Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Any updates on "The Other History of the DC Universe"?

For me, this book was easily one of the most anticipated projects DC had lined up and then it all but disappeared amid rumors of a possible lawsuit because another creator had submitted the same idea years earlier.

The last I heard was that the legal wrangling over the previous similar pitch was settled and that the main cause for delay was that the art team was being rejiggered to include some more top-shelf talent, rather than have the whole thing drawn by one artist, which sounds like a great idea to me.

Has anyone heard anything new?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    For me, this book was easily one of the most anticipated projects DC had lined up and then it all but disappeared amid rumors of a possible lawsuit because another creator had submitted the same idea years earlier.

The last I heard was that the legal wrangling over the previous similar pitch was settled and that the main cause for delay was that the art team was being rejiggered to include some more top-shelf talent, rather than have the whole thing drawn by one artist, which sounds like a great idea to me.

Has anyone heard anything new?
    It's not breathing anymore Bored, I'm very sorry to say so.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It's not breathing anymore Bored, I'm very sorry to say so.
    Why do you say that?

Well, we got absolutely no news about it, while it should have been released a long time ago by now (unless I'm mistaken about the initial release date? I seem to remember somewhere in the first half of 2019 but I can be wrong here) and it has quietly been unheard off for so long, I suspect DC entirely dropped the idea - like many others recently, sadly.

Bleeding Cool ran a bit about it a few weeks back. The inside scoop is the art is being overhauled to be higher profile befitting the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Bleeding Cool ran a bit about it a few weeks back. The inside scoop is the art is being overhauled to be higher profile befitting the story.
    Yes, that's what I read as well. I was hoping someone had anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well, we got absolutely no news about it, while it should have been released a long time ago by now (unless I'm mistaken about the initial release date? I seem to remember somewhere in the first half of 2019 but I can be wrong here) and it has quietly been unheard off for so long, I suspect DC entirely dropped the idea - like many others recently, sadly.
    It was assumed to be cancelled, yeah, but, if Rich Johnson's little birds are right, the project is getting an art revamp.

Boy, do I hope he's right.

John Stewart, Black Lightning, Vixen, and Extrano were reportedly the protagonists. That sounds like a great mix of characters.

Supergirl was another that was supposed to headline an issue or story.

Supergirl was another that was supposed to headline an issue or story.
    Interesting. I'm sure it will mine a lot of the stuff that the DC Super Hero Girls reboot has, with Kara's work being attributed to her more famous cousin.

Interesting. I'm sure it will mine a lot of the stuff that the DC Super Hero Girls reboot has, with Kara's work being attributed to her more famous cousin.
    I figured he was going to dive more into the immigration and culture clash aspect of Kara's character.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I figured he was going to dive more into the immigration and culture clash aspect of Kara's character.
    that would be the preferred direction, this book was supposed to touch on marginalized groups and social issues, correct? Immigration seems more fitting than the woes of having a more famous cousin.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    that would be the preferred direction, this book was supposed to touch on marginalized groups and social issues, correct? Immigration seems more fitting than the woes of having a more famous cousin.
    Not to mention it just doesn't fit Kara's comic character much.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I could see it going that way or something about women being more marginalized than men. We'll just have to wait and see.

I could see it going that way or something about women being more marginalized than men. We'll just have to wait and see.
    That's what I was thinking.

Supergirl and Superman are a great way to show how society and our media portray people of similar expertise, but when one of them is a young woman. I don't think this book is looking to play it safe in terms of politics. At least I hope it's not.

This doesn't have to make Superman look bad either, which I think DC Super Hero Girls does, because everyone on that show is meant to be deeply and comedically flawed.

I mean, there was an election a few years ago in which a horribly unqualified man won an election against a woman with decades more experience about the Presidency. I can't remember who it involved though.

Lots of meat on that bone.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 07-01-2020 at 09:55 PM.

That's what I was thinking.

Supergirl and Superman are a great way to show how society and our media portray people of similar expertise, but when one of them is a young woman. I don't think this book is looking to play it safe in terms of politics. At least I hope it's not.

This doesn't have to make Superman look bad either, which I think DC Super Hero Girls does, because everyone on that show is meant to be deeply and comedically flawed.

I mean, there was an election a few years ago in which a horribly unqualified woman won an election against a woman with decades more experience about the Presidency. I can't remember who it involved though.

Lots of meat on that bone.
    Don't you mean a man :P?

I agree there's a lot to unpack and explore with that development but I don't think it's something that particularly relevant to Superman/Supergirl. If anything it seems like more of a story you'd tell with Batgirl.