Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I had a similar idea for Blue Snowman in regards to "Evil Ironman", using old Iron Man concept of she needs the suit to survive due an accident with the "Blue Snow" formula has been gradually turning her into a living ice elemental and needs the suit to counteract it/interact with the world.
    I like the idea of leaning into Byrna being a robotics expert (I posted about her using a robotic army a while back in this thread), however this I'd be afraid of it basically making her into Batman's Mr. Freeze. When it comes to both of Wonder Woman's ice based baddies, I'd say Minister Blizzard would be more based on the magical side of things where Blue Snowman is based more on the sci fi element. This way we get the best of both magic and science fiction.

First Born: same origin and motivations with some minor changes. He is still the first child of Hera and Zeus, he also posses the desire to overthrow his father and rule the universe, and he still has his history of conquering the earth before the start of civilization. I consider First Born as an evil He-man so to speak. Someone with insane physical prowess that can do the unthinkable, like when he held open a boomtube. He's also stupidly durable and has an insane healing factor. He uses brute strength and rage to accomplish his desires while having a conqueror's intellect of war tactics and planning. Like Doomsday with a brain. I'd add a He-man style harness to his design and a helmet.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    First Born: same origin and motivations with some minor changes. He is still the first child of Hera and Zeus, he also posses the desire to overthrow his father and rule the universe, and he still has his history of conquering the earth before the start of civilization. I consider First Born as an evil He-man so to speak. Someone with insane physical prowess that can do the unthinkable, like when he held open a boomtube. He's also stupidly durable and has an insane healing factor. He uses brute strength and rage to accomplish his desires while having a conqueror's intellect of war tactics and planning. Like Doomsday with a brain. I'd add a He-man style harness to his design and a helmet.
    Basically, First Born is the Kurgan.

For my money, that's perfecto! As I see it, the modern Diana is a female Highlander, with the Amazon backstory, mission and powers, attached. I think her archenemy should be a physical match for Diana, determined to subjugate all living things to her service ..and have a mystical background, similar to hers. I differ only in that my Kurgan would...must be a woman, and Queen Clea is tailor-made for the role.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 11-11-2020 at 03:04 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I like the idea of leaning into Byrna being a robotics expert (I posted about her using a robotic army a while back in this thread), however this I'd be afraid of it basically making her into Batman's Mr. Freeze. When it comes to both of Wonder Woman's ice based baddies, I'd say Minister Blizzard would be more based on the magical side of things where Blue Snowman is based more on the sci fi element. This way we get the best of both magic and science fiction.
    Byrna using blue snowbots is essential to her character in my opinion -- she was smart enough to use them in the 40's stories so why not have it continue to the modern era?

She also used the bots in her small appearance in the New 52.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Byrna using blue snowbots is essential to her character in my opinion -- she was smart enough to use them in the 40's stories so why not have it continue to the modern era?

She also used the bots in her small appearance in the New 52.
    I definitely feel that Byna being a roboticist is even more important to her character than the chemical compound blue snow, which was originally her father's creation. The robots however were all her even in her original appearance.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

One aspect I liked about Byrna was that she had a stutter in her civilian guise, but didn't seem to have one as the Blue Snowman. A male persona that may also have been modeled after her father (?- have to re-read).

Some interesting stuff going on there. For a Golden Age villain, she seems like a more distinct individual than most, even among WW's quirky Golden Age rogues. I think Paula, Priscilla and Psycho are the only other ones that really stand out personality wise like that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    One aspect I liked about Byrna was that she had a stutter in her civilian guise, but didn't seem to have one as the Blue Snowman. A male persona that may also have been modeled after her father (?- have to re-read).

Some interesting stuff going on there. For a Golden Age villain, she seems like a more distinct individual than most, even among WW's quirky Golden Age rogues. I think Paula, Priscilla and Psycho are the only other ones that really stand out personality wise like that.
    Am I the only one who hopes any revamp means getting rid of the name Byrna? I'm not sure anyone younger than 80 has that name today.

I do like the idea of a male persona giving her more confidence, and there's a lot of social commentary that could be done with that narrative choice.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

I'm pretty sure she did stutter briefly in her Blue Snowman guise, too. I think it was a way to give a hint to the young readers of the time.

And you're right - for a character who made two appearances in the 40's, she sure did have a lot of characterization. It's a shame that people disregard her as just a silly criminal when there is so much there that could be played with (her stuttering, her own brilliant knowledge of science, her relationship to her father and why she dresses up as a middle-aged overweight man, her job as a schoolteacher, etc.). Not that I think she should be a 100% serious threat, mind you, but she's got a lot of layers going for her.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    Am I the only one who hopes any revamp means getting rid of the name Byrna? I'm not sure anyone younger than 80 has that name today.
    Nobody uses the name "Doris" anymore either yet they still use it for Giganta. I personally hate when they feel the need to come up with a new real name for a character because they feel it's too outdated. This character was created in the 40's, whaddya expect? If anything, it's the Brilyant surname that should go (not that I want it to, of course).

Fair enough, didn’t realize it but it does come off as discount Mr. Freeze.

Incredible Member

I'm pretty sure she did stutter briefly in her Blue Snowman guise, too. I think it was a way to give a hint to the young readers of the time.

And you're right - for a character who made two appearances in the 40's, she sure did have a lot of characterization. It's a shame that people disregard her as just a silly criminal when there is so much there that could be played with (her stuttering, her own brilliant knowledge of science, her relationship to her father and why she dresses up as a middle-aged overweight man, her job as a schoolteacher, etc.). Not that I think she should be a 100% serious threat, mind you, but she's got a lot of layers going for her.

Nobody uses the name "Doris" anymore either yet they still use it for Giganta. I personally hate when they feel the need to come up with a new real name for a character because they feel it's too outdated. This character was created in the 40's, whaddya expect? If anything, it's the Brilyant surname that should go (not that I want it to, of course).
    I don't like the name Doris either.

I do think Blue Snowman should be a serious threat. As I said in my revamp of the character, I think Blue Snow should be one of the most dangerous substances in the DC Universe and even be able to stop time. I could see her having enmity to Diana, Argus and Max Lord (in my particular scenario), and her army of robots makes her incredibly threatening. I also don't see what's wrong with the Blue Snowman moniker. I prefer it to Yeti.

I feel like there should be a place for sillier villains who can still be competent and have layers. Not everything has to be "end of the world level threat/blood and guts," it actually gets VERY tedious when it is.

While I'm also fine with revamping some of her old school rogues through a mythological lens when it can work and make them recognizable (Cheetah's worked out, Agent Z's idea about connecting Zara to an Ifrit, etc), I think we can just leave some of them alone and be gimmicky supervillains.

Doris is doubly annoying because she doesn't even need a civilian name. "Giganta" is her real/only name. I prefer the gorilla origin or a myth based origin tying her to giants (Norse or the Greek Gigantes), not having her be a human scientist.

And I agree about the name changes in general. While I'm quite used to thinking of her as Barbara Ann Minerva at this point, I see no reason for why the Cheetah can't have always been Dr. Priscilla Rich. I'm glad Dr. Poison always has the name "Maru" somewhere in there at least.

Mighty Member

Even the fact that she builds robots and has a robotic suit SHOULD be an easy gold mine for a villain in Wonder Woman's weight class.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    Am I the only one who hopes any revamp means getting rid of the name Byrna? I'm not sure anyone younger than 80 has that name today
    Eh...how many people today with the name Richard go by "Dick"? (Ric anyone?). I kind of like the dated names, it kind of makes their civilian names kind of stick out. Then again, my actual name was popular in the 1940's-50's and I don't know too many people my age or younger with my name so I may be biased.

Then again I also like comic booky names (i.e. the name Cylvia Cyber stands out to me over Adrianna Anderson [I mean if we can buy Harleen Quinzel becoming Harley Quinn not being ridiculously silly, I don't see why other characters need alterations.])

With Cyber, I'd probably split the difference and call her Cylvia/Sylvia Anderson.

Yeah, not sure why Rucka didn't just make her Sylvia Anderson instead of changing her first name for no reason.

Incredible Member

Even the fact that she builds robots and has a robotic suit SHOULD be an easy gold mine for a villain in Wonder Woman's weight class.

Eh...how many people today with the name Richard go by "Dick"? (Ric anyone?). I kind of like the dated names, it kind of makes their civilian names kind of stick out. Then again, my actual name was popular in the 1940's-50's and I don't know too many people my age or younger with my name so I may be biased.

Then again I also like comic booky names (i.e. the name Cylvia Cyber stands out to me over Adrianna Anderson [I mean if we can buy Harleen Quinzel becoming Harley Quinn not being ridiculously silly, I don't see why other characters need alterations.])
    But wasn't part of the reasoning for changing "Dick" also about how that word is defined in today's culture. You can't really use that word in media that targets children anymore like you could in the Dick Van Dyke days.

I think Cylvia/Sylvia is fine. Doris and Byrna are relics of their time, and they should be properly updated like the characters needed/need to be properly updated. Also, with the exception of Giganta, none of these characters are so iconic in pop culture that their names can't be updated for modern audiences, and even in the case of Giganta, I doubt anyone outside of comicdom/Wonder Woman fandom even knows her name is Doris.