Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Was Armageddon 2001 Really That Bad?

Most of the criticisms leved against it relate to the identity of Monarch being changed last minute. I've never read the crossover the whole way through, but what I have read has been stellar.

Amarageddon 2001 Special 1 I felt was not just a great superhero story, but a great dystopian narrative and time travel story as well.

Justice League America Annual 5 is probably the best tie in issue for a comic I have ever read. It's a perfect swan song for the Justice League International team.

I only read the parts that brought JSA back.

However, I can say with some confidence that I hate ANY kind of mystery where the clues don't actually point to the villain. Add Identity Crisis to the mix. If they wrote 3 issues and changed the ending to 4... I don't see any way it COULD have been good.

But it brought my JSA back

Incredible Member

some of those what-if svenarios for the annual crossovr were good, the main story though were just average.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I only read the parts that brought JSA back.

However, I can say with some confidence that I hate ANY kind of mystery where the clues don't actually point to the villain. Add Identity Crisis to the mix. If they wrote 3 issues and changed the ending to 4... I don't see any way it COULD have been good.

But it brought my JSA back
    that was an entire different mini series , that was armageddon inferno, not armageddon 2001. inferno only has waverider but that mini had a host of famous artists doing bits in its 4 part mini - walt simonson , art adams , tom mandrake doing his first spectre before the ostrander spectre series , the underrated michael netzer etc.

Good catch! So yeah... i never heard anything good about Armeggedon 2001 :P

Incredible Member

maybe not for the main story but as i said , some of those annuals were pretty good.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    maybe not for the main story but as i said , some of those annuals were pretty good.

This is all I've read of it. The Superman spinoffs. Most of them were pretty good. I liked the Maxima one. That one works even without the connection.
    Assassinate Putin!

The Hawk and Dove annual tie-in was pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    The Hawk and Dove annual tie-in was pretty good
    The story itself was good, but when you take into account the reveal of The Monarch identity, it feels so.. pointless?

Waverider: "Now my suspicions can be laid to rest, Hawk will NEVER become Monarch"
    *3 doritos later*
    Monarch: "Actually.."

smh

Incredible Member

there seemed to be 2 versions of monarch at least running around. One is hank hall , the other is nathaniel adam , hank hall one became extant during zero hour killing waverider and taking his powers in the process. got killed later in the geoff johns jsa comic , the adam one appeared in extreme justice and later involved in countdown

there seemed to be 2 versions of monarch at least running around. One is hank hall , the other is nathaniel adam , hank hall one became extant during zero hour killing waverider and taking his powers in the process. got killed later in the geoff johns jsa comic , the adam one appeared in extreme justice and later involved in countdown
    We dont speak about that hare

I like every Armageddon 2001 story I've ever read - but I've never read the whole story.

My two favorites were the ones where Lois Lane died and Maxima wound up being Superman's new bride after learning some compassion and responsibility, which is honestly one of my favorite alternate timelines in the history of DC, and the L.E.G.I.O.N. story where Dox captured Waverider and used his power over time as a super-battery whose power allowed Dox himself to become a fascist dictator - and Waverider used that knowledge to convince Dox to let him go again back in the past! Nice little meta story there.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Boisterously Confused

some of those what-if svenarios for the annual crossovr were good, the main story though were just average.
    I agree. They were enjoyable Tales Of What Might Come To Pass. The quality varied from title to title. Unfortunately, the central title was one of the weaker ones, even before the plot-twist course-correct they had to bolt onto it in hour eleven.

Armageddon 2001 was *this close* to being one of the better summer crossovers that DC ever put out.

It had a solid premise, the annuals were, more often than not, good silly fun, and throughout the whole event, there was a tantalizing promise that a DC character was going to break bad in the future.

And then, because they panicked over people having figured out the ending (an ending which would have made dramatic sense), they blew it up in the most nonsensical way possible, creating a ball of continuity nonsense that has never been properly resolved.

So yeah, hero to zero, just like that.

I never liked Monarch's design.

Something about it just makes it look too clunky, and outside of that, nothing about it really stands out. It's just generic looking armor.