Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Gotta hit the Spectre with that power nerf. Instead of the OP Day of Vengeance/Infinite Crisis level Spectre. Bring him down to Fate, Phantom Stranger, Enchantress or Mordru's level. The JSA has Fate, Shazam, Johnny Thunder and sometimes Black Adam on the team. Spectre is yet another magical member but hyper-inflated on the power scale. I would do a work around with Spectre's powers. By passing the spirit to other notable DC heroes who have died. There have been so many over the past 2 decades. That way, the new hosts for the Spectre have to learn the ropes and explore their powers all over again.

Or we kick him off the team and use him every once in a blue moon.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    My solution for all powerful characters is the same: they each have their own rule book. So what Spec does is governed by his own self-imposed restrictions--and if he goes overboard then it's because he's given himself license to do so. As he keeps changing, his rule book keeps changing. The Spectre that was with the Justice Society had a set of rules that stopped him from destroying the world in pursuit of absolute justice.
    I like that answer. Dr. Fate did a bit of that in his time in Giffin's early JL. The "That is beneath me," or "That is not my mission," thing would make for some tension in the group. You could see people wanting to give him the boot, but thinking better of it because:
    • They all know they're going to need him sooner or later, and
    • They're better off if he's at least usually where they can keep an eye on him.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    How cool is that!
    I love the Spectre, but he's just so far removed from the JSA's power level that you really can only have him for cameos or something. What can you do. Really, he's on any team he wants to be on. They can't really do much about it if he just sits in on a meeting.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

He’s problematic, so have him as a some time ally, some time nemesis.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I love the Spectre, but he's just so far removed from the JSA's power level that you really can only have him for cameos or something. What can you do. Really, he's on any team he wants to be on. They can't really do much about it if he just sits in on a meeting.
    Which makes him a character I want to stay far away from the JSA...and every other team. Really, he's more a plot point, a deus ex machina, than anything else. I don't want the JSA to become Indiana Jones for example, the greatest hero who never actually WON his adventure on his own, always having to be bailed out either by a god, or by God, literally, at the end. That's what the Spectre would be to them, the Ark, or the Sankara Stones, or the Grail.

IMO, he needs to be used sparingly in the extreme, and NOT with a team. Probably only something to level the playing field when there's a Crisis of some sort, and the whole DCU is threatened by someone with a name only a five year old would appreciate who vastly outpowers everyone, and preferably is the previously unknown mother of the previous biggest bad. That's where he's useful, to help writer's extricate themselves after writing themselves into a corner with the unbeatable character with a stupid name.

Extraordinary Member

Since the JSA is mostly about legacy, it feels weird to never see like a legacy character of the Spectre on the team. Or a spin-off.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Since the JSA is mostly about legacy, it feels weird to never see like a legacy character of the Spectre on the team. Or a spin-off.
    The late Det. Crispis Allen would like a word, after Mr. Jordan is done talking to you

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    My solution for all powerful characters is the same: they each have their own rule book. So what Spec does is governed by his own self-imposed restrictions--and if he goes overboard then it's because he's given himself license to do so. As he keeps changing, his rule book keeps changing. The Spectre that was with the Justice Society had a set of rules that stopped him from destroying the world in pursuit of absolute justice.
    Not just his rule book...the Spectre is the Wrath of God and he answers to the Love of God. So some restrictions are not self-imposed.

I can see the Spectre working from the background to create a force for justice...instead of just vengeance. I see him as an (spiritual?) advisor to the Society and a silent assistant performing some rescues. I can also see him empowering and endangering the JSA members; in others words, I don't think a lot of what happens is coincidence and dumb luck...I think it was him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The late Det. Crispis Allen would like a word, after Mr. Jordan is done talking to you
    No. That’s not what I meant. I mean I know whoever is the current Spectre will be just as powerful, so they can’t also be on the team.

I mean an offshoot of the Spectre. Like Jade to Alan. Or Northwind to Hawkman. To fill in the Spectre’s spot on the team.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Move Raven off the TT, and put her on the JSA. Raven wears a purple cloak and Spectre wears a green one. Make Raven a teenage gal pal of Courtney/Stargirl.

No. That’s not what I meant. I mean I know whoever is the current Spectre will be just as powerful, so they can’t also be on the team.

I mean an offshoot of the Spectre. Like Jade to Alan. Or Northwind to Hawkman. To fill in the Spectre’s spot on the team.
    Okay I got to ask because I’m interested, what do you mean?

Do you mean like a descendant of Jim Corrigan?
    A spirit similar to the Spectre?
    Or someone with access to the Spectre’s power?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Okay I got to ask because I’m interested, what do you mean?

Do you mean like a descendant of Jim Corrigan?
    A spirit similar to the Spectre?
    Or someone with access to the Spectre’s power?
    The latter two. Not the former.

The latter two. Not the former.
    Alright that’s understandable
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Retired

If you give me two hundred pages, I'll write a story for D.C. where at every J.S.A. meeting Spectre tries out several solutions to the problem of the quarter which completely makes the rest of the Society useless, only to discover that this approach has had unintended consequences, so he then gives himself a do-over and reverses time, but it takes him several tries before he gets it right, and the ultimate solution involves him doing the bare minimum and allowing his buds to do most of the work on each adventure. Rinse and repeat.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Move Raven off the TT, and put her on the JSA. Raven wears a purple cloak and Spectre wears a green one. Make Raven a teenage gal pal of Courtney/Stargirl.
    That's a bold move. It could actually work if you built up to it in both titles. But it would also upset a LOT of Titans fans. Not too many JSA fans though, I should think. What with training up and coming heroes being the JSA's mission. Raven isn't the typical JSA recruit, having quite a bit of experience, but it's a better move than straight to the League. It might even help Raven reach a wider audience...and help the JSA itself, and would supply a powerful but not too powerful replacement for the Spectre...if you think the JSA needs one.