Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Are cop shows a bad influence on people?

Thanks to recent real-life events, there is more scrutiny on the institution of police than ever before. And, some of that scrutiny is landing on cop shows and how they depict the way law enforcement is supposed to behave. While some of these shows have promised to take more care with their writing, there have been called to remove them from the air.

https://tvline.com/2020/06/26/trevor...u-*********pd/

So, what do you think?

It seems like a dead link.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    ... there have been called to remove them from the air.

Cops like any profession and groups are full of good and bad people.
    TV shows good and bad for better and worse can portray and reflect that.

You don't want to watch a cop shown don't
    you don't like the one one being aired, protest to your network.
    You want one that depicts cops the way you see and want it, create or help create it.

But flat out banning all "cop shows" for the fact of being cop shows, is getting to totalitarianism level censorship and control.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-28-2020 at 03:59 AM.

I mean yes, as now I know juries are asking, "what does the DNA evidence show?"
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

BANNED

How times change...It used to be whether crime movies glorify gangsters?

I think the same principle about gangster movies applies to cop movies/shows. Showing a movie from a gangster's perspective isn't going to make people join a gang or form one. Same way, I don't think shows about cops are going to make people join the police.

The difference I think is that you are far more likely to come into contact with or rely on the police than a gangster. And shows like CSI and so on, definitely color people's ideas about what the police do, or can believably do.

I don't think shows like The Wire, which is a critical look at the police system, or movies like The Departed or Traffic, or Madigan are going to be diminished just because the main cast there revolve around cops.

Ultimate Member

Depends on the show, but I am tired of the constant requirement of rule breaking as the norm, that then goes unpunished.

Ultimate Member

I always felt more that cop shows showed people the crap that cops had to deal with on a daily basis...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I always felt more that cop shows showed people the crap that cops had to deal with on a daily basis...
    It shows that at the expense of the crap that cops deal out on a daily basis.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. When was the last time a show had a scumbag cop on the cast who should have been fired, but stayed on because of the union?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Then someone should make a show about that and see if people watch. Or if someone opens people's eyes to certain realities about police that have been glossed over, people may lose interest in traditional cop shows. Generally speaking I'm on the side of trying to change people's minds to change viewing behavior rather than trying to get stuff cancelled. Educate, speak your mind then let people make up their own minds about what they want to watch.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-27-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Cops like any profession and groups are full of good and bad people.
    TV shows good and bad for better and worse can portray and reflect that.

You don't want to watch a cop shown don't
    you don't like the one one being aired, protest to your network.
    You want one that depicts cops the way you see and want it, create or help crate it.

But flat out banning all "cop shows" for the fact of being cop shows, is getting to totalitarianism level censorship and control.
    ^^^This guy gets it.

I definitely think that the glorification of rule breakers and officers who circumvent due process is an issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. When was the last time a show had a scumbag cop on the cast who should have been fired, but stayed on because of the union?
    I don't know if there's been a cop show that dealt with the police unions.

The usual sob story is that cops are working stiffs who risk their lives to protect the ungrateful middle class and liberal media types and lawyers and so on, who blather on about due process and habeas corpus on behalf of scum who don't deserve it while the real heroes (i.e. them) risk themselves on behalf of an ungrateful society. And in exchange, their usual thanks is either getting shot or a small pension. The police having a powerful union (maybe the most powerful union after the beating unions took in the 70s and 80s) doesn't fit that narrative.

Now cops being underpaid and putting their lives on the line might well have been true at some point, and probably still is in some cases, and certainly is an issue in poorer countries, but we don't usually get to see the police union work and how they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Then someone should make a show about that and see if people watch. Or if someone opens people's eyes to certain realities about police that have been glossed over, people may lose interest in traditional cop shows.
    I would like a morally gray portrayal of the police union, where some of the benefits and stuff they give to cops and so on, is worthwhile but it comes at the price of "blue wall of silence", letting bad cops stay on the payroll, and qualified immunity, and overpolicing minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentonis View Post
    I definitely think that the glorification of rule breakers and officers who circumvent due process is an issue.
    I hope we see less of that as time goes on. Also glorification of militarized police.

The problem is the rule breakers always do it to the guilty person. When has a cop show shown an office beat or kill a completely innocent person? Cop shows in general are not a problem, how they portray Police Brutality is.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The problem is the rule breakers always do it to the guilty person. When has a cop show shown an office beat or kill a completely innocent person? Cop shows in general are not a problem, how they portray Police Brutality is.
    It's also always the "Bad Cop" who does police brutality to innocent people. Like we never get a show where for instance Andy Samberg's cop type from Brooklyn 9-9 does police brutality.

The police who do bad stuff aren't so stereotyped or obvious as movies and tv shows go about it.