Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Graduation day for Sidekicks

let's say the DC universe was progressing organically and time is passing for the heroes. What if the next generation are coming up and taking on their role in the wider world as their own superheros like the Nightwings, Tempests, Flashes and Arsenals before them, were would you see them?

we're focusing on young sidekick and sidekick-adjacent characters like;

Cassandra Cain
    Jackson Hyde
    Emiko Queen
    Wallace West
    Connor Kent
    Avery Ho
    Duke Thomas
    Tim Drake
    Stephanie Brown
    Keli Quintela
    Naomi McDuffie
    etc.

but specifically skipping Jon Kent and Damian Wayne because as progeny their paths are pretty predictably set to inherit their fathers' post one day.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-26-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Teen Lantern's name is Keli Quintela.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

As long as they avoid anything similar to that awful 'Graduation Day' event years ago, I'll be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Teen Lantern's name is Keli Quintela.
    noted and changed, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    As long as they avoid anything similar to that awful 'Graduation Day' event years ago, I'll be interested.
    either you guys got any ideas tho? what names or role would you like to see these young heroes in if they could come into their own one day?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

I got a few ideas for some of them

Teen Lantern- she is not an official green lantern, in fact her gauntlet is currently a mix of earth prime and earth 3 technology. My thought for her is that she doesn’t go to the lantern corps as they would likely take the gauntlet away, she goes to Alan Scott for training. Under his tutelage she will become a better hero outside the scope of the corps.

Wallace West-embraces his silver new 52 look and decides to embrace the place the person the universe created him to be a Flash. With this he decides to do something for his cousins that other speedsters have done in the past, he trains Iris West to be the next kid flash/impulse.

Duke Thomas- Decides that the best way to be something new was to use Batman’s tactics in the light, with his new found Shadow powers Duke can summon the darkness in the bright of day to put the fear of the bat into criminals.

Jackson Hyde- In a way he ends up following his fathers footsteps, seeing the danger that persists with N.E.M.O. who are controlled by Black Manta Jackson dethrones his father and decides to reform N.E.M.O. as a public entity to use it resources to the benefit of Atlantis and Aquaman. Hail the benevolent Fisher King, Jackson Hyde!
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

DC used to have a whole wonderful ongoing universe where sidekicks, legacies and children could "graduate" take over and become center stage.
    Without ruining the classic heroes in their prime for the next gen to enjoy them as you found and discovered them too.

So a new reader could get both; read about Batman in his prime (the way you discovered him).
    And in another book could read about him married, and retired where his protege comes into his own and daughter continues his legacy, etc. .
    They had both!

At some point DC decided the incoming fans or editors were to stupid to get the multiple continuity franchises concept? So they came up with Crisis to "fix" what wasn't broken.

Now we got one group complaining when will they "fix" comics and have ______Hero retire and let derivative new _______Legacy-kid take over!
    And another complaining, how many of these redundant derivative wannabes are they going to churn out, don't they realize this garbage piles up.!

Truth is comics have succeeded, put out more content, with a sliding time-scale and by KEEPING the main characters in their prime, and lasted longer doing that, than any other franchise characters.
    No other franchise using "organic time line" and replacing the main character, with the new "graduate" has lasted longer.

So stop trying to "fix" what isn't broken.

The best way to have both, is they should bring back multiple continuities.
    In one U Batman gets to keep being Batman in his prime, so the next gen can discover him the way you did.
    And in another, guess what you don't have to skip anyone.
    Everyone can read their favorite version growing up and replacing whoever the frak they think they deserve to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    What if the next generation are coming up and taking on their role in the wider world as their own superheros......
    but specifically skipping ....
    That said, of those you mention

An alt Earth World's Finest team up.
    with adult:
    Cassandra Cain as the New Batwoman
    and Naomi McDuffie as the New SuperWoman (Although by other names) would be fantastic!

Slight edit to costume above.

Another ongoing legacy narrative I would have most liked to have seen fulfilled, stems from a Brave and the Bold stint
    Wally West loses his power, yet to keep him in the fight Jordan powers him up, and Wally transitions to weilding the light energy.
    If in a forward going story, after Allen and Jordan have retired, Jordan's ring recognizes and again finds Wally.
    Making him the Legacy of both Allen (Flash) and Jordan (Lantern) with the power of both, becoming his own character called Light-Speed.
    With full speed yet also able to manipulate and generate Hard-Light-Speed-Force constructs through the ring.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-27-2020 at 03:38 AM.

Extraordinary Member

let's say the DC universe was progressing organically and time is passing for the heroes. What if the next generation are coming up and taking on their role in the wider world as their own superheros like the Nightwings, Tempests, Flashes and Arsenals before them, were would you see them?

Cassandra Cain
    Jackson Hyde
    Emiko Queen
    Wallace West
    Connor Kent
    Avery Ho
    Duke Thomas
    Tim Drake
    Stephanie Brown
    Keli Quintela
    Naomi McDuffie
    etc.
    Seems an odd list to me some of the characters are to new and young to graduate any time soon (Emiko Queen, Wallace West, Duke Thomas, Keli Quintela, Naomi McDuffie) and some aren't really sidekicks (Naomi McDuffie, Avery Ho(?)).

If I look at what happend with the previous generation, I don't think that the Graduation will bring a big change, code names and Costumes might change, but since most of these characters can't sell a solo (and I don't think DC will retire any of their mentors and pass down their titles) it's either a Titans style team book or limbo for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Seems an odd list to me some of the characters are to new and young to graduate any time soon (Emiko Queen, Wallace West, Duke Thomas, Keli Quintela, Naomi McDuffie) and some aren't really sidekicks (Naomi McDuffie, Avery Ho(?)).

