Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Evil counterparts

I’m trying to get a list of superheroes or teams without evil counterparts:
    For example: Superman would have Zod, Bizarro, Cyborg Superman, possibly Eradicator, Superboy Prime, Ultraman.

While the team Superman is on, JUstice League has Crime Syndicate.

Or Plastic Man has one in Plasaman and the team he’s on, The Terrifics, have the Dreadfuls.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I’m trying to get a list of superheroes or teams without evil counterparts:
    For example: Superman would have Zod, Bizarro, Cyborg Superman, possibly Eradicator, Superboy Prime, Ultraman.

While the team Superman is on, JUstice League has Crime Syndicate.

Or Plastic Man has one in Plasaman and the team he’s on, The Terrifics, have the Dreadfuls.
    That's a little bit hard to find, as The Mirror is such a common hero-fiction trope, going back at least as far as Doyle's Professor Moriarty.

As I think on it, neither of the first two Atoms had an opposite number (although Ryan Choi did). While Batman has at least three, I don't think anyone ever created counterparts for either Nightwing or Batgirl. In a similar manner, I don't think anyone ever gave Supergirl or Power Girl, opposites (except, maybe each other). I haven't followed all of his series, but I don't know that Black Lightning got an opposite number (he had several adversaries - most notably, Tobias Whale -but nobody that was really a mirror character). Same is true of Firestorm.

A lot of the pre-Silver Age characters never picked up a Mirror: Robot Man, The Shining Knight, Hourman, the original Green Lantern, The Star-Spangled Kid and Stripsey, The Sandman. Several of those, however, lost their features before superhero comics went beyond beating up gangsters.

Ultimate Member

Most of the big name Leaguers have them; and thanks to the Crime Syndicate getting buffed past Ultraman, Owlman, Power Ring, Johnny Quick and Superwoman to include Scarab (evil Blue Beetle), Deathstorm (Firestorm), Fiero (Fire), Frostbite (Ice), Slipstream (Kid Flash), Deadeye (Green Arrow), Elasti-Man (Elongated Man), Element Man (Metamorpho), Annataz (Zatanna), Barracuda (Aquaman), Talon (Robin), Doctor Noon (Dr. Midnite), White Cat (Black Canary), Spaceman (Starman), White Martian (Martian Manhunter), Blood Eagle (Hawkman), Sea King (Aquaman, again!), Atomika (Atom) and Grid (Cyborg). They're mostly just one-offs, unlike figures like Sinestro or Zoom or Bizarro or Zod, who are more lasting characters, and Superwoman, in particular, isn't a reverse image so much (she's not an evil Amazon, but seems more like an evil Supergirl, complete with heat vision).

But that still leaves a lot of non-Satellite-era Leaguers like Vixen, Booster Gold, Black Lightning, Red Arrow, etc. who don't seem to have regular 'evil versions' or even one-off Crime Syndicate expies. Teams like the Outsiders, Justice Society, Doom Patrol, Birds of Prey, Secret Six, Power Company, Global Guardians, etc. seem less likely to have fallen into this trope.

Much of the Teen Titans / Young Justice crew got evil versions of themselves during the 'Titans Army' storyline, where versions of them from a future where they worked for Luthor, came back to fight them. And there are a few others specific 'dark reflections' out there, like Conner / Match, Cassie / Devastation, Bart / Inertia.

Many of the older Legionnaires also have evil match-ups (if not actual 'evil versions of themselves'), in the Legion of Super-Villains. Saturn Girl / Saturn Queen and Esper Lass, Lightning Lad / Lightning Lord, etc., but there's still a bunch with no 'evil versions,' like Invisible Kid, Karate Kid, Colossal Boy, Shadow Lass, Phantom Girl, Ultra Boy, etc.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    ...Superwoman, in particular, isn't a reverse image so much (she's not an evil Amazon, but seems more like an evil Supergirl, complete with heat vision)...
    Depends on the version. Superwoman was absolutely created as a Wonder Woman Mirror. They've done the Supergirl you mention, but they've also returned to the Evil Amazon.

The Red Bee? Brother Power the Geek? Ambush Bug? Gang Buster? g’nort? Vibe? Gypsy? The Creeper? Maxima?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Captain Atom has Major Force

Do the Hawks as a couple have an evil counterpart couple? (I don't know if Earth-3 should count since that's the point of Earth-3 and it's a different dimension)

Blue Beetle (Kord) didn't have one, did he? I don't think The Question does either. (although the "man of a thousand faces" from the Black Label series seems like he is setting up to be)

BANNED

Superman: Bizzaro, Ultraman, Zod, Cyborg Superman, Eradicator

Wonder Woman: Superwoman, Grail, Flashpoint Wonder Woman

Batman: Owlman, Wraith, Batman Who Laughs, Hell any of the Dark Knights would make this a long list

Flash: Reverse Flash, Zoom, Future Flash, Red Death, Bizzaro Flash

Green Lantern: Honestly could be paralleled by any evil Lantern, Sinestro, Atrocitus, Parralax Hal

Aquaman: Ocean Master, Kordax, Atlan, Sea King, Bizzaro Aquaman

Cyborg: Grid

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Hawk and Dove have Condor and Swan. They also have Kestral.

Metamorpho has an evil counterpart in Algon.
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 06-28-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Here's my pitch for a Syndicate series:

Ultraman and the Syndicate get back from an extended stay in prison of some kind - possibly on Earth 1, or in that jail in the Bleed that the Green Lanterns made back in the Silver Age. After their jailbreak, they come back to Earth 3 to find that another set of bosses has moved in on their territory - probably in the form of Earth 3 versions of other super-heroes, like the Scarlet Scarab, J'edd J'arkus, or British telepath Newcastle White.

Important to note, I'm not really into the idea of the Syndicate as mad despots out to rule the world. They're old school crime bosses; ruling the world would come with too much baggage and frankly it's just not as fun to read about, I figure.

The series takes the form of an emerging narrative of a gangland power struggle, like the Sopranos or even the Godfather. Meanwhile, like in the Godfather part II, we get flashbacks to how the Syndicate main characters were in their youth - but told and drawn in the style of Golden Age and Silver Age comics about them, as inversions of well-known stories about their Earth 1 counterparts!

If Superman # 1 has a brief rundown of Superman's origin story, then jumps into him trying to clear Evelyn Curry of murder, by contrast Ultraman's flashback story would give a brief rundown of his background - doomed planet, raised by a petty but successful thief - and then tell a story about how he helps Bea Carroll to frame Evelyn, and then blackmails Carroll for his help! Similarly, if Detective # 27 has a story where the Bat-Man stops a chemical syndicate illegal deal murder - Owlman manages to get cut in for a piece of the action, and then kills the others himself! You get the picture; every one of the Syndicate gets one of these, and meanwhile the main story about the gang subterfuge unfolds!

I would hope that this unique framing device of the Syndicate with parallels not only to the Leagues' backstories - but also to their real-life publication histories - would eradicate the problem that the Syndicate get totally rebooted every time they get used anew.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Superman: Bizzaro, Ultraman, Zod, Cyborg Superman, Eradicator

Wonder Woman: Superwoman, Grail, Flashpoint Wonder Woman

Batman: Owlman, Wraith, Batman Who Laughs, Hell any of the Dark Knights would make this a long list

Flash: Reverse Flash, Zoom, Future Flash, Red Death, Bizzaro Flash

Green Lantern: Honestly could be paralleled by any evil Lantern, Sinestro, Atrocitus, Parralax Hal

Aquaman: Ocean Master, Kordax, Atlan, Sea King, Bizzaro Aquaman

Cyborg: Grid
    Wonder Woman also has Genocide and Devastation. Cyborg also has Cyborgirl.

Metamorpho also has Metalmorpho from the Dreadfuls.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 06-28-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    ...and Superwoman, in particular, isn't a reverse image so much (she's not an evil Amazon, but seems more like an evil Supergirl, complete with heat vision).
    Superwoman of the Crime Syndicate is, and always has been, since her introduction in JLA #29-30, 1964, an evil version of Wonder Woman.

Superwoman started out as a renegade Amazon. In the newer versions, killed off all of her Amazon sisters on Damnation Island. That says evil to me.

Superwoman may have been re-imagined more recently with a few different additional powers that WW does not have, but Superwoman is still the evil version of Wonder Woman.

Not sure if any of these ever made it to comic https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Injustice...ver_for_Batman!) Also quite a bit of evil versions in Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.
    Last edited by Lonewolf36; 06-28-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That's a little bit hard to find, as The Mirror is such a common hero-fiction trope, going back at least as far as Doyle's Professor Moriarty.

As I think on it, neither of the first two Atoms had an opposite number (although Ryan Choi did). While Batman has at least three, I don't think anyone ever created counterparts for either Nightwing or Batgirl. In a similar manner, I don't think anyone ever gave Supergirl or Power Girl, opposites (except, maybe each other). I haven't followed all of his series, but I don't know that Black Lightning got an opposite number (he had several adversaries - most notably, Tobias Whale -but nobody that was really a mirror character). Same is true of Firestorm.

A lot of the pre-Silver Age characters never picked up a Mirror: Robot Man, The Shining Knight, Hourman, the original Green Lantern, The Star-Spangled Kid and Stripsey, The Sandman. Several of those, however, lost their features before superhero comics went beyond beating up gangsters.
    Doesn't Owlman have a Robin mirror? Talon?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Doesn't Owlman have a Robin mirror? Talon?
    For Robin, yes. So does Wrath. But not for Nightwing, even tho Owlmans Talon was his world's Grayson.