Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Top 10 Women of colors characters?

I got into an interesting conversation about diversity in that while the male side of DC has a lot of strong characters of color (John, Cyborg, Jaime, Static, Jefferson, Kyle, Simon...etc) the female side of things is severely lacking. So I decided to make a thread and see who everyone would list as the top 10. Here’s mine:

1) Bumblebee
    2) Vixen
    3) Katana
    4) Jessica Cruz
    5) Amanda Waller
    6) Cassandra Cain
    7) Renee Montoya
    8) Ravager
    9) Fire
    10) Darla Dudley

I’ll explain my choices if anyone is curious. What do you think?

hmmm I'm gonna stick contemporary and list who I think are the top 10 priorities right now:

1. Jessica Cruz - definitely their go-to woman of color right now, I'd hesitate to say she's their token because I actually like a lot of what's been done with her but she's kinda become DC's prize inclusivity pony
    2. Vixen - DC's biggest female token of color, they'll parade her out as fast as they can so she'll probably never fall into obscurity, but she's yet to get a proper solo in nearly 40 years.
    3. Kendra Saunders - this one is kinda up in the air because she's only recently been reintroduced and was primarily significant for Snyder's Justice League. we do not know how much DC will keep that momentum going after the fact.
    4. Amanda Waller - Suicide Squad has cemented her as a pivotal supporting character for the entire DC universe. she's doing good.
    5. Cassandra Cain - she is ninja kung fu, ninjas are awesome, kung fu is awesome, you can't get more effortlessly cool (therefore effortlessly marketable) than that. plus her stint as Batgirl has made her irreplaceably popular, but she's shackled to Batman and thus will always get lower priority and quicker to be messed with for his benefit unfortunately.
    6. Katana - awesome character, criminally underused but at least she's had more solo issues that Vixen. I think while Katana has solo/lead potential, she's been pigeonholed as a support/ensemble player.
    7. Renee Montoya - I don't know much but she's largely become a fun cameo character
    8. Anissa Pierce - doesn't exist in continuity right now and therefore DC does not think twice about her but she is so linked to Black Lightning that she'll almost always pop up in other media. (pssst DC, give me Teen Titan age Thunder you cowards!)
    9. Helena Bertinelli - she's only recently become a woman of color and since then she's become more and more of a supporting background character.
    10. Talia Al Ghul - probably DC's biggest villainous woman of color, she's pretty awesome when written well, and Damian has further cemented her in the DC universe forever. unfortunately I don't think DC's been able to make the al Ghuls feels as threatening or as important as they could/used to be.

honorable mentions: Lady Shiva, Naomi McDuffie, Silencer. Naomi and Honor are too new to call if DC will end up developing them properly and Lady Shiva is hella cool and should be used more.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-29-2020 at 06:36 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Mighty Member

1) Dawnstar
    2) Lady Shiva
    3) Cheshire
    4) Shadow Lass (I don't know if blue skinned aliens count, but another favourite legionairre)
    5) Cassandra Cain
    6) Vixen
    7) Fire
    8) Bumblebee
    9) Shado
    10) Fuerza

Fantastic Member

1. Nubia
    2. Vixen
    3. Jessica Cruz
    4.Bumblebee
    5.Cassandra Cain
    6.Lady Shiva
    7.Katana
    8.Talia Al Ghul
    9.Amanda Waller
    10.Renee Montoya

My honorable mention will be Djinn from the current Teen Titans run. Very interesting character with a beautiful design. I hope she sticks around for many years to come.

Nubia is my number one not because of anything she has done but more of my personal interest and the interest I think other people have for the character. We haven't seen her in years but comic book fans still mention her and want to see her in modern comics. Vixen is in the same boat hasn't had a solo run in many years but is still recognized by the comic book fandom. Jessica Cruz is the newest character on the list but see may not be recognized by most but her writing and growth has been really well done. She presented not only Latinas in comics extremely well but also people who suffer from mental health issues. Making her creation one that I think was greatly needed in modern comics.

