Spectacular Member Dominick1216's Avatar

Default Have there been any other New Gods-type scenarios between Marvel & DC?

Jack Kirby originally conceived the idea and intended for the New Gods to be a part of the Marvel Universe. He teased it with Thor #128-129. With Ragnarok being the creation of them, and the Asgardians becoming the Old Gods. These ideas were still part of the Kirby's original New Gods series when he went to DC. IIRC, there was even a panel with one of the New Gods going to what is supposed to be the remains of Asgard (not what it's called in the series) and finds a helmet that looks exactly like Thor's. So in a way, if you want to look at it like this, the original New Godsis kind of like a sequel to Kirby's Thor run.

What my question is, has there been any other scenario like this where a writer intends to have a story, event, or series be part of one company (Marvel/DC), but it eventually comes into fruition when said writer moves to another company (DC/Marvel)?

Nightcrawler was originally conceived by Dave Cockrum as a member of a Legion of Superheroes spin-off team called the Outsiders...

Outsiders.jpg

Boisterously Confused

During a run on Avengers, Englehardt created the ambiguously psychic Kung Fu character Mantis. She was written out at the end of the Celestial Madonna storyline, departing for space after marrying an alien.
    Mantis-Marvel-Comics-Avengers-Profile.jpg
    Soon after, Englehardt wrote a JLA story featuring Willow, a clear adaptation of Mantis that basically continued her story.
    mantis_1.jpg

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Blink and you miss them easter eggs are things I miss from classic comics.

Legion of Super-Heroes - The Great Darkness Saga 1982

Thor Odinson and Karnilla The Norn Queen among the Daxamites who are under Darkseid's control.

Thor/Don Blake runs into Clark and Lois - Walter Simonson's Run on Thor in the 1983-1987

Walter Simonon’s 2000-2002 run on Orion. Desaad finds Thor’s belt of strength on an excavation dig. Thor acquired it in Journey into Mystery #91 1963. It doubled his strength. Desaad gave it to Kalibak to kill Orion.

It's not really the same thing, but Clark Kent is a recurring presence in the Marvel universe. Here he is in the Ultimates. Doctor Know already posted a time he ran into Thor in the '80s!

Ew, what's with that "jpeg" quality?

Hm, Kirby's Captain Glory and OMAC were both originally conceived as sort of replacements for Captain America, possibly while he was still at Marvel? I think Captain Glory was designed in the sixties; didn't get published until Topps comics came out with their Kirby books in the '90s - which Kirby didn't do much work on iirc. I've only read a few issues but I don't think he drew any of them.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The classic Quasar #17 with the character of Burried Alien. This came out after Barry Allen died in Crisis.

My personal favorite would be SHAZAM!/Marvel Family in Miracleman #5 (or Miracleman #7 in the Marvel/Disney version):

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-28-2020 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Well it's not a Marvel/DC thing but it is connected to The New Gods. In 1981, Kirby did a series for the now defunct Pacific Comics called Captain Victory and Galactic Rangers. While he was past his prime at that point, there are some great examples that he could still bring it. I'm guessing he wasn't on such a tight schedule like the one Marvel and DC had him under, so he could take more time with the art.

In the last issues of the series, Kirby crafted an origin story for Captain Victory which he tied into the New Gods. It was suggested that Captain Victory was the son of Orion. Orion was not specifically named, but a number of clues were planted, including equipment said to belong to Captain Victory's father that looked a lot like Orion's astro-harness. Captain Victory's grandfather, Blackmaas, was illustrated only as a cast shadow, but a shadow that bore a resemblance to Darkseid. "Darkseid" even talks about how Victory's father was a champion of his enemies. Basically Orion killed Darkseid's physical form, but he survived as a shadow.

I would love to see DC acquire the rights to Captain Victory and continue the story.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick1216 View Post

What my question is, has there been any other scenario like this where a writer intends to have a story, event, or series be part of one company (Marvel/DC), but it eventually comes into fruition when said writer moves to another company (DC/Marvel)?
    Ed Brubaker with Jason Todd/Red Hood and Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier. Brubaker was writing Batman and Gotham Central between 2002-2005. His plan was to resurrect the dead side kick of Batman and give him a tough as nails, killer edge. While Judd Winick would be the one to write Under the Hood in 2005. Brubaker took the idea with him to Marvel in 2005. When he began his legendary Captain America run. His first two arcs in the 2005 run revolved around the Winter Soldier and who he was.

Two former boy wonders, resurrected from the dead, and sporting knew assassin skills and personas. Fighting their former mentors and partners.

Bucky came back in Captain America vol 5 #1 on January 2005.
    Jason came back in Batman vol 1 #535 on February 2005.

#DC/Marvel.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 06-29-2020 at 05:05 AM.