If I look at what happend with the previous generation, I don't think that the Graduation will bring a big change, code names and Costumes might change, but since most of these characters can't sell a solo (and I don't think DC will retire any of their mentors and pass down their titles) it's either a Titans style team book or limbo for them.
    i just put a grabbag of Young Heroes that came to mind, any sidekick or sidekick adjacent character can apply. by sidekick adjacent i mean characters who'd be considered sidekicks compared to the more established heroes like Nightwing or a Green Arrow or a Flash. I'm not really talking about DC's continuity, people on these boards are too wrapped up in DC's incompetence complaining about what title we'd actually like to see is gonna be profitable to bother with and blah blah; i'm not here for all that. for me, it's not like this'll ever be a book or these characters will ever actually grow up, so i'm curious what people think or would like to see these heroes become if they could....well, become.

currently following:

Astonishing Member

noted and changed, thanks!

either you guys got any ideas tho? what names or role would you like to see these young heroes in if they could come into their own one day?
    Jackson Hyde should take over for Aquaman, while Arthur spends time with his family and focuses on ruling Atlantis.

Wallace needs to develop a spine before coming into his own. Maybe successfully stop teammates from doing stupid stuff for once instead of always going along with it.

Cassandra Cain should be the new Batwoman.

They got to stop thinking so linear. Thats part of why Tim's gen has struggled. To do what those before them did is not doing what those before them did. These next generations need to start graduating in different ways instead of just becoming the next Bat person or Aqua person. Lets look at Cassandra Cain for example. Why even waste time trying to come up with a superhero persona when superhero personas matter very little in context to that character. Dressing up as a superhero is how Batman understands the world, and so making her Batgirl was how he thought to help her. But its not like she grew up wanting to be Batgirl or even aware of superheros. Its not even like she needs to hide her identity so she can masquerade as a normal teenager, cause thats even more alien to the character. Just have her be Cassandra Cain, Kung Fu badass like Richard Dragon. And for some of the others do nothing. Not every sidekick needs to go beyond being a sidekick.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-28-2020 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

Avery is the Flash of the Justice League of China, but that entire team is teenagers. Barry treats her as a second Kid Flash (equal to Wallace) and always just calls her Avery. Officially, she's not a sidekick, but her youth means she's treated as one.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I got a few ideas for some of them

Teen Lantern- she is not an official green lantern, in fact her gauntlet is currently a mix of earth prime and earth 3 technology. My thought for her is that she doesn’t go to the lantern corps as they would likely take the gauntlet away, she goes to Alan Scott for training. Under his tutelage she will become a better hero outside the scope of the corps.

Wallace West-embraces his silver new 52 look and decides to embrace the place the person the universe created him to be a Flash. With this he decides to do something for his cousins that other speedsters have done in the past, he trains Iris West to be the next kid flash/impulse.

Duke Thomas- Decides that the best way to be something new was to use Batman’s tactics in the light, with his new found Shadow powers Duke can summon the darkness in the bright of day to put the fear of the bat into criminals.

Jackson Hyde- In a way he ends up following his fathers footsteps, seeing the danger that persists with N.E.M.O. who are controlled by Black Manta Jackson dethrones his father and decides to reform N.E.M.O. as a public entity to use it resources to the benefit of Atlantis and Aquaman. Hail the benevolent Fisher King, Jackson Hyde!
    I am not good at coming up with ideas at all, so let me just say these are really interesting.

Wallace takes on the name "Defiance" and rocks the white and black look from his time with Deathstroke. His civilian job is being a social worker for at risk youth.

Bart just stays Impulse and spends him getting into adventures. He's sorta becomes likes the 11th doctor from Doctor Who. I imagine that he would be a childish adult so thats part of his USP.

I like Superlad93's Agent KR pitch so I'd just expand on that. Connor works for Cadmus as a security agent. His adult self would be a troubleshooter for that town of Cadmus Clones seen in Young Justice.

Tim Drake picks up a new ID- Sandman, Dr.Midnite, The Question or The Crimson Avenger.

Steph spends some time with the Amazons and picks up some new moves. She works as a freelance bounty hunter/investigator.

Cissie grew up to be season 1 Trish from Jessica Jones (Netflix).

Connor Hawke becomes the leader of the Fist clan.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-27-2020 at 07:08 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Cassandra Cain
    Jackson Hyde
    Emiko Queen
    Wallace West
    Connor Kent
    Avery Ho
    Duke Thomas
    Tim Drake
    Stephanie Brown
    Keli Quintela
    Naomi McDuffie
    etc.

but specifically skipping Jon Kent and Damian Wayne because as progeny their paths are pretty predictably set to inherit their fathers' post one day.
    Cassandra Cain wanted to be a Bat from the Batman symbol, not Batwoman's symbol. People will call her Batwoman seeing her physique, but she won't call herself Batwoman because they're using a different symbol, and since people won't call her Batman because she's a woman, Black Bat is already the best compromise.

...or, she became named as Batwoman by the public, but using Batman's symbol instead of Kate

Jackson Hyde if we're following Kaldur will be Black Manta, but a good one. Kind of like erasing the sins of the father.

Emiko and Connor will be Green Arrow, just different generation, Connor will go first, then if something happens to him, Emiko.

Wallace, same like Wally, will take over Flash after Wally retires, using the silver Futures End costume

Avery is already the Flash of China right?

Tim and Stephanie can be Nightwing if Dick is Batman but their costume will be red and purple instead of blue

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Cissie grew up to be season 1 Trish from Jessica Jones (Netflix).
    That's Marvel. And of course, Trish is actually Patsy Walker, aka Hellcat (they tried to modernise what Patricia is shortened to).

Anyway, Cissie's already established as being an Olympic athlete.