1. Cassandra Cain
    2. Linda Park
    3. Amanda Waller
    4. Vixen
    5. Renee Montoya
    6. Lorena Marquez
    8. Jessica Cruz
    7. Traci 13
    8. Jo Mollien
    9. Naomi McDuffie
    10. Natasha Irons

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    1) Dawnstar
    2) Lady Shiva
    3) Cheshire
    4) Shadow Lass (I don't know if blue skinned aliens count, but another favourite legionairre)
    5) Cassandra Cain
    6) Vixen
    7) Fire
    8) Bumblebee
    9) Shado
    10) Fuerza
    this, this sparks joy! I was starting to think I was the only one who thought Fuerza was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I got into an interesting conversation about diversity in that while the male side of DC has a lot of strong characters of color (John, Cyborg, Jaime, Static, Jefferson, Kyle, Simon...etc) the female side of things is severely lacking. So I decided to make a thread and see who everyone would list as the top 10. Here’s mine:

1) Bumblebee
    2) Vixen
    3) Katana
    4) Jessica Cruz
    5) Amanda Waller
    6) Cassandra Cain
    7) Renee Montoya
    8) Ravager
    9) Fire
    10) Darla Dudley

I would like to hear the reasoning for your choices, I'm curious about what your criteria were.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-29-2020 at 02:55 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

My 10(in no particular order):

Amanda Waller
    Bumblebee
    Darla Shazam
    Dr. Light
    Dr. Poison II
    Fire
    Isis
    Osira(Heinberg/Dodson version)
    Rima
    Vixen
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

1)KATANA: She is the most used in outside media (live action and animation), has held a solo title and is a member of the Suicide Squad, Outsiders and Justice League.

2)AMANDA WALLER: Also someone who pops up in everything DC related, whether its live action or animation. She also leads the Suicide Squad and held her own against Batman

3)BUMBLEBEE: Has a ton of exposure thanks to DC Superhero Girls, always shows up in anything Teen Titans related. First Black female superhero for DC! She’d be higher but she’s missing a live action interpretation (likely coming soon thanks to Doom Patrol and Titans having shows.

4)VIXEN: Shows up in anything JL related, has a live action interpretation and was playable in Iniustice 2.

5)JESSICA CRUZ: A new character but she’s everywhere right now. She has gotten a huge push and a lot of exposure thanks to Superhero Girls. She’s currently DC’a go to woman of color.

6)RENEE MONTOYA: Has several live action and animated appearances. She’s a big part of the GCPD and was for a time Batwoman’s love interest. Just made her big screen debut a couple months ago.

7)FIRE: Appears in most Justice League related media and has several live action interpretations.

8)CASSANDRA CAIN: Has the most solo issues of any woman of color (DC or Marvel) but is rarely used outside comics. She just made both her big screen and animated debuts, though in name only for the formers

9)THUNDER & LIGHTNING: Play a big part on the Black Lightning show and have had animated appearances before (SHG, DC Nation)

10)CHESHIRE: Usually appears in anything Teen Titans related. Has had several animated appearances and will likely get the liveaction treatment soon.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

I'm just numbering to keep count, there is no order

1. Jessica Cruz- I've been following her stories since her New 52 appearance, plus I love the Green Lanterns
    2. Steel (Natasha Irons)
    3. Lightning and Thunder-I love the JSA and I like the Outsiders (plus Thunder and Grace Choi are a nice couple in comics and tv)
    4. XS-Long Live the Legion
    5. Naomi
    6. Kid Quantum- Again the Legion
    7. Kendra Saunders- While its confusing with the whole Hawkwoman reborn thing, Kendra is Hispanic.
    8. Cassandra Cain
    9. Avery Ho- Look I liked New-Superman and I like her appearances in Flash
    10. Grace Choi- Hey if I can bring Thunder into this why not Grace, plus she was around for a lot of the Outsiders (bring her back please).
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    1)KATANA: She is the most used in outside media (live action and animation), has held a solo title and is a member of the Suicide Squad, Outsiders and Justice League.

