighting actual veteran speedsters.

Extraordinary Member

Re: It's not as simple as it looks. Ivy is controlling six pairs of legs at once, and none of them can run in straight paths (since there are no straight paths in the direction that they come at Catwoman from). Combine that with the fact that Ivy's reaction times aren't greater that Catwoman's, and it becomes much more plausible

Re: Superman- Of course the whistle is going to hurt Superman more than it would a normal person. Super hearing would be more sensitive to it than normal hearing. And the reason regular Superman doesn't have this problem is covered in the comic itself. Here's the actual dialogue

Catwoman: Okay. I was wrong. You did it. Superman with a whistle.
    Batman: Not Superman. Clark knows when to listen and when not to listen.

She wasn't fighting actual veteran speedsters.
    I am familiar with the explanations and I still think that the entire scene is immensely dumb. I could buy super sensation earn being a weakness on a person with normal durability and normal everything else. Not against a guy that can fly through the vaccum of space and tank nukes to the face.

And I think we've reached the point where we'll just start repeating the same arguments back and forth. So shall we agree to disagree?

Extraordinary Member

I am familiar with the explanations and I still think that the entire scene is immensely dumb. I could buy super sensation earn being a weakness on a person with normal durability and normal everything else. Not against a guy that can fly through the vaccum of space and tank nukes to the face.

And I think we've reached the point where we'll just start repeating the same arguments back and forth. So shall we agree to disagree?
    1. It's not about durability, it's about pain in disorientation. The whistling doesn't even do any permanent harm, since Supes is back in the air with no problems later on.

2. This is not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of you not wanting to put in the work of providing a counter argument. Your position is predicated on the assumption that the Flash is operating at his normal capacity. My position is to point out that there is zero reason to make that assumption because of the context of the situation.

We know the layout of the area, because there are several establishing shots of the area. We know that Ivy does not have full mastery of her thralls powers, and from that we can extrapolate that the Flashes due not have access to their more esoteric tricks, like phasing.

Based on the locations where the Flashes are laying, we can determine what direction the Flashes were coming from. We can tell for a fact that Barry could not have traveled in a completely straight line, because in this establishing shot, there's a fence in the way in the direction he came from. The too Wally's are less clear cut, but it's possible that they had to run around a tree and the batmobile from the directions they came from.

Since they are being controlled by Poison Ivy, and they're not moving in straight lines, they must therefore be moving at speeds that Ivy is capable of reacting at. Which in turn means that it makes perfect sense for Catwoman to be capable of reacting to the Flashes.

Not to mention that in context, this barely counts as a victory. Catwoman beats three extremely nerfed speedsters, Batman uses a trick that explicitly would not work against regular Superman, and then they get captured off screen. The fight ends with them losing, and it's treated as such a foregone conclusion that we don't even see it.