Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default How would you incorporate The Spectre back into the JSA?

Straight up, The Spectre's a problematic character. That naked haunt can do, literally, anything. You've got to resort to all manner of silliness to make room for the other JSA members, even heavy-weights like Dr. Fate or Green Lantern, to make an impact on the action.

Then there's the part where he's kind of deranged. He sees evil, he's gonna stomp it. If he flattens all of Cleveland along the way? Well...omelettes and eggs, ya know.

Still, he's one of The Charter Eight. An original JSA member. It always vaguely bugged me that he didn't get more presence in the JSA over the years.

So, if DC were going to launch a new JSA title, how would you give a role in it to The Spectre?

Well, Alan is either gay or bi now, so make Spectre a couple with him?

Extraordinary Member

I wouldn't try. As you say, the Spectre is problematic, so why not just abandon him, at least as far as being a member.

Great question. I would go with the de-power route something along the lines of: God cant grant the bearer their life again but God takes away the spirit of vengeance angle. So Spectre still has the spirit and ghost powers and could coexist with the JSA without being overpowering.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I wouldn't try. As you say, the Spectre is problematic, so why not just abandon him, at least as far as being a member.
    Yup.
    The Spectre should be someone who appears when the **** has really hit the fan.
    The JSA would have come into contact with him during WWII, but he is a near omnipotent being with a sadistic streak. He's not a costume adventurer.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I’d have him haunt JLA headquarters.
    Just start drawing him subtly into random panels; a shadow here, disembodied eyes there, reflected on surfaces (think INSIDIOUS). The artist would have to be sneaky, so when the reveal eventually happens fans can go back and pore over back issues and look for the evidence.
    The reveal would be, after some unexplained “lucky breaks” for the team (also subtle) on a mission here and there, the team gets taken down by a huge HUGE threat, and Spectre shows up in full, helping tip the balance.
    After some back and forth where all the “ive been here all along/helped you out a few times” are brought up, he can go on his way, to a mini series or something.

If Corrigan hasn't been the Spectre for that long by the time the JSA forms they could maybe make he isn't fully aware of how actually powerful he is.

Extraordinary Member

Use the Spectre to JUstice society like how the Phantom Stranger was used to the Bronze Age JUstice League.

Astonishing Member

He maybe the powerful Wrath of God...but he's gets his orders from the Boss. So he's limited in that respect; he can't murder murders 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I’d have him haunt JLA headquarters.
    I like this idea.

I can see Corrigan wanting a force for Justice...not just Wrath.

I can see him be the power behind these men and women becoming the JSA. I can see him subtly influencing events from the background; he'd be the reason the JSAers would keep running into the crimes and criminals that they did.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 06-26-2020 at 06:17 PM.

I’d honestly play into the ending of Snyder’s Justice League and Geoff John’s Doomsday Clock for this one, Spectre as part of The Quintessence saw long ago the importance of the JSA and it’s impact on the universe from Superman, to the Legion, and so many other characters. He knew that they would need help so joined since it’s initial inception to be sure that it fulfilled it’s important role on history.

The JSA know they were gone, but the Spectre knows their true value in all things and now serves as it’s protector so that the universe will always have its guidance. Consider him a guardian angel you don’t want to make mad.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    If Corrigan hasn't been the Spectre for that long by the time the JSA forms they could maybe make he isn't fully aware of how actually powerful he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Use the Spectre to JUstice society like how the Phantom Stranger was used to the Bronze Age JUstice League.
    I like both of these.
    One could actually lead into the other. Have him on the team at a lower power level, then when he realizes his full potential he becomes an occasional guest star, helping to solve big problems or bringing the team knowledge of impending threats.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Yup.
    The Spectre should be someone who appears when the **** has really hit the fan.
    The JSA would have come into contact with him during WWII, but he is a near omnipotent being with a sadistic streak. He's not a costume adventurer.
    Yeah pretty much, hard to see the Spectre as a part of any team tbh. Well back in the new 52 I always thought he'd be a way better part of the trinity of sin than the Question, but besides some cosmic stuff like that, he's an odd fit.
    Like you said, just make him have team ups or some kind of (probably ominous) meetings with the JSA, as good a middle ground as any.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Don't put him back on the team. Instead have the Spectre stick Deadman in the JSA to be his eyes and ears about whsts going on there. Maybe say Boston pissed him off for some reason so he links Boston to have to be within so much distance to one of the JSA at all times, and they can see him.

Mighty Member

They're sitting at the table for the first time, about to strategize, and God says, "Yo guys, this is my champion. He's going to be hanging out with yooze from now on." And the Spectre shows up, and the heroes are like, "How do we know you're really God?" and God says, "I just cured all the cancer, and from now on cancer is not a thing." And all the cancer is cured forever, so they add Spectre to the team.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Have him sit in on the original meeting to judge the actual JSA's members and see if they can be trusted to pool their powers. They pass and he stops attending, but his presence at the first meeting where the iconic table shot comes into play establishes him as a founder.