2)AMANDA WALLER: Also someone who pops up in everything DC related, whether its live action or animation. She also leads the Suicide Squad and held her own against Batman

3)BUMBLEBEE: Has a ton of exposure thanks to DC Superhero Girls, always shows up in anything Teen Titans related. First Black female superhero for DC! She’d be higher but she’s missing a live action interpretation (likely coming soon thanks to Doom Patrol and Titans having shows.

4)VIXEN: Shows up in anything JL related, has a live action interpretation and was playable in Iniustice 2.

5)JESSICA CRUZ: A new character but she’s everywhere right now. She has gotten a huge push and a lot of exposure thanks to Superhero Girls. She’s currently DC’a go to woman of color.

6)RENEE MONTOYA: Has several live action and animated appearances. She’s a big part of the GCPD and was for a time Batwoman’s love interest. Just made her big screen debut a couple months ago.

7)FIRE: Appears in most Justice League related media and has several live action interpretations.

8)CASSANDRA CAIN: Has the most solo issues of any woman of color (DC or Marvel) but is rarely used outside comics. She just made both her big screen and animated debuts, though in name only for the formers

9)THUNDER & LIGHTNING: Play a big part on the Black Lightning show and have had animated appearances before (SHG, DC Nation)

10)CHESHIRE: Usually appears in anything Teen Titans related. Has had several animated appearances and will likely get the liveaction treatment soon.
    I'd go with El_Gato's list, it's pretty much mine as well, with honorable mentions to Kendra/Hawkgirl (thanks to her appearance on the WB's Flash and Legends of Tomorrows), and Isis (who had her own show, ever so long ago!), XS (Flash!) and Talia al-Ghul (Arrow appearances keeping her at least higher profile than, say, Kimiyo/Dr. Light). Sadly the other Legion ladies of color, Dawnstar, Kid Quantum II, Catspaw, Glorith, Dragonwing and Harmonia Li, seem to be mostly forgotten, with only Dawnstar even existing in the current lineup.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 06-29-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Mighty Member

Started with a LSH based list and then added a couple of Titans.

1. Shadow Lass
    2. XS
    3. Dawnstar
    4. Kid Quantum
    5. Computo (Danielle Foccart)
    6. Monstress
    7. Silver Slasher
    8. Infectious Lass
    9. Starfire
    10. Bumblebee

Mine are...

Vixen
    Bumblebee
    Sky Rocket
    Thunder
    Fire
    Cassandra Cain
    Female Wildcat
    Lady Shiva
    Isis
    Tarantula

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

1. Renee Montoya
    2. Vixen
    3. Artemis (Amazon- when drawn by Phil Jimenez or Yanick Paquette)
    4. Jessica Cruz
    5. Philippus
    6. YJ Artemis Crock
    7. Linda Park
    8. Cassandra Cain
    9. Amanda Waller
    10. Talia al Ghul

1. Jessica Cruz
    2. Vixen
    3. Artemis (Young Justice)
    4. Cheshire (Young Justice)
    5. Nubia
    6. Philipus
    7. Isis
    8. Darla Dudley/Shazam
    9. Dr. Poison
    10. Nathasha Irons

Honorable mention: Earth Kitt's Catwoman.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post

1) Bumblebee
    2) Vixen
    3) Katana
    4) Jessica Cruz
    5) Amanda Waller
    6) Cassandra Cain
    7) Renee Montoya
    8) Ravager
    9) Fire
    10) Darla Dudley

My list. Not entirely sure on the rankings outside of the number one

1) Amanda Waller
    2) Cassandra Cain
    3) Katana
    4) Jessica Cruz
    5) Renee Montoya
    6) Vixen
    7) Bumblebee
    8) Cheshire
    9) Talia Al-Ghul
    10) Lady Shiva

Honorable mentions: Thunder & Lightning, Nubia, Artemis Crock, Fire, Jo Mullein