View Poll Results: Do you want to see Ben Riley a member of Guardians of the Galaxy?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dear God No..

19 54.29%
  • I'm in favor of it.

7 20.00%
  • It depends on what he could offer to the team.

10 28.57%
  • I can't see Ben getting along with the team

5 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Should Ben Reilly become a member of Guardians of the Galaxy?

What's the point of creating characters that can't be developed by other editorial departments? The Spider-Office, for example, has Carnage, Kingpin, and Norman Osborn outside of Spider-Man's world. So why can't Marvel send Ben off to Guardians of the Galaxy? He would make for a great addition to the supporting cast. This would be the platform for him to get out of Peter Parker's shadow. His persona matching well with the team. He has yet to venture off into space. Therefore, would you be in favor of Ben becoming a member of Guardians of the Galaxy?

Ever since Jack Flag joined and the team went to his funeral I have been very pro "random Earth hero who shouldn't be there" as a Guardian.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I don't see any reason for this, no. I mean, if the story works, sure, but I don't see a good benefit to put a guy who swings on webs in a spaceship.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

On paper it sounds like a completely random choice, but if some writer has a story to tell with him on the Guardians then sure, why not.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    On paper it sounds like a completely random choice, but if some writer has a story to tell with him on the Guardians then sure, why not.

I thought it was pretty random as well but then i remembered darthfury78 on the spidey forums was a pretty big Peter Parker/Moondragon shipper for some reason and now it kinda makes sense. Apparently he's given up hope on a pairing with the one true PP and decided to try and make Ben and Moondragon a thing.

I'm not particularly interested in seeing Ben join the Guardians -- or go into space in general -- but I AM interested in Ben actually appearing somewhere regularly, so...

Sure? For a bit?

Doesn't seem like a good fit, but stranger comics have been made.

-Pav, who still ships Ben x Firestar...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

My gut reaction was the same as Matt_Murdock, in that i dont see any benefit in it.
    But like Snoop Dogg i'm kinda pro "guy who shouldnt be there". Its worked w. Azrael, it worked w. Kitty Pryde, it worked w. the Punisher (space AND Asgard!); and earth hero in space adventure is a golden oldie of comics stories.

So...yeah, why not!

They gotta play w. his outfit, though. Lose the mask as theres no reason for it. Keep the spider motif but put him in something more Jetsons-ish. It could actually be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    My gut reaction was the same as Matt_Murdock, in that i dont see any benefit in it.
    But like Snoop Dogg i'm kinda pro "guy who shouldnt be there". Its worked w. Azrael, it worked w. Kitty Pryde, it worked w. the Punisher (space AND Asgard!); and earth hero in space adventure is a golden oldie of comics stories.

So...yeah, why not!

They gotta play w. his outfit, though. Lose the mask as theres no reason for it. Keep the spider motif but put him in something more Jetsons-ish. It could actually be a lot of fun.
    If Ben ended up with a symbtionte, I think being in the Guardians might work. That gives the whole thing about him having adventures in space a bit more context.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I am a big fan of the visual of Spider-People clinging and/or hanging on by web from a moving rocket ship.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If Ben ended up with a symbtionte, I think being in the Guardians might work. That gives the whole thing about him having adventures in space a bit more context.
    I’m not a fan of symbiotes, I think they’re way overdone.
    Ben getting the chance at one and turning it down would be cool, though!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I’m not a fan of symbiotes, I think they’re way overdone.
    Ben getting the chance at one and turning it down would be cool, though!
    Already happened, though. In the comics during his time as Spider-Man, he bonded with the Carnage symbiote that had been hopping from host to host after separating from Cletus Kasady. It was a four-part arc titled "Web of Carnage." As for the original question --- could be fun.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Already happened, though. In the comics during his time as Spider-Man, he bonded with the Carnage symbiote that had been hopping from host to host after separating from Cletus Kasady. It was a four-part arc titled "Web of Carnage." As for the original question --- could be fun.
    Ah, but this would be a space symbiote. Because there are space symbiotes now because...they’re overdone.

But yeah the more I think about it, it (Ben in space) could def. be fun!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Ah, but this would be a space symbiote. Because there are space symbiotes now because...they’re overdone.

But yeah the more I think about it, it (Ben in space) could def. be fun!
    Technically, the symbiotes came from space in the first place, so Ben would just be meeting them halfway. Oh, and considering Donny Cates's recent run on Guardians of the Galaxy concurrent with his still-ongoing Venom run, I could see Ben running into Knull now that the end of Absolute Carnage has freed Knull to resume his quest to consume and destroy all life in the universe.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Technically, the symbiotes came from space in the first place, so Ben would just be meeting them halfway. Oh, and considering Donny Cates's recent run on Guardians of the Galaxy concurrent with his still-ongoing Venom run, I could see Ben running into Knull now that the end of Absolute Carnage has freed Knull to resume his quest to consume and destroy all life in the universe.
    Oh I know the genesis of the symbiotes.
    But Venom used to be unique, and that sir, is out the window and has been for years now. Watering down a good idea and milking it for all it’s worth isn’t unique to comics, and there will always be fans of the derivative stuff, but some ppl won’t want to see these things shoe horned into every possible concept.

Ben Reilly in space is a good idea on its own. It doesn’t need a frikking symbiote. Just mho.

That sound's random and I like random, especially if it's good. They could also be tackling a particular niche, has there been a spider character in space since Agent Venom?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8