Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heroclix

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Default Heroclix

Anyone play Heroclix? Always wanted to get onto it but never was able to find people to play in my town. I've seen people play online through roll20, looks like a lot of fun.

it's still a thing? man, brings back memories.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I used to be really into it back in the day. My friends, and I would play Mage Knight (HeroClix' predecessor) whenever we couldn't get a game of DnD going. When HeroClix came out, some of us migrated to it. I stopped playing about Fifteen ears ago, but got back into it for a brief spell as a collector last year. It's a fun war game, but over the years it has grown more complicated than it was intended to be. It used to be that you could know every figure's ability with just the reference pamphlet that came with the starter set, nowadays the figures each come with their own cards to explain things that aren't immediately clear on the dials.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

No, I do not play.

But some of the figures are pretty nice!

I have never played it. Do the new sets come with scenarios/ campaigns? If so, are any of those playable solo?

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I have never played it. Do the new sets come with scenarios/ campaigns? If so, are any of those playable solo?
    Some starter sets are based around specific scenarios, and have solo play missions. But they're there primarily to teach the core rules of the game so you can then move onto playing against other players.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Some starter sets are based around specific scenarios, and have solo play missions. But they're there primarily to teach the core rules of the game so you can then move onto playing against other players.
    Is that the Fantastic Four Cosmic Clash Start Set, for example? (I was just looking at that one)

So theoretically further solo scenarios could be created in the future, right?
    Last edited by hyped78; 07-08-2020 at 02:53 AM.

Is that the Fantastic Four Cosmic Clash Start Set, for example? (I was just looking at that one)

So theoretically further solo scenarios could be created in the future, right?
    I don't know if that one in particular has rules for solo play included, but IIRC the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle starter set from a few years back did.

Most starter sets are just: 6-8 figures, a game mat, rulebook, and dice. With just those you, and a friend can learn the game together. But on occasion there will be a starter set that also functions as its own game with specific scenarios, and rules for solo play. They TMNT set is the best example of that, and I'm told it's playable with figures from other sets as well.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 07-08-2020 at 06:10 AM.

Do the figures have a Power Level on them? Do the figures show who is stronger than whom, faster, more powerful energy/psychic/magic wielder?

I do not know how the game works.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Do the figures have a Power Level on them? Do the figures show who is stronger than whom, faster, more powerful energy/psychic/magic wielder?

I do not know how the game works.
    Each figure has a dial on the base for stats such as speed, attack, defense and hit points. You rotate the dial as the character loses hit points, e.g. its attack might become weaker on lower HPs.

And then each character figure comes with a card specifying its special abilities, e.g.:
    https://mtgandmore.de/HeroClix-001-D...-DC-Rebirth/en

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I don't know if that one in particular has rules for solo play included, but IIRC the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle starter set from a few years back did.

Most starter sets are just: 6-8 figures, a game mat, rulebook, and dice. With just those you, and a friend can learn the game together. But on occasion there will be a starter set that also functions as its own game with specific scenarios, and rules for solo play. They TMNT set is the best example of that, and I'm told it's playable with figures from other sets as well.
    Thanks for the explanation. I've just bought the Fantastic Four Cosmic Clash Starter Set. I have a few friends I can play it with, but also want to have the flexibility to play some solo scenarios, if possible!

Each figure has a dial on the base for stats such as speed, attack, defense and hit points. You rotate the dial as the character loses hit points, e.g. its attack might become weaker on lower HPs.

And then each character figure comes with a card specifying its special abilities, e.g.:
    Thanks.

Years ago I think I heard something like this, but that each character basically had the same stats, more or less. It is this true?

Thanks.

Years ago I think I heard something like this, but that each character basically had the same stats, more or less. It is this true?
    From what I see they are very different, both stats and abilities, between characters, e.g.: https://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823876

Also, the game has gone through different ''incarnations'' (although I believe everything is compatible), this page has the current sets: https://wizkids.com/heroclix/

Extraordinary Member

The fourth stat is damage, not hit points.

The number of hits a figure can take is the number of clicks that figure has on their dial.
    Thanks.

The stats can vary quite significantly between different figures, but there are a few typical numbers for each stat nowadays.

Speed usually goes from 6 to 11 (this is the one with the most variety)
    Attack usually goes from 9 to 12
    Defence usually goes from 16 to 18
    Damage usually goes from 1 to 5

Then there are cases where a figure has even higher stats in all categories or just one, a Flash figure for example might have a 14 in speed while the rest of his stats are pretty average.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    The fourth stat is damage, not hit points.

The number of hits a figure can take is the number of clicks that figure has on their dial.

The stats can vary quite significantly between different figures, but there are a few typical numbers for each stat nowadays.

Speed usually goes from 6 to 11 (this is the one with the most variety)
    Attack usually goes from 9 to 12
    Defence usually goes from 16 to 18
    Damage usually goes from 1 to 5

Then there are cases where a figure has even higher stats in all categories or just one, a Flash figure for example might have a 14 in speed while the rest of his stats are pretty average.
    Ah, this explains it better. This might be what appeared to be all the same stats for each character, with only minor differences. Thank you so much, Dark Soul # 7!