Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
It makes sense given the classic story of Superman, where Lois is already a reporter before Clark arrives. Of course, she doesn't have to be older for that to be the case--Clark could have just been doing other things.

What got me thinking about this were the reviews of the latest Will Ferrell movie (the one about the Eurovision song contest) where he and Rachel McAdams are supposed to be the same age but clearly are not. And reviewers pass this off as typical Hollywood casting. It's always an older male paired with a younger female. But then I thought, there are rare exceptions to the rule and Superman seems to be one of them.
I’m sort of the opinion that I don’t need or require an “explanation” for why she’s older exactly for the reason you stated above regarding how rare it is.

Like, yes, it “makes sense” for Lois to be an experienced reporter when Clark shows up but...I can’t explain it....having to provide a reason why Lois is older has just never sat well with me. Because we never ask men to explain why they are older for a narrative. They just are.

There are so few genuine love stories between older women/younger men in fiction and Lois and Clark is one of the only ones we have. The others I guess would be Jaime and Claire from Outlander (Claire is supposed to be 6-7 years older than Jaime but the actors are the same age) and Anakin and Padme (which we know how that turned out.). It’s just such a rare wonderful thing to just have a man desire a more experienced woman ::just because:: and for her age to never be a thing that needs explaining.