Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heroclix

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Do the figures have a Power Level on them? Do the figures show who is stronger than whom, faster, more powerful energy/psychic/magic wielder?

I do not know how the game works.
    I think it's also important to point out that each character has a "point value" which indicates how strong they are.

The game is really fun for comic fans, but super complex which can be a turn off for casual gamers. There are like 40 generic powers that you have to remember, plus nowadays each character has anywhere from one to five-ish "special" abilities listed on their character cards. My gaming group doesn't play heroclix anymore because they're overwhelmed by it.

There's also definitely power creep, aka the old pieces are not nearly as good as the stuff from the last few years. Fortunately, there are so many sets that even B, C, and D-listers get one or more figures. My gurl Anaconda has had 5 dials herself!

Anyone else has had experience with playing the game solo, through either the Scenarios or other setups/ rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I think it's also important to point out that each character has a "point value" which indicates how strong they are.

The game is really fun for comic fans, but super complex which can be a turn off for casual gamers. There are like 40 generic powers that you have to remember, plus nowadays each character has anywhere from one to five-ish "special" abilities listed on their character cards. My gaming group doesn't play heroclix anymore because they're overwhelmed by it.
    here's also definitely power creep, aka the old pieces are not nearly as good as the stuff from the last few years. Fortunately, there are so many sets that even B, C, and D-listers get one or more figures. My gurl Anaconda has had 5 dials herself!
    Thank you. I like simplicity. This game is not for me.

But, like I originally said, I have seen a few figures and they look cool! Would be nice to get some of favorite characters, if they make them.

Do they have any of: Thumbelina, Starhawk, Thundra, Valkyrie or Phoenix IX??

Extraordinary Member

But, like I originally said, I have seen a few figures and they look cool! Would be nice to get some of favorite characters, if they make them.

I don't think there's any Thumbelina fig. But there's a few Starhawk figs, one Thundra and plenty of Valkyrie and Phoenix figs.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

HeroClix has definitely gotten overly complicated through the years, and earlier figures are just plain incompatible with more recent figures. Back in the day when most characters only had one figure there was a ranking system that affected point value, and ability scores. One of the many things that HC inherited from Mage Knight. But eventually they moved towards characters having multiple sculpts in various sets with wildly varying stats/abilities.

The real fun part of Modern HeroClix is just how many properties have had sets, and how for the most part they're all game legal. If you want to see who would win in a fight; Frodo Baggins, Ezio Auditore, James T. Kirk, and Wolverine VERSUS Batman, Ryu (From Street Fighter), Hulk Hogan, and Master Chief. You can just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Anyone else has had experience with playing the game solo, through either the Scenarios or other setups/ rules?
    I've never played solo myself, but here are a few helpful links.

HC Realms thread on playing solo (The forums in general are very helpful for new players.)
    A simple guide to solo play for general battles (Will require knowing the general rules.)
    Custom Solo Scenario (It's X-Men themed but you can work around that.)

Hopefully these will help a bit, it's a war game so it's designed for competition but it's been around long enough that there are both official, and unofficial solo play styles.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

No Thumbelina. They've had a number of X-Men sets, but no love for the Mutant Liberation Front as of yet.

Thundra has had some in the past, and she's going to be in the upcoming Fantastic Four set.

Valkyrie has had a ton.

None for Phoenix IX.

A great site for looking up who has them is HC Realms. They used to include pictures of the sculpts but they don't seem to do it for recent sets anymore.

I really like that the game has been around long enough that characters that didn't even exist when the game first launched now have their figures, and sets. I got back into collecting a year or two ago when they released the Marvel "What if..." set, and I realized that all of the Runaways now had figures. They even had their own Fast Forces set of the whole team last year, based on the relaunch. It's neat.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    HeroClix has definitely gotten overly complicated through the years, and earlier figures are just plain incompatible with more recent figures. Back in the day when most characters only had one figure there was a ranking system that affected point value, and ability scores. One of the many things that HC inherited from Mage Knight. But eventually they moved towards characters having multiple sculpts in various sets with wildly varying stats/abilities.

The real fun part of Modern HeroClix is just how many properties have had sets, and how for the most part they're all game legal. If you want to see who would win in a fight; Frodo Baggins, Ezio Auditore, James T. Kirk, and Wolverine VERSUS Batman, Ryu (From Street Fighter), Hulk Hogan, and Master Chief. You can just do it.

I've never played solo myself, but here are a few helpful links.

HC Realms thread on playing solo (The forums in general are very helpful for new players.)
    A simple guide to solo play for general battles (Will require knowing the general rules.)
    Custom Solo Scenario (It's X-Men themed but you can work around that.)

Hopefully these will help a bit, it's a war game so it's designed for competition but it's been around long enough that there are both official, and unofficial solo play styles.
    Thank you! The game has no hidden information, right? Meaning that a player knows exactly what the other player has, unlike e.g. Magic the Gathering

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I don't think there's any Thumbelina fig. But there's a few Starhawk figs, one Thundra and plenty of Valkyrie and Phoenix figs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    No Thumbelina. They've had a number of X-Men sets, but no love for the Mutant Liberation Front as of yet.

Thundra has had some in the past, and she's going to be in the upcoming Fantastic Four set.

Valkyrie has had a ton.

None for Phoenix IX.

A great site for looking up who has them is HC Realms. They used to include pictures of the sculpts but they don't seem to do it for recent sets anymore.
    Thank you both.

I will have to look for Starhawk, Thundra in the new FF collection and Valkyrie (Brunhilde from the Defenders).

They need to make Thumbelina and Phoenix IX!! I would definitely buy these!!

Stop making endless iterations (which I am sure they did)--a few are okay--- of certain characters (yes, I am looking at you Captain America, Iron Man, Cyclops, Wolverine).

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Thank you! The game has no hidden information, right? Meaning that a player knows exactly what the other player has, unlike e.g. Magic the Gathering
    Generally no. You don't have to reveal all information about your figures that aren't immediately apparent, but if your opponent asks to see a figure's card for clarification on something you don't withhold it. I believe that used to be an informal rule of courtesy, but now it's explicitly stated in newer books.

I don’t know if you guys play other Superhero themed board and card games but I have everything from Marvel VS 2PCG (not to be confused with the original VS System, this is the new LCG; it plays a lot like Magic the Gathering but I think it is very well done), Legendary Marvel (base game plus quite a few expansions; I think it is good but not great), Marvel Dice Masters (the weakest of these 3, IMO). I have never played Marvel Champions (new LCG from FFG) or DC Deck-Builder, and just made my first Heroclix order today.
    Last edited by hyped78; 07-28-2020 at 09:26 AM.

I haven't played many outside of HeroClix, and one or two sessions of modified Dungeons & Dragons to be superhero themed. I guess HeroClix is the only real connection between my first love of war-gaming, and my second love of comic books.

Extraordinary Member

Got to play some heroclix the other day for the first time in a long while. Had a lot of fun.

I had one 500 point team and one 300 point team.

The 500 point team was a Spider-man Family team with a lot of great synergy. They did really well but could take down a super annoying Q fig from the latest Star Trek set.

My 300 point team was an oddball Avengers duo of Ares and the Immortal Hulk, two figs I'd never used before. Ares got his ass kicked in every match while the Immortal Hulk basically did all the work and tore through the opposing team on his own, which was a delightful surprise.

Are there any video tutorials that you guys recommend, to learn the rules?

Extraordinary Member

Wizkids, the company that makes the game, released a few tutorial videos a few years ago: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...KcSWRv9XYhuzbn

You get the basics, but I do believe that there have been at least one major rule overhaul since they were posted.