Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

What could we do about Osria and Saturna(aka Evilness). We need a little alien sci

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What could we do about Osria and Saturna(aka Evilness). We need a little alien sci
    I would axe the name Evilness but keep Osria and Saturna. Sister alien warlords with vast energy manipulation on top of whatever their golden age power sets were. I love the amazon's as star explorers so my idea would be that before Diana was created/born Hippolyta's sister, Melanippe, who is also Ares's daughter, sets off an a huge ark sort of space craft to meet and establish contact with other worlds. She meets the two alien sister and they capture her and her amazons, not before they sent out a distress call. The call finally reaches Themyscira in modern times with Diana around and Diana discovers this and goes searching for her lost sisters. Diana meets Saturna and Saturna lies and tries to manipulate Diana into believing she is a "good guy" (it doesn't work cause Diana sees with the eyes of truth and stuff like that doesn't work on her) Diana plays along until Saturna brings Diana to her ruling planet. Its this huge planetoid with massive plant busting cannons on it and its emanating a strange energy. Diana still playing along, meets Osira; they have a chat, Diana subtlety notes that she knows what's happening, A trap is sprung, Diana out numbered "loses" and they throw her in prison. Diana meets her aunt, reunion, they bust out, and Diana brings them home.

I just came up with that in like 5 minutes so, I'd have to go back and add some more detail but, that's the basic premise of the story.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Also it's "Eviless" The name is still dumb. Super-powered space invaders are a good option though. UUH! maybe have WW fight Maxima too!

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Also it's "Eviless" The name is still dumb. Super-powered space invaders are a good option though. UUH! maybe have WW fight Maxima too!
    Superpowered space invaders are perhaps the most cliched villain threat in comics.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This the genre that gave us Sinestro, Dr. Doom and Mr. Sinister.

Eviless isn't any more dumb than a lot of the other names we take as a given now.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Speaking of Eris... I actually like Eris from the Nu52, I feel like there is a lot of cool potential for her. Acting as sort of a neutral but "screw everyone" trickster Goddess that particularly enjoys Diana's suffering is a nice villain role for Eris. I even like her design too.
    Strife was the MVP of that run. I loved her so much, and wish she would stick around, continuity be damned.

Her just breezing in (drink in hand), stirring up drama for the lols, and breezing back out periodically throughout the books would be delightful. Just a glorious pain in Diana's ass that she can't really do anything about.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 07-13-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Eviless isn't any more dumb than a lot of the other names we take as a given now.
    There's one major difference between these three and Eviless though: they're big characters in their respective franchises with decades upon decades of iconic stories, so it doesn't really matter what they're called. Eviless is just some obscure character from the 40's and a pretty generic one at that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post

There's one major difference between these three and Eviless though: they're big characters in their respective franchises with decades upon decades of iconic stories, so it doesn't really matter what they're called. Eviless is just some obscure character from the 40's and a pretty generic one at that.
    Agreed.

Even as a Female Fury, Eviless would still sound lame.

There's also Atrocitus who is relatively recent with an absurd name.

I'm fine with Eviless. Is she a super prominent villain? No. But historically she was the leader of Wondy's 40's rogues gallery and that doesn't count for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

I'm fine with Eviless. Is she a super prominent villain? No. But historically she was the leader of Wondy's 40's rogues gallery and that doesn't count for nothing.
    I wouldn't go so far as she was the leader of the rogues' gallery in the 40s. She organised a supervillain team in a single issue, and AFAIK that was the first such. But compared to Paula von Gunther, Ares, or even Doctor Poison, she is hardly prominent.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as she was the leader of the rogues' gallery in the 40s. She organised a supervillain team in a single issue, and AFAIK that was the first such. But compared to Paula von Gunther, Ares, or even Doctor Poison, she is hardly prominent.
    I'd say Dr. Poison is barely a level above Eviless in terms of importance, at least before Eric Luke duster her off. I'd say the notable team up of these villain in the Golden Age in one of the more well known single issues from the run elevates the ladies in that group above most of the other Golden Age foes. Cheetah and Giganta are the only real big names there, along with none of them save Cheetah being on the level of Mars, Paula and Psycho, but it's still noteworthy. While Eviless herself isn't always around in that period, she is tied to a threat that is in multiple issues. The invading Saturn aliens are in #s 10 and 11 I believe, and a similar character Saturnette also appears (believed to basically be the same character). I think all the members of Villainy INC need to be revamped.

Eviless is obscure and under developed and has a silly name, but that basically describes every single character in the rogues gallery barring a relative handful. Even the big names don't have too much to consistently brag about, so it feels weird to single out Eviless. Especially like Nyssane said when modern comics still gives us the lives of Atrocitus, puking blood over everything.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Okay, this is maybe being too ambitious... but:

Ares.../Mars

A much more withdrawn and restrained version of the character; he’s very rarely actually fought, and in fact his heart usually doesn’t seem in it, contrary to his usual depictions. He’s also a mix of the classic “dark hoplite” look and the old man with bloody feet version from Azzarello’s run, with the latter being his usual appearance, and the former a rarely seen but nigh-unstoppable aspect of him.

Here’s how it goes:

- When the age of classical Greece ended, there was a war in Olympus... again. Zeus, blamed for the fall of Greece to the Romans and their pantheon, was deposed by Athena, making good on the fear he had long ago that any child born of his union with Metis would overthrow him. To depose Zeus, Athena made a bargain with Ares, granting him some of her wisdom and strategy aspects in exchange for his support.

- Athena then brought war to the Roman pantheon, wherein the conquering gods would absorb their counterparts. Ares did so, reveling in this greatest of victories against his counterpart, Mars... but this also meant that he acquired even more knowledge - Mars is a soldier’s god, not a warrior’s.

- These accumulated perspectives and wisdom slowly gnawed away at Ares’s usual personality, as he completely merged opposing aspects of himself and Mars with a bit of Athena’s wisdom to become something painful... introspective. Ares now understands the sheer, wearying nature of war, the sometimes nihilistic and meaningless side of it, even as he continues to revel in the bloodshed and murder.

-This results in a colder, more philosophical version of Ares; he knows that any conflict feeds him, but no longer desires to play favorites, is significantly more mature, and every once in a while actually has pangs of existential discontent with his purpose in godhood. So... he begins playing great “games” against himself, spreading his favor to any who fight, and giving his children greater autonomy, and struggling to fight off boredom and find some greater meaning behind conflict than conflict itself.

-This is why modern Ares appears in the War guise, similar to Azzarello’s Verizon, and why he’s perfectly willing to tutor and train Diana as a potential successor. He doesn’t let her know who he is at first; she begins thinking he must be Zeus in disguise, and he doesn’t dissuade her.

-She discovers who he is, and what his ultimate goal is - to encourage internecine conflict between the gods and demigods until one finally gets powerful enough too challenge him and take his job and his immortal life. His armored form only appears whenever one of the “competitors” has broken the “rules” of his game: whenever his sons and daughters try to gang up on a superior opponent, or when Athena tries to end the game with her godlike power (yes, he’s trying to draw her into it as well)... or whenever Diana tries to end the conflict without death.

-Because Diana is the most spirited and determined of his “gladiators,” he begins to show some favoritism towards her, as he did towards some of his older champions... but it is a poison chalice; he also seeks to turn her sisters and her students against her, and is all about encouraging her worst impulses. And the fact he’s aggravating Athena means that he may very well succeed some day in pitting Athena against Diana...
    This take reminded me of this change someone proposed on YouTube.

Extraordinary Member

I'd say Dr. Poison is barely a level above Eviless in terms of importance, at least before Eric Luke duster her off. I'd say the notable team up of these villain in the Golden Age in one of the more well known single issues from the run elevates the ladies in that group above most of the other Golden Age foes. Cheetah and Giganta are the only real big names there, along with none of them save Cheetah being on the level of Mars, Paula and Psycho, but it's still noteworthy. While Eviless herself isn't always around in that period, she is tied to a threat that is in multiple issues. The invading Saturn aliens are in #s 10 and 11 I believe, and a similar character Saturnette also appears (believed to basically be the same character). I think all the members of Villainy INC need to be revamped.

Eviless is obscure and under developed and has a silly name, but that basically describes every single character in the rogues gallery barring a relative handful. Even the big names don't have too much to consistently brag about, so it feels weird to single out Eviless. Especially like Nyssane said when modern comics still gives us the lives of Atrocitus, puking blood over everything.
    Yeah. I always thought Saturnette WAS the modern take on Eviless.

In Marston's Saturna was a human slave trader. So we keep that with Oscira she had ties to ancient Egypt. So should we keep those? Also, God watch and Villiay inc. How would they fit in this group?

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I mean, she was leader of Villainy Inc. which was comprised of basically every prominent female rogue in WW's gallery with the exception of Ares, Psycho, and Deception. Even if it was just for one issue, it's more than any of her other enemies can say.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Here's the scenario: DC has done yet another reboot, and now you have the opportunity to revamp Diana's Rogues gallery with no baggage. What do you do?

I'll start with an example. One of the characters in the conversation for Diana's archenemesis: Circe.

To me, Villains need a strong point of thematic contrast with the hero, and for Circe and Diana, that contrast would be Compassion. Diana cares about everyone, She's willing to help anyone. Circe, by contrast, is a hedonist. She cares about herself first, a small number of family second, and could give a rat's ass about anyone else. She's essentially a magic female Rick Sanchez.
    The new JLD Circe has a motivation that puts her squarely on collision course, with Wonder Woman. She was once a loving and heroic sorceress princess, who used her magic to protect her people, but, they betrayed her. When she killed the abusive king, whom they forced her to marry, to secure a peace treaty, ..they drove her to the ends of the Earth. While, she exists solely to punish, subjugate and destroy the cowardly and pathetic mortals, who condemned her...

Wonder Woman fights for freedom for all mankind. She will not rest, until Circe's dreams of conquest are over.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-15-2020 at 07:30 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!