Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Silver Swan hero or Foe

With Vannesa being the current one should she be a hero or a foe? I don't mind being Helena back. and Vannesa being something else

I think the chances of Helen Alexandros returning as the Silver Swan are about equal to Priscilla Rich returning as the Cheetah - slim to none. It's been over three decades and three reboots since the last time she appeared. Vanessa has a much bigger presence in WW mythos and she was in the animated movie, I doubt DC would just toss her away for an obscure character from the 80's.

As for what she should be, I'd say hero. I just don't see what else can be done with her as a villain.

I prefer her as tragic villain. Not sure if that’s possible w. the current version.

Feel a lot of what made Vanessa interesting as the Silver Swan has been taking by the Rebirth version of Barbara Minverva/Cheetah so with that version I'd probably make her a redeemed villain turned hero as a contrasting fate to current Cheetah.

I feel strongly that the best part of Vanessa as Silver Swan was her being cured of it. She wasn't a villain to redeemed, but a victim to be saved. And then go on to an ordinary life. Not a hero, not a villain. Her being Silver Swan long-term just irritates me to even think about and I hate what was done to her in New 52.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Vanessa's turn as the Swan was very well done by Jimenez and Rucka, but it had a limited shelf life. She pretty much has to be reformed after a few encounters or Diana looks incredibly ineffective. Plus, the specific circumstances that lead to it and let the execution work are no longer canon. The rush job of making her the Swan in Robinson's run and in Bloodlines fell far short in comparison.

She has eclipsed the other Swans in importance at this point, but I would like for Alexandros to be brought back.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Bringing back Helen, and making her a pawn of the gods would be ideal. I’d also love to see Debbie Domaine brought back in some capacity, but that’s neither here nor there.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

I’d also upgrade Helen’s powers as well. She could use her voice to control people, especially men (see: Lorelei from the Savage Land Mutates), disorientate people’s equilibrium, and strength to match Wonder Woman’s. I’d also make her a demigoddess.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

This reminds me of Livewire in Superman. Livewire is more of a force of chaos than anything else. Sure, she has a grudge that causes her to want to attack Superman, but other than that? She's just a person with no real goals. She didn't really ever find one as a villain outside teamups. Then she joins the Supermen of America, and renounces villainy.

It's a similar thing with the Silver Banshee. They're characters that in-universe don't actually have solid reasons to be villains.

As for the Swans?

Valerie was born with physical deformities that were cured by an experimental super-medicine procedure that also gave her the swan sonic powers. Her reason for fighting WW is a mix of hating people born pretty and being told to by her backers.
    Vanessa is a cyborg who is seemingly insane because the computer in her cybernetics has it's own personality.
    Helen was given a deal by Ares. He'd make her the Swan permanently if she killed WW.

So human mutated by science, divine empowerment, or cyborg.... Helen has the most firm reason to be a villain in that Ares ordered her to be a villain in exchange for her powers.

I'm curious Swan's are generally Hera's symbol. So

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I'm curious Swan's are generally Hera's symbol. So
    Peacocks were Hera's bird motif, Swans were associated more with Apollo and Aphrodite.

Can't say it plainly enough; I want the pre-Crisis, Ares-powered Silver Swan, back!
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Can't say it plainly enough; I want the pre-Crisis, Ares-powered Silver Swan, back!
    I’m reading the Conway/Thomas/Mishkin/Newell runs right now. Love. Every. Moment. Of. It.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Bringing back Helen, and making her a pawn of the gods would be ideal. I’d also love to see Debbie Domaine brought back in some capacity, but that’s neither here nor there.
    I agree, Debbie Domaine is a far more interesting Cheetah than Barbara Minerva.

As for Silver Swan Helen Alexandros was first and best and at this point she's the preferred version. I'd introduce her in Justice League as a new heroine that All About Eves Wonder Woman. For those who haven't seen the movie, Eve was a frenemy that wormed her way into Bette Davis' life in order to steal it. She got close enough to study her idol, imitate her, see her flaws, ingratiate herself to her friends, befriend her enemies and it was all to obtain her career status and lifestyle while ruining her idol's reputation.

I say that because for me the most memorable aspect of the original story was how others saw the Silver Swan as perfect and any attempt Diana made to show otherwise made her appear to be a jealous detractor. I'd have Diana try to convince the League Silver Swan was indeed a villain and have it fall on deaf ears when nobody believes the once goddess of truth until it's too late.

I say that because for me the most memorable aspect of the original story was how others saw the Silver Swan as perfect and any attempt Diana made to show otherwise made her appear to be a jealous detractor. I'd have Diana try to convince the League Silver Swan was indeed a villain and have it fall on deaf ears when nobody believes the once goddess of truth until it's too late.
    I don't like everyone else looking like morons. And there are telepaths and empaths and so forth among them.

For them not to listen to their long-time ally when she says something is wrong or someone can't be trusted is just wrong. They don't agree to agree with her about everything, but not to even listen or investigate - nope. Only think worse would be having only Bruce listen/know the truth.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 06-28-2020 at 10:22 AM.