All-New Member

Default Need Help - Identifying Character

I need some help identifying this piece I have in my collection. I don't know who the character is and who's signature is on the back (It honestly looks like "Otto O. Binda" to me... LOL!). It's made of wood and has some missing pieces on the limbs, but I just can't find anything about this in any searching I've been doing. I don't know if it is maybe fan art or what. I placed it near a normal sheet of paper for scale. If this is the wrong forum section for me to ask this question please move it to the correct section.

Any info would be much appreciated, thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingdbag View Post
    I need some help identifying this piece I have in my collection. I don't know who the character is and who's signature is on the back (It honestly looks like "Otto O. Binda" to me... LOL!). It's made of wood and has some missing pieces on the limbs, but I just can't find anything about this in any searching I've been doing. I don't know if it is maybe fan art or what. I placed it near a normal sheet of paper for scale. If this is the wrong forum section for me to ask this question please move it to the correct section.

Any info would be much appreciated, thanks!
    Otto Binder did write Captain Marvel. If that is his autograph then this might increase the value of that piece. He also was the writer that expanded the DC's Superman "family" and created Brainiac, co-created Supergirl and along with The Phantom Zone and the Bottle City of Kandor

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Otto Binder did write Captain Marvel. If that is his autograph then this might increase the value of that piece. He also was the writer that expanded the DC's Superman "family" and created Brainiac, co-created Supergirl and along with The Phantom Zone and the Bottle City of Kandor
    Wow, his signature is pretty legible for me to get pretty close. I have no idea if the signature is legit... I would assume it is since I got this piece from my uncle who was a big collector in the 50-70s. He gave me this and a bunch of other things 30+ years ago when he found out I started to get into comics. I'm also a moron for probably not figuring out it was Shazam since that new movie just came out not that long ago *facepalm*.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by kingdbag View Post
    ... I'm also a moron for probably not figuring out it was Shazam since that new movie just came out not that long ago *facepalm*.
    In fairness, he hasn't been drawn like that in nearly 25 years.

All-New Member

Anyone know where I could possibly go to find out more about this thing? I don't see anything wood for really any characters in my searching that is this old and isn't fan art... also it would be cool to look at Otto's real signature to compare to what is on my item.

Incredible Member

Here's a couple of examples of Otto's signature:

--
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

All-New Member

Looks very similar... that's pretty cool if it really is his signature.