Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Silver Swan hero or Foe

With Vannesa being the current one should she be a hero or a foe? I don't mind being Helena back. and Vannesa being something else

I think the chances of Helen Alexandros returning as the Silver Swan are about equal to Priscilla Rich returning as the Cheetah - slim to none. It's been over three decades and three reboots since the last time she appeared. Vanessa has a much bigger presence in WW mythos and she was in the animated movie, I doubt DC would just toss her away for an obscure character from the 80's.

As for what she should be, I'd say hero. I just don't see what else can be done with her as a villain.

I prefer her as tragic villain. Not sure if that’s possible w. the current version.

Feel a lot of what made Vanessa interesting as the Silver Swan has been taking by the Rebirth version of Barbara Minverva/Cheetah so with that version I'd probably make her a redeemed villain turned hero as a contrasting fate to current Cheetah.

I feel strongly that the best part of Vanessa as Silver Swan was her being cured of it. She wasn't a villain to redeemed, but a victim to be saved. And then go on to an ordinary life. Not a hero, not a villain. Her being Silver Swan long-term just irritates me to even think about and I hate what was done to her in New 52.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Vanessa's turn as the Swan was very well done by Jimenez and Rucka, but it had a limited shelf life. She pretty much has to be reformed after a few encounters or Diana looks incredibly ineffective. Plus, the specific circumstances that lead to it and let the execution work are no longer canon. The rush job of making her the Swan in Robinson's run and in Bloodlines fell far short in comparison.

She has eclipsed the other Swans in importance at this point, but I would like for Alexandros to be brought back.