Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Underrated Justice League Runs

What are some Justice League runs that don't get talked about enough?

I've recently finished all 113 of the 1987-1996 Justice League title. The first 60 issues spanned the Keith Giffen JM Dematteis run. It's one of the most acclained runs by a creative team in the history of superhero comics, so it's no fault of the following Justice League writers Dan Jurgens and Dan Vado that their runs pale in comparison. However to my suprise, I found the final creative team on this volume of Justice League to be just as good as the Giffen/Dematteis era.

Gerard Jones and Chuck's 21 issues of Justice League perfectly balanced character development such as Obsidian coming out as gay and Blue Devil overcoming his selfish aspirations for a movie career with energetic action and humor which hits far more than it misses.

Like most comics, it's not perfect. Deadshot was written oht of character in the Underworld Unleashed tie in and there is some 90s silliness, but the Jones/Wojtkiewicz Justice League was an era of the team which is equal in quality to Giffen/Dematteis and Morrison's more aclaimed runs.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 07-01-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Brightest Day: Justice League Generation Lost by Giffen and Winnick.

My Top Two favorites would be...

• Formerly Known as the Justice League

• I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League

I’m not ashamed to say I enjoyed the Detroit era JLA. The “new characters join a few veterans to create a fresh line up” formula is something I’ve always liked. Unfortunately, it’s not a formula that works for a team like the JLA, which has such an iconic 7 member roster. I wish this line up had really gotten a chance, though.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    What are some Justice League runs that don't get talked about enough?

I've recently finished all 113 of the 1987-1996 Justice League title. The first 60 issues spanned the Keith Giffen JM Dematteis run. It's one of the most acclained runs by a creative team in the history of superhero comics, so it's no fault of the following Justice League writers Dan Jurgens and Dan Vado that their runs pale in comparison. However to my suprise, I found the final creative team on this volume of Justice League to be just as good as the Giffen/Dematteis era.

Gerard Jones and Chuck 21 issues of Justice League perfectly balanced character development such as Obsidian coming out as gay and Blue Devil overcoming his selfish aspirations for a movie career with energetic action and humor which hits far more than it misses.

Like most comics, it's not perfect. Deadshot was written oht of character in the Underworld Unleashed tie in and there is some 90s silliness, but the Jones/Wojtkiewicz Justice League was an era of the team which is equal in quality to Giffen/Dematteis and Morrison's more aclaimed runs.
    Wow, really? I remember despising it when I read it when I was younger.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Wow, really? I remember despising it when I read it when I was younger.
    Of the little discussion I've seen online of the last 20 issues of Justice League before being relaunched as Morrison's JLA, all of it's been negative. I liked it.

Maybe I'm just so enthusiatic about the Jones/Wozjtkiewicz issues because comparatively the latter portion of the Dan Vado run and Waid/Priest's Justice League Task Force were so terrible in my eyes.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 07-01-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

What is Giffen doing? Has he retired or something?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Wow, so that makes 2 of us that actually liked that run. I enjoyed the mixing of new and old elements - the roster, the satellite base, etc.

Many dislike the soap opera feel Jones brought to the stories, but I'm a sucker for drama I guess.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

It's a tough thing to think of underrated JL runs because most of the good ones are well-rated enough. I don't think Meltzer's run gets mentioned enough, but it's not underrated.

My answer would be the few issues Priest got to write after Hitch's run wrapped up, which were Justice League Vol. 3, #34-43.

I'd have liked that run to have lasted longer, and I'd love to see Priest as the next regular JL writer. He doesn't seem to have anything lined up since his great run on Deathstroke.