Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Retired

Default Who was older on screen? Lois or Clark?

It seems to me that more often than not the actress who plays Lois is older than the actor who plays Clark. I wanted to see if I was right so I looked at the birthdates of the couples that played them together on screen.

Kirk Alyn
    October 8, 1910
    Noel Neill
    November 25, 1920
    Clark is older.

George Reeves
    January 5, 1914
    Phyllis Coates
    January 15, 1927
    Clark is older.

David Wilson
    February 26, 1949
    Lesley Ann Warren
    August 16, 1946
    Lois is older.

Christopher Reeve
    September 25, 1952
    Margot Kidder
    October 17, 1948
    Lois is older.

Dean Cain
    July 31, 1966
    Teri Hatcher
    December 8, 1964
    Lois is older.

Tom Welling
    April 26, 1977
    Erica Durance
    June 21, 1978
    Clark is older.

Brandon Routh
    October 9, 1979
    Kate Bosworth
    January 2, 1983
    Clark is older.

Henry Cavill
    May 5, 1983
    Amy Adams
    August 20, 1974
    Lois is older.

Tyler Hoechlin
    September 11, 1987
    Bitsie Tulloch
    January 19, 1981
    Lois is older.

So out of nine pairings. Lois has been played by an older actress. And in the case of Erica Durance and Tom Welling on SMALLVILLE, Lois is supposed to be older even though Durance is a year younger.

I didn't bother to look at all the Lois & Clark duos in animation, but with Bud Collyer and Joan Alexander--from radio and animation--Clark is older--

Bud Collyer
    June 18, 1908
    Joan Alexander
    April 16, 1915

Still it seems to me that since the 1970s it's been the trend for Lois to be older than Clark--maybe not in-story, but in terms of the actors playing them.

I’ve read (somewhere) that Lois is intended to be a few years older than Clark, owing to her already being an established reporter at the Daily Planet when he (Clark) arrives in Metropolis to start his career(s).

I’ll keep Googling but if anyone can corroborate that I’d appreciate it.
    Anyway, that’s how I think of them age wise.

Retired

It makes sense given the classic story of Superman, where Lois is already a reporter before Clark arrives. Of course, she doesn't have to be older for that to be the case--Clark could have just been doing other things.

What got me thinking about this were the reviews of the latest Will Ferrell movie (the one about the Eurovision song contest) where he and Rachel McAdams are supposed to be the same age but clearly are not. And reviewers pass this off as typical Hollywood casting. It's always an older male paired with a younger female. But then I thought, there are rare exceptions to the rule and Superman seems to be one of them.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Lois being a year or two older makes a bit of sense. In most versions she's already working at the Planet by the time Clark gets there.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

In many Superman origin stories like Man of Steel and Birthright, they have Clark taking a few years to travel before settling in Metropolis, usually arriving when he's about 25-26. It's not inconceivable that Lois would already be a highly regarded reporter by the time Clark came to Metropolis while also being the same age at the same time.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    In many Superman origin stories like Man of Steel and Birthright, they have Clark taking a few years to travel before settling in Metropolis, usually arriving when he's about 25-26. It's not inconceivable that Lois would already be a highly regarded reporter by the time Clark came to Metropolis while also being the same age at the same time.
    Yeah that def. throws a wrench into the scenario.

I could swear I vaguely remember a letters column from pre Crisis days saying that Lois was a little younger than Clark,
    Which doesn't make much sense because she was working at the Planet before Clark, and they both went to college. I can make up an explanation that Lois is so bright that she graduated from high school and college early, while Clark did the full experience because he didn't want to call attention to himself.
    I had forgotten how much older Amy Adams is than Cavill. She looks a lot younger than her age, so they still feel like contemporaries.

Retired

I think Lois Lane went to the school of hard knocks. She seems more like the kind who learned by doing, rather than going to journalism school.

Pre-Crisis, there were a few comics where Clark and Lois met as teens and they always seemed to be about the same age. However, those stories didn't always count.

I wonder if the inverse is true for Batman/Catwoman. I think Bruce is more often depicted as being older than Selina.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if the inverse is true for Batman/Catwoman. I think Bruce is more often depicted as being older than Selina.
    I liked the set up on the GOTHAM tv series. Selina was older (2 1/2 years, going by the actors’ actual ages), AND taller. Bruce was obviously smitten w. the out of his age range Selina and she used that to her advantage, stringing the “kid” along. As the show progressed though, he caught up to her in height and real world experience, becoming a competent fighter and wiser than his years, and Selina was def. not looking at him as just a kid any more.

After the time skip at the end, that 2 1/2 year age difference wouldn’t really be a big deal to two twenty somethings who liked each other.

Extraordinary Member

In Birthright, I think it was stated that Clark took his sweet time getting his college degree, mostly taking online courses while working for a lot of smaller papers across the world. While MOS really didn't cover his college education, in both they definitely have him being 25-26 when he arrives in Metropolis.

As for Batman and Catwoman, in the original Year One, they had him arriving in Gotham at the age of 25 (that really seems to be the magic number here, doesn't it?). They never really mentioned Selina's age until her mini (Her Sister's Keeper) a few years later. I want to say she started her training with Ted Grant between the ages of 17-19 after getting assaulted by her pimp Stan. I'm almost certain she wasn't 20 yet.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I like Lois to be older, but it's not a pre-req. Pretty interesting to me now that both Cavill and Hoechlin are several years younger than Adams and Tulloch - with Adams in particular being like nine years older than Cavill! But I'm okay with that honestly.

Remember the bit from Superman the Movie where Clark was like, a senior in high school while Lois was a little girl - even though Margot Kidder was older than Chris Reeve?
    That always bugged me. I don't have anything else to say about it, but I never really liked that scene.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Remember the bit from Superman the Movie where Clark was like, a senior in high school while Lois was a little girl - even though Margot Kidder was older than Chris Reeve?
    That always bugged me. I don't have anything else to say about it, but I never really liked that scene.
    That's one of those scenes that was cute when I was a kid, but I ended up dismissing as a semi-cynical adult.

I like them about the same age, give or take, maybe within +/- two years. I never understood why fans insisted Lois be older for any reasons other than she's farther along her career than Superman, but not everyone settles into their first career they select at the age of 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think Lois Lane went to the school of hard knocks. She seems more like the kind who learned by doing, rather than going to journalism school.

Pre-Crisis, there were a few comics where Clark and Lois met as teens and they always seemed to be about the same age. However, those stories didn't always count.
    I'm reading a lot of Silver Age Superman lately, and there's several stories where Lois having gone to college is brought up.
    I head canon that she was so bright she graduated early, which gives her a leg up on Clark so that she's working at the Planet before him.

Interesting. I wonder how that intersects with my headcanon that Pre-Crisis Kal is older than he "should" be, because he spends so much time in the 30th century with the Legionnaires.

I guess it could explain how Clark looks like he's in his early twenties in late high school during the Mike Grell era - and maybe why he looks so much older than a college freshman when he meets Lori Lemaris, although in reality I know these are just quirks of having different artists with different approaches.

Still, if that's the case, maybe Lois needs to be "older" than Clark at some point if they're to be the same age for most of their careers! Which means Clark just looks old for his "age" I suppose, although Superman could presumably just say his real age including time travel...

Too much detail? Eh, too much detail